Team Blue Groove

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Re: Team Blue Groove

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

gomachv wrote:Sweet! My Lola, Kremer Porsche, pantera, and new repour of the TOJ are done as well :mrgreen:
Got to have that Lola! :shock: I've been outbid on several originals. Glad I didn't win one of them now.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:There's more of a demand for a Vega funny car body than a Buick Grand National?? Weird... :roll:
It's the blower man! The blower! :mrgreen: Actually I would like a Grand National too. The more vintage bodies we have the better I say.
I agree, and I even bought an uber-rare 1:10 GN body from one of those Walmart toy RC's with a '86 Regal body, it'd be perfect to make a Lexan GN body mold from, and offered it to TBG--they weren't interested. :roll: I guess they'd rather let someone else do all the work and use an existing Lexan GN body to make a mold. The problem is, no GN body exists in Lexan!

I wonder how many Vega funny car bodies TBG will sell? I guarantee it'd be hundreds less than a GN body if such a body was available to the public...maybe thousands. I'm on a Turbo Buick forum and LOTS of people have been pining for a 1:10 GN body.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That is super cool! Do you have a picture of what it would look like on that chassis? I am curious if it would fit my Bolink sport I just built for drag racing...

Edit, I will not fit. :( I looked it up and it is only 161mm wide in the rear. I need something over 200mm.
Jeff

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Coelacanth wrote:
PlastiZapCA+ wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:There's more of a demand for a Vega funny car body than a Buick Grand National?? Weird... :roll:
It's the blower man! The blower! :mrgreen: Actually I would like a Grand National too. The more vintage bodies we have the better I say.
I agree, and I even bought an uber-rare 1:10 GN body from one of those Walmart toy RC's with a '86 Regal body, it'd be perfect to make a Lexan GN body mold from, and offered it to TBG--they weren't interested. :roll: I guess they'd rather let someone else do all the work and use an existing Lexan GN body to make a mold. The problem is, no GN body exists in Lexan!

I wonder how many Vega funny car bodies TBG will sell? I guarantee it'd be hundreds less than a GN body if such a body was available to the public...maybe thousands. I'm on a Turbo Buick forum and LOTS of people have been pining for a 1:10 GN body.
TBG will only do it if it is already a lexan body. I guess they can't pour the fiberglass mould from the body you offered or they thought it would be too much trouble. Looks to be a tricky process from what I've seen.

I could of sworn there was 1/10 lexan GN body back in the 90's. Or was it 1/12? I sure seem to remember one.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

SFC K wrote:That is super cool! Do you have a picture of what it would look like on that chassis? I am curious if it would fit my Bolink sport I just built for drag racing...

Edit, I will not fit. :( I looked it up and it is only 161mm wide in the rear. I need something over 200mm.

Here it is sitting on my RC12E. The rear wheel openings are very wide so you do have some wiggle room back there.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

SFC K wrote: Edit, I will not fit. :( I looked it up and it is only 161mm wide in the rear. I need something over 200mm.
That's a shame I was just looking over your project. I have some Bolink bodies that won't fit my 12E's too. Seems some of the bodies have a different wheel base.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:
SFC K wrote: Edit, I will not fit. :( I looked it up and it is only 161mm wide in the rear. I need something over 200mm.
That's a shame I was just looking over your project. I have some Bolink bodies that won't fit my 12E's too. Seems some of the bodies have a different wheel base.
I thought they were all 1/12 but I guess that is not the case.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I am just glad Teambluegroove list all the dimensions. I am going one by one in there store now. LOL...
Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:I could of sworn there was 1/10 lexan GN body back in the 90's. Or was it 1/12? I sure seem to remember one.
There was a Buick stock car body that was nothing close to the GN body style, and Parma (I think) made a Monte Carlo body that was similar--but no Regal T-Type/GN body was ever produced. Trust me, I've researched this to death. I have a GN and would dearly love a GN RC body. That's why I bought that 1:10 hard plastic body, hoping someone could take the ball and run with it. So far, it's a dead end... :(
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

We could shrink that bolink down to a 1/12 if you don't mind some work, but I'd sell you a 12e roller a lot cheaper 8)

I agree on copying the hard plastic body, if you consider for example the window areas, usually they are "in" quite a bit on a hard shell with the window being a separate piece. If they were to try to mold that, they wouldn't be able to get the mold to release from the plastic, it would be "tabbed". Also, bumper areas, the curve of the sides, all of that would have to be made to work with lexan. I could see it being a lot of work.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

EVERYTHING worthwhile is a lot of work. ;)

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Coelacanth wrote: I agree, and I even bought an uber-rare 1:10 GN body from one of those Walmart toy RC's with a '86 Regal body, it'd be perfect to make a Lexan GN body mold from, and offered it to TBG--they weren't interested. :roll: I guess they'd rather let someone else do all the work and use an existing Lexan GN body to make a mold. The problem is, no GN body exists in Lexan!
Remoulding a lexan body is nothing more complicated than supporting the shell in place and pouring metal filled resin into it. Drill vent holes where necessary, easy to work out where to drill as they will already be marked on the old body, and it's ready for vac forming.

Taking a hard body as a start means first modifying it so the vac forming will pull off by filling in undercuts and sealing holes and wheel arches, then taking a moulding from the body that you can then use to create the vac forming pattern. All of it is pretty simple stuff to anyone with decent modelmaking skills but it does take a lot longer than just pouring a load of resin into a ready made mould. It's something I want to try myself with a couple of hard bodies that should also sell if in lexan.

Of course then there's the chance that TBG would just buy the body and repop their own as he doesn't seem to have any morals about remaking current bodyshells.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

terry.sc wrote:Of course then there's the chance that TBG would just buy the body and repop their own as he doesn't seem to have any morals about remaking current bodyshells.
Can I get an amen.....

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

scr8p wrote:
terry.sc wrote:Of course then there's the chance that TBG would just buy the body and repop their own as he doesn't seem to have any morals about remaking current bodyshells.
Can I get an amen.....
Amen!
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

TBGs days will be numbered once the Chinese start copying his copied bodies. :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Guys will have to start building 1/11 scale cars for the bodies to fit properly. :lol: