Team Blue Groove

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Team Blue Groove

Post by Phin »

scr8p wrote:Guys will have to start building 1/11 scale cars for the bodies to fit properly. :lol:
Fine by me...I would love a HPI RS10GW. :mrgreen:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

When China copies something it is ok, expected even. But if your Canadian watch out... :roll:

I'd much sooner send my money to TBG, say what you will but he has always been great to me and responded quickly to any questions. Try that with a Chinese knockoff.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind, but honestly if you don't like the bodies I just wouldn't buy them. I have only had one issue so far and it was resolved quickly and made more than right to me. I was not involved in the early days with sub par material, all of mine have been thicker and stronger than what I sent.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

They could be the bentley of r/c car bodies and I still wouldn't buy one. Simply out of principle.

Hell, I have a couple bodies I had thought of selling. But with how quick some of you guys are to ship bodies off to tbg (which is totally your choice to do) i'd sooner throw them on a friggin campfire.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I can see how this would be a problem for collectors of original bodies. Does it kill value for collectors? Probably does to some extent. I would expect an original to still hold value though.

What about people that actually want to use the body or have one for a restored shelfer? Some of those bodies are going for over sixty dollars a pop on e-Bay. I've lost so many auctions for 1/12 bodies that I've given up looking for the rarer ones anymore. Why not make that body available for everyone to enjoy?

What good would my funny car body do me if I just kept it? Too rare to run and the value would probably be killed if I cut it out and mounted it. I plan on using this body as it was intended and not just sticking it in the closet or on a shelf to collect dust. I prefer to share it with everyone that wants it.

Just my two cents anyway. To each his own.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

My feeling towards them has nothing to do with thr collectibilty of a body. It comes down to business practice. When I can pull some pics off my screwed computer, you will understand.

Its a morals thing.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I know there was talk in the past about something with them and mr lexan. I don't know the details but is the body in question one that TBG still offers? If so, which one? I will gladly start looking for an original and send it to them. Mr lexan would have a good portion of my business but he isn't producing anymore and isn't even answering PM's. I would be willing to bet TBG would buy the molds from him if he is "done". (I have bought a few things off me lexan on eBay lately, can't say I have tried emailing him there)

Scr8p, I know what your saying and a copy of a copy isn't right. The problem is the first copy isn't "right" either so it's almost like a scammer scamming a scammer unless mr lexan had the rights to the body in the first place.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Dirtdiver wrote:TBGs days will be numbered once the Chinese start copying his copied bodies. :lol:
He already has, guess whose repro bodies Penguin Custom started with. :lol:
At least Penguin has moved on and now produces alternative bodies for modern chassis.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

gomachv wrote:I know there was talk in the past about something with them and mr lexan. I don't know the details but is the body in question one that TBG still offers? If so, which one? I will gladly start looking for an original and send it to them. Mr lexan would have a good portion of my business but he isn't producing anymore and isn't even answering PM's. I would be willing to bet TBG would buy the molds from him if he is "done". (I have bought a few things off me lexan on eBay lately, can't say I have tried emailing him there)

Scr8p, I know what your saying and a copy of a copy isn't right. The problem is the first copy isn't "right" either so it's almost like a scammer scamming a scammer unless mr lexan had the rights to the body in the first place.
tbg is part of the reason mrlexan has taken a break from it. why should he produce more bodies to help add to tbg's catalog?

yes, the one that really brought it to light is still available through tbg. but if he used one of mrlexan's shells to make his own, how many other did he use? you could run down a list of all the bodies jay made and compare it to tbg's. if they both offer the same one, i would question every one tbg makes. so are you going to help replace them all for him? and what does it really matter, it wouldn't change my feelings towards them. what's done is done.

as for the whole copy of a copy thing, i fully understand what you're saying. it's also the main reason jay couldn't really do much about it. that being said, not every body jay made is a reproduction. he owns alot of original molds. i just think it's total horse s--t (morally) for them to buy one of jay's bodies, make they're own mold of it, pull bodies, then undercut jay's price. then guys wonder where mrlexan has gone? would you continue using original bodies you paid big bucks for, waste time making molds, pulling bodies, etc., to help someone else make money? at least jay made bodies that were years out of production. i guess you could argue that tbg was too, but i think you know where i'm coming from. :wink:

i don't feel that way just because jay is a friend. he was also an admin and business member that donated quite a bit of time and money to this site. i felt the same way when that uk decal maker was repopping the boxart decal sheets doug created and sold. that pissed doug off enough to stop making any more of those (up until a very small run recently sold on ebay). and who could blame him?

at the end of the day, those are my feelings, and they're not gonna change. all i know is it takes a lot of self control not to delete every tbg thread that pops up on this site. i know for a fact he wants nothing to do with this site. that's fine with me, i don't want this forum used as a platform for his products. which is why he doesn't have a business forum on this site that would've been run by one of our members.

please don't take any of this personally, i'm not directing anything "at" you or anyone in particular. it's just one of those things i get torqued up about. :wink:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

No offense taken, I am a new enough member that I didn't see these things go down so my dealings have always been positive.

Sorry to hear/understand that that's the deal with mr lex, as I said I would be buying from him
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i will say though, in tbg's defense, it's possible he unknowingly made repops of jay's bodies. who's to say that one of our members weren't buying jay's and shipping them to tbg just so they could get a couple free ones? which actually pisses me off more thinking about it. i know that's what happened with doug's decals.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

gomachv wrote:When China copies something it is ok, expected even. But if your Canadian watch out... :roll:

I'd much sooner send my money to TBG, say what you will but he has always been great to me and responded quickly to any questions. Try that with a Chinese knockoff.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind, but honestly if you don't like the bodies I just wouldn't buy them. I have only had one issue so far and it was resolved quickly and made more than right to me. I was not involved in the early days with sub par material, all of mine have been thicker and stronger than what I sent.
I can't think of anything that Chinese companies have copied that anyone thinks is right, the Imax B6 copies are actually dangerous.

I don't have a problem with TBG making bodies that are long out of production, but the problem is TBG is also copying current bodies that are available from the original manufacturers. Why buy a genuine Losi body for your TLR22 when you can get exactly the same from TBG. Traxxas as well, I'm sure TBG is paying the license fee to Ford that Traxxas will be paying for the Ken Block Fiesta. :roll:
Now you might not have any sympathy for big companies, but just like with mrlexan TBG are also making copies of RJ Speed and Kamtec bodies, both small one man businesses, and in the case of RJ Speed selling them for more than RJ Speed is charging for them.

As for sending off vintage shells, each to their own. I was lucky to be into collecting 1/12th 10-15 years ago when you could pick up original clear bodies cheap so I have a good collection of originals. Personally I would have a problem sending off my originals to be destroyed and replaced by 3 repros for my trouble as I would know the body on the shelfer wasn't an original, but I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to send their bodies off to him. At least in the early days TBG bought the shells he reproduced at full market price on ebay, sometimes at great expense for rare ones, now he gets them given to him for around $10 of lexan.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Too new to have know about any of this either. I certainly wouldn't condone stealing someone elses hard work or investment. The guy from TBG seems to be a really decent dude so would be surprised if he ripped someone purposely. Sucks about what happened to Mr Lexan as I too would have done much buisness with him.

popboy905
Approved Member

Post by popboy905 »

I am sending TBG a deja vu tu body for b3 and a schmacher cat xl body, undertray and belt cover. So if anyone is looking for a repo they should be available in a little bit.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

popboy905 wrote:I am sending TBG a deja vu tu body for b3 and a schmacher cat xl body, undertray and belt cover. So if anyone is looking for a repo they should be available in a little bit.
And on and on it goes... :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

popboy905 wrote:I am sending TBG a deja vu tu body for b3 and a schmacher cat xl body, undertray and belt cover. So if anyone is looking for a repo they should be available in a little bit.
Very cool, the Schuey should be a popular body for them. I don't know anything about the déjà vu

I'm expecting my last batch of donations to arrive any day. Can't wait! I have plans for them 8)
Factory Works website