Looking for a basher for my wife.

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kaare-65

Looking for a basher for my wife.

Post by Kaare-65 »

I am not sure where else to put this and I hope everyone is ok with me posting this here.

I am not and have never really been a basher, when I was a kid I did the "lets see how big of a jump I can take this off", until I broke something that was difficult to get replacements for.....and then I went back to regular driving.

My wife has cancer (about 4 years ago, but she still lives with it), and she has a high stress and demanding job in NICU in the worlds larges med center. While talking about R/C cars and trucks a few weeks ago she mentioned she wanted something that she could beat the hell out of. I described different vehicles and she wants the basher......as a method of venting.

First thing: I don't want a Traxxas.
Question: not sure what to go with, entry or spend some extra cash and get something better.
Will the entry level or cheaper buggies/trucks lack aftermarket and replacement parts.
Is an RC8.2e too much for a basher?
found this one on ebay but the guy doesn't know what make or model it is and I was wondering if someone had any idea.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323197881561?_trksid=p2050430.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI323197881561.N36.S2.R3.TR3

mikea96
Approved Member

Re: Looking for a basher for my wife.

Post by mikea96 »

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I was all ready to tell you to go for a Stampede. :lol: They really are a lot of fun and you can go anywhere for parts. I get it tho. The problem is finding something with decent parts support if she is going to bash it.

You might just build her up an old school truck conversion off a gold pan. They can be a lot of fun and take a good beating. I have front bumper/body mounts and probably even wheels for you. Grab some knarly tires (monster beetle style are my favorite) and a body and let her rip it.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Kaare-65

Post by Kaare-65 »

I should have posted this under general/chit chat, If someone wants to move it to the general section, please do so.

I understand that Traxxas is a go to one for bashers all over the place.....so I should really go that way.

I have thought of an RC10 conversion, and I already have a pan that has been used hard and I will not use for anything other than a basher type project. I think I might have an RC10T chassis hanging around, but It is missing a bunch of stuff, so i'll have to track down pieces.

will an rc10 conversion with a brushless setup handle the bashing?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Kaare-65 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:27 pm I should have posted this under general/chit chat, If someone wants to move it to the general section, please do so.

I understand that Traxxas is a go to one for bashers all over the place.....so I should really go that way.

I have thought of an RC10 conversion, and I already have a pan that has been used hard and I will not use for anything other than a basher type project. I think I might have an RC10T chassis hanging around, but It is missing a bunch of stuff, so i'll have to track down pieces.

will an rc10 conversion with a brushless setup handle the bashing?
I’d go with a mild brushless and a stealth trans, I think you will be just fine!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

7 pints of Stella Artois , it known as wife beater here in the UK .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Tamlok
Approved Member

Post by Tamlok »

How about a short course style truck? With the big body, no parts hang out, less likely to snag an a-arm or wheel. I have a SC10.2 and it is very solid, used it for some backyard racing.
This is on clearance.
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/7070R-ASC7070R-prorally_4wd_brushless_rtr_refurbished/

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

As for a basher I'd stick to your first question with the rc8b in whichever mode. Even a used one will take a helluva beating without letting her down. They are still easy to find parts for but most often with an 1/8 scale you don't have to worry about fixing them. Pretty much indestructable...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Kaare-65

Post by Kaare-65 »

Thanks for the info, I like the idea of a short course truck and not having all the hanging body parts.

I am deciding to do a few things......and like most things I do it is probably over kill.
- I bought a Pro-Line Pro 2 and it is on the way, I like the idea that it is a short course truck and I can change it out for a short course buggy by getting one kit.....which should be on the way by now also.
- I am looking for an RC8, or another 1/8 scale, I've really been wanting to mess around with 1/8 scale and I think getting one for my wife and I to mess around with would be a fun next step....but we might have to get a second one if we fight over it.
- I am interested in building up an RC10 truck. I currently have an Andy's conversion that I bought a while ago, but it ended up being way to nice to beat up (it was almost in untouched condition). I am still using it, but just taking it easy and not screwing it up too much.
GoMachV, Do you still have those parts that you mentioned and would it be cool to drop you a line about them?