GoMachV’s 3d printing thread

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: GoMachV’s 3d printing thread

Post by GoMachV »

Dans is the other thread ;-) but...I’m using Fusion 360 and I use the Titans of CNC Academy training. It’s free, just join in and watch the videos. It’s very good material!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

RadioFlyer

Post by RadioFlyer »

GoMachV wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 am Dans is the other thread ;-) but...I’m using Fusion 360 and I use the Titans of CNC Academy training. It’s free, just join in and watch the videos. It’s very good material!
Sorry, had a brain fart. Too much time making circles and extruding faces. :P
Thanks, I'll check those out. :D

Sean 8)
Sean 8)

I'm going to drive it 'til the wheels fall off and burn.

RadioFlyer

Post by RadioFlyer »

tamiyadan wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am best way to learn is by using, you get stuck then research to try and find a way to get unstuck and get better at using it.
you can watch all the tutorials in the world but without a practical application it either doesn't stick or you understand what you saw but your brain didn't link it.
Like you can watch 100s of hours of how to rebuild an engine but then when you attempt it you instantly get stuck and have to go back and start over watching all the videos from the start because now you are linking hands on with what was happening in the videos.

Fusion is very frustrating because your mind knows what you want to do but you have no idea how to tell fusion what you want it to do.

start small gain skill with each thing you try and fail at. you learn from failure not success.

I'm still a novice there are countless things i know i can not do in fusion or not sure how.

the largest project i attempted so far has been the FWD 1/12 pan car. I think the scariest part is realizing you have have to make everything or pull in stuff to create that world a project lives in. Like you have to make the Screws, you have to make the bearings, the motor, etc whatever will be used for mock up you must create. so i spend days maybe weeks creating a servo motor, the 540 motor, the ball joints. to get enough together to start to define the project, and then 100,000 revisions later you have something clear which you can edit on. when you first start out you don't even know which way is up.
I've been learning it that way up to now. The thing is there are usually several ways to create a part but some methods are just easier than others. Also, many times there is a feature that automagically does what you want instead of having to do it all manually but you have to know about the feature in order to use it. It's good to have resources to help you along the way.

Sean 8)
Sean 8)

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Another trinket I’ve wanted to make for a while now. Since the felt gaskets are gone and I don’t work with neoprene or felt anyway, I figured a simple dust shield could be printed up. I need to tweak a couple small things but you get the idea.

Won’t fit the rere case. The webbing is in the way and prevents sealing. I have messed with trying to work around the webbing but I can’t stand the rere case anyway
24576752-4289-4F01-911F-648E04766F26.jpeg
A20DB52F-15DC-4A66-9558-C23A9830494A.jpeg
0411959B-6AEC-41FA-BD08-1E03F4C25195.jpeg
D201A9B0-16CE-47D4-98C6-51F92ED7E0AC.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RadioFlyer

Post by RadioFlyer »

Nice. :D
Sean 8)

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Slick part!
Bum on Direct Deposit

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I finally had some time to spend on my Creality machine. I was taking it slow and trying to make sure it was perfect- and I’ve been fighting it every step. My prints would end up starting at 0,0 even though I was telling it to start at 150,150 in cura (come to find out I had to uncheck a box to make it work correctly). The when it did print in the right spot, it would not get the first layer down. I tried adjusting the bed up and down, nothing worked. The material was coming out round but very thin- like it had a nozzle that was smaller than it should be. About 1/4 of the original filament diameter. I checked and rechecked my settings (even though they were from the official cura database) and even tried some google supplied settings. Nothing worked. Finally I grabbed the original Sd card that came with the machine and decided I would try the cat. Without tweaking anything besides the bed temp (they had it down at 40*?!) it printed beautifully.

Now I’m at a crossroads. Figure out cura, and deal with their constant updates and changes. Learn something new- I have already downloaded and played with Ideamaker which seems cool. Or, and I’m leaning towards this one, paying for Simplify3D and being done with it. I’ve watched plenty of videos and read plenty of reviews, it seems like for the money the worst it prints is still as good or better than the best of the others. Decisions decisions.

Here’s what it was doing with a simple box shape
D70FBFFC-B862-4C2A-BE03-A9613DA8CAED.jpeg
Printing underway with the supplied cat file
E87A2D11-03EA-4028-907D-FC9B56FEACCE.jpeg
The finished cat. The detail is great. Very pleased.
C9CDE83D-2E09-4E7D-8C08-176EFE2A3325.jpeg
Here is the cat alongside my test cat from my monoproce mini
00957F24-9AA4-43D0-991A-05C46F614159.jpeg
Factory Works website

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Been playing around learning more as I go. Here’s my Digger 20

Still working on the ball diff,for something of this size I’m not worried about melting it. It will use a 130 motor

I have no idea what tires I’ll end up with so wheels aren’t done yet
Attachments
68EB26B8-DE21-4DB0-A240-3E937820641F.jpeg
A054203C-6B26-4CAD-B549-0DE652D2361A.jpeg
0C39CF9A-D0B9-48F9-BCE5-1786A3CB57C5.jpeg
198BE3B1-2E96-42F2-8B77-90C1FD7421FB.jpeg
Factory Works website

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Hey Jeff, do you think you will go forward with a payed subscription to Fusion when your free student trial period ends? Not sure but I think I read somewhere that it's like $25/month (annual commitment) for a basic package which really isn't too bad. I've spent some time today watching Titans and Lars how-to videos and Fusion appears to be almost as powerful as Inventor for parametric modeling. Still, I guess I'm reluctant to invest time to learn a program that might go away in a year or more. Have you and Dan given any thought to what you will do long-term? Maybe something else will come along??
Doug

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The hobbyist level doesn’t have an expiration currently. As long as your making under a certain amount (which I don’t sell my printed items anyway, at least currently) they don’t charge for it. If that goes away, I suspect the $25 a month will quadruple as well in which case I won’t keep using it. There are other programs out there that you don’t have to “rent” and that would be my preference. Honestly as buggy as Fusion is I couldn’t see paying for it.
Factory Works website