== Who the Heck Are You? ==

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

NWarty
Approved Member

Re: == Who the Heck Are You? ==

Post by NWarty »

It's been four years since I first posted here but have lurked for a long time.

Blake
43 years old
from Olympia, WA
Work in IT

Got my first Tamiya in April 1986, a Wild One. Raced competitively in the late 80's, sponsored by MRP running GP-10's. Moved on to Bolink Eliminators running Schkee bodies and got out of the hobby in the early 90's. Mostly raced on road and bashed off road. Discovered Tamiyas again when I deployed overseas in 2004 with the Army and re-ignited my nostalgia for these old buggies. Brother had a RC10 with Hot Trick sprint conversion, then moved to an RC10T.

Then:
Tamiya Wild One
Kyosho Optima
RC-10 Gold pan
RC12
MRP GP10
Bolink Eliminator 10
RC500

Now. Currently 100% restored and drivable:
Wild One
Frog
Grasshopper
Hornet (re-re)
Hotshot
Falcon
Fox
Bigwig (re-re)
Midnight Pumpkin custom
Grasshopper II x 3 (1 stock, 2 Super G's)
Wild Willy 2 custom
WLtoys a959 x2 (1/18, one red, one blue)

Looking to branch out to a more modern racing buggy, ca. 1993-ish Yokes or something 4wd. Current gold pan prices have me like "wut????"
A bit different

Devilbrad
Approved Member

Post by Devilbrad »

Brad
California
Shop foreman of a Mazda dealership

Ylandiepak

Post by Ylandiepak »

Hi to all I'm a James. UI/UX designer

coxbros1
Approved Member

Post by coxbros1 »

My name is Derek
I have an identical twin brother too, very similar username, so dont get confused!
Born in 72'
Kens cousin (Thumbs)
Been in rc since 87
Have owned hundreds of rc's, most of which were sold on Ebay for pennies on the dollar
race 1/8 nitro buggy, 1/10 2wd carpet buggy
Restore vintage rc's, mainly nitro
Resized952019021695184203.jpg
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Jerry
Born in '82
Project manager
1 son, 2 step daughters, engaged
Just recently back into rc, have rc10t4.3. Relearning the ropes of rc after a 20+ year hiatus, so open to advice about everything.
FB_IMG_1518706988547.jpg

brn2fly

Post by brn2fly »

My name is Andy
I’m a 72’ model
Started into RC in 1985 with a Tamiya Grasshopper, left the hobby for almost 20 years.
I currently have about 50 RC cars and trucks and 30 planes.
I race dirt oval and parking lot oval. Hoping to start racing off road again soon.
Other hobbies are fishing, flying RC planes, and fishing.
Pilot
Attachments
7F0EEA66-8FB4-4983-91E9-B9090B3F0196.jpeg

Essejay
Approved Member

Post by Essejay »

Hi!

My first name is Sebastien; I'm 42 years old.

I'm french, that's why my messages are written with lots of mistakes, but I will try to improve my level by coming and reading more posts on RC10talk!

Have a happy new year!

GarySmith
Approved Member

Post by GarySmith »

Essejay wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:59 am Hi!

My first name is Sebastien; I'm 42 years old.

I'm french, that's why my messages are written with lots of mistakes, but I will try to improve my level by coming and reading more posts on RC10talk!

Have a happy new year!
Sebastien, I'm American and English is my first language, but I'll probably make more mistakes than you when writing ;)

GarySmith
Approved Member

Post by GarySmith »

I'm Gary, I noticed this thread was started back in 2006. It's nice to see feedback from everyone.

To the meat of it. I'm a 47 year old guy who works for a candy company as a software architect and I have been away for 10+ years from this hobby. I have managed to tote along 2 large crates and and a few support boxes for the entire time. I needed to clean my garage and it was time to make the decision of toss or use.

I've decided that I will rebuild my bet electric and sell my two nitro's. Nothing is in bad shape, it just all needs some TLC. I will probably post the nitro's here once I can and see if people are interested in them before selling the on elsewhere. I'm going to strip everything, clean, and rebuilt in the next week. It was on my todo list for this weekend but I got site tracked.

Johanp
Approved Member

Post by Johanp »

Hi everyone!

I'm Johan.
Born in 1973 in the south of Sweden.
I work as a mechanical engineer.

Got into rc in my early teens since my best friends father had a small hobby shop.

Started by sharing a Hotshot with my brother.

The local racetrack is close to where I grew up and the local club is one of the oldest in Sweden founded 1979.
I was active there for about 15 years.

Started racing a Kyosho Turbo Ultima and then got my first Losi. It was a Jrx2 that evolved into something Jrx Pro: ish with long Kyosho gold shocks all around. Then the Pro SE followed by the XX and finally the XX Cr that was my last competition byggy.
In parallell I raced 1:10 scale pan cars. Started with a Bolink and then moving over to Corally.

Had my fair share of success at regional level.

Then I stopped for 20 years and got into vintage rc last year when my dad asked if he could throw out all the rc stuff he found in the basement. :)

shaveradam
Approved Member

Post by shaveradam »

Wrote a post in the intro area today, but saw this and figured I would post here as well.

Name is Adam, from Northern Illinois. 36 years old, and have been a long time lurker, recent RC10 collector it seems. I've been into RC since a very young age (30 years now) and have recently acquired a few RC10s. I've had many other Associated vehicles (TC3, NTC3, SC10, SC10GT, RC10GT, RC10GT2, T3, T4.2, T5M, T6.1GT, RC8T3.1E, etc.) but have only recently gotten any true RC10s. I found locally a NIB RC10 Edinger that had previously started assembly, front suspension only, and all other parts were still new in package. I then found an awesome deal on an RC10 Worlds ReRe. A family member asked me if I'd be interested in an older car they had, turned out to be an RC10CE. And lastly, I purchased an RC10T that was in great shape along with another Worlds ReRe that will need some TLC. Hope to learn much from this board as I'll be assembling the remainder of the Edinger, refurbishing the CE and beat up Worlds ReRe. Overall, my favorites have always been the TC3 series and Nitro TC3s.

If you care to see, I posted a bunch of photos of most of my collection on the welcome page

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=46097&p=522030#p522030

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

I am a father of 2 who is getting back into RC. I've worked way to much and want to show my kids that adults can do things that are enjoyable. So this isn't a side hustle or another way to make a extra few bucks a week.

Getting back into RC is exposing my sons to machines, cad and 3d printing in a way that seems fun.
I am currently restoring my 3rd RC car with an interesting rebuild of my second. Getting them involved seems to mean giving over artistic license. "Let's do more flames"

The Radioshack golden arrow as my first real RC and my last car was an RC10 team car.

Work right now is in science, while I have worked in art, IT and agriculture(picking crops), as well. I live in SoCal and so far have not run across the mythical stash of unopened new associated kits that a kindly old shop owner was going to throw out.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

JosephS wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:08 pm I live in SoCal and so far have not run across the mythical stash of unopened new associated kits that a kindly old shop owner was going to throw out.
If those existed, us other SoCal locals would have sniffed them out :) there are still plenty of cars in garages and closets out here, just need to stay diligent.

Welcome to the board...
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

Brian, 42 years old from Northern California. Always wanted to get into RC when I was young, could never seem to afford it then. Now I can, and am having a blast. I'm a mechanic/fabricator, so doing it at scale is fun for me. My collection includes a Kyosho Dirt Road 10, RC10T, RC10GTE, B3, Stampede, Rustler/Bandit, Slash based Drag car, Tamiya Rally Beetle, and an Everest 10 Crawler.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Older, and a lot less wiser
Attachments
IMG_20211005_092231.jpg