First Time I've Ever Bought a New RC Car

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: First Time I've Ever Bought a New RC Car

Post by Basher67 »

I agree. I think there might be too many out there that are spoiled from the instant gratification era of RTR's. The important thing to note, is that all the correct screws were there and in the correct quantities. Also, there was a bag of "additional fasteners" that was labeled as such. I thought this was a nice feature. The guy in the video made snide comments about it being because they knew about their own lack of quality control. I found this to be ridiculous. In my mind, I was thinking it will be nice to have an assortment of screws to replace one down the road if I strip out the head on one or one backs out and gets lost on the track. Maybe someone here can chime in with a different experience. Maybe I got lucky and got a good kit. The owner of the track I race at has built dozens of these and he told me he feels the same way as me about kit quality. I do have a thought on the buggy itself, but not really a complaint. These come with a slipper clutch that sticks out of the body that I don't care for. I know many will claim that slipper clutches save gears and transmissions and blah, blah, blah. I can tell you that every single racer that I know who has a b6 has changed out their top shaft and eliminated the slipper clutch. This was recommended to me by many local racers as a "first upgrade". These would be cheaper for AE to produce since a nice quality eliminator kit runs about $15---much cheaper than a slipper clutch assembly. They also have less rotating mass, and as the final bonus, it makes the body a lot nicer to take on and off with no adjuster nut and spring sticking out of the side. After 2 months at the track, practicing and racing, I've yet to see anyone have a gear or transmission failure. These are purpose built cars for a very specific application and a slipper is just not necessary. I threw in a couple pics of the bare car today. I should have my motor and speed control on thurday. I went with a Hobbywing blinky esc and a Reedy Mach3 17.5 motor for the stock buggy class. I'll try to get some paint thrown on the body between now and then and get some more pics.
Attachments
DSC01366.JPG
DSC01369.JPG
DSC01368.JPG
DSC01367.JPG