cadillac rc10 upgrade

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stoggie388

Re: cadillac rc10 upgrade

Post by stoggie388 »

lol yea i was after horse power man . any way got it all patched up i am looking for a stealth transmission that can handle racing motors. any ideas ?

also will newer rims fit on this car ? i keep looking and every one says i need to get this conversion kit to the b4 or b3 . is it just that the axle is longer or thickness of the axle ? i can make metal parts so i am just curious.

another derp question can i buy tires for these rims still that are a bit more modern ?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you can pick up used stealth transmissions from ebay, or build your own from parts from associated, or buy a new trans kit. they will handle pretty much anything if built and maintained correctly. for that car, you need the 2.25:1 ratio trans, not the b2, b3 or b4 stealth trans.

as for wheels, tires, etc, the 3 pcs wheels you have are original, and you can get new replacements for the re-re gold pan classic, or convert to 2.2" wheels and use the dozens of different modern tires out there.

b3 and b4 have different offset, so they require different things to make fit correctly. the re-re worlds car uses b4 fronts with wider axles, and new b3 style rears that fit a 3/16" axle, so you can get a kit to convert to directly fit these wheels from associated.

alternatively, you can by jc racing wheels from the UK that fit 1/4" axles and 2.2" tires, although the fronts are narrower then the b4 wheels and the newer front tires.

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

im not sure i understand the tire thing so they make wheels that will fit my car stock and i can use modern tires on ? why cant i use the other transmissions ?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yes they make wheels that fit modern tires. Probably 150 threads on that topic by now. The other transmissions are not easily mounted. The 2.25:1 is designed for the gold pan.

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

lol i cant seem to find one do u have a link ?
all i get are mod ones

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

okay so after searching i found a wheel mod for me :) should have that done in 2 weeks or so .. also the 2.25 stealth any one know where i could find one of them or maybe a picture i saw a transmission made by rpm on ebay bu ti dont think this is it. the one im looking for requires no drilling yes ?

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Finding a new stealth will be pretty hard. You can buy new but you would need to order all the individual pieces as a full kit isnt sold anymore it seems. Its probably just easy to buy one off ebay and rebuild.

tower hobbies carries most parts for the transmission.
you can get the TC3 differential rebuild kit to redo the differential
avid rc has some cheap bearings
you can upgrade to the b4 top shaft like the re released worlds car has
you can also upgrade to all metal gears if you really want to put a powerful motor on it.

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

okay guys i want to thanks you all for your help i will be in here more often and hopefully learn enough about this car to be of significant help around here.

This means that i am on the home stretch and finally having fun with this beast from the past... i have created a monster :)

my old A stamped, short arm, rc10 is running here are some picks .

this is not drilled for the stealth tranny
20150120_211550.jpg
so the paint is not perfect it was cold outside and caused the body to shrink a bit from the flex paint
20150205_203955.jpg
20150205_204017.jpg
20150205_204040.jpg

for the ppl who may be wondering about the lights and if they work

20150205_204236.jpg
20150205_204245.jpg
20150205_204437.jpg
the plastic i used for the headlight mount is from an amd processor heat sink mount. i had to shave the holes a bit but it came out looking and fitting pretty good. only problem is i want my channel 3 to turn them off and on since channel 3 is just a button. i have them hooked up to channel 3 but it does nothing.

here is the guts
20150205_204510.jpg
cheap and sweet motor . super fast! ill post some vids on youtube soon when the weather gets nice and i get a hard pack lipo speaking of which,
here are the two lipos i have for this guy . the small one powers my steering servo, lights, and fan the zippy drives the car. i have run this guy for 1 hour and dropped it to 7.1v no power loss.
20150205_204525.jpg
Attachments
20150205_204610.jpg

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

20150205_204610.jpg
20150205_204714.jpg
this charger is great btw, its simple, cheap and will never kill your lipo .. plus it charges most every kind of battery known to man
20150205_205023.jpg
esc is good . it has a cheap tuner card but at least it gets reverse.
20150205_204714.jpg
i beefed the steering. i didn't actually need worlds car steering but i did that any way. my problem was the servo arm . so i extended it with a piece from the original steering.. WAY BETTER !!!! . i added extended washers on the wheels instead of the small ones that were there. this should help with protecting the front wheels when traveling at 55mph down the street.
20150205_204729.jpg
20150205_204741.jpg
ill be getting lager ones.... plus ill be adding hpi super 5 star flat black rims.

new radio much much better than the old.
20150205_204833.jpg
my problem child ! i managed to make the car drive for a while without changing anything after melting the slipper spur . i just licked the whole thing as 1 unit but alas that failed when i lost my 30 year old C clip holding the spur shaft to the tranny. so in salem oregon there is a place called r/c usa. it has an indoor track and is probably the largest hobby shop i have been to ( i have been to alot of them around oregon) any way this guy they call the guru some old time pro who has owned the joint for several years , comes up to me and i tell him about my problem with the spur and all that jazz. he did not carry an exact replacement but he looked in his old bins and in the back, couldn't find one " but " he said " we can change it from a 32 pitch to a 48 pitch and change your pinion " i said okay so he goes in the back grabs some parts and comes back with 3 bags . differential balls, a spur, and a new pinion . don't recall the amount of teeth on the pinion but the spur in an 88 tooth. i also got new C clips . he gave me some advice on how to set the differential as well as showed me some tips to get better traction. this guy was great nex i was expecting the price to be crazy for the parts some where in the 30$ range nope 13$ flat. fixed my car for dirt cheap and have had no problems since.
Attachments
20150205_205204.jpg
20150205_205218.jpg

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

Nice to have a guy like that around. Could use him to every now and then :lol:

What was his advice on getting more traktion?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

stoggie388 wrote: esc is good . it has a cheap tuner card but at least it gets reverse.
20150205_204714.jpg
I have the same charger and similar Leopard Toro ESC. If you look at the manual for that ESC, you'll find additional configuration options that aren't accessed by the program card. You just need to learn the sequence of beeps to understand which option group & option item is the active one. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

in salem oregon there is a place called r/c usa. it has an indoor track and is probably the largest hobby shop i have been to ( i have been to alot of them around oregon) any way this guy they call the guru some old time pro who has owned the joint for several years ,
Yeah Dude! The guru is Ron and R/C Plus has been in Salem at one location or another for DECADES. It is the only LHS in Salem that has endured. Got my FX-10 from R/C Plus back in the 80's, been going there ever since. Totally spent too much time there (according to my wife) one day over the holidays dialing the LW TRX-3 on the indoor carpet track. Got a gift certificate for the place burning a hole in my pocket. Too bad it is 6 hrs away from where I am. But that's Ron, man... he used to spot me parts on race days/nights, let me borrow stuff like battery jigs and his soldering station. Total ambassador of the hobby he is.

Glad you found the place!

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

No doubt man. Ill be going there to race when I get a new battery. He wont let me drive on the track with a soft lipo pack lol. He was great tho . As for the esc are u suggesting I can get more speen from this beast ?

Jeepnhal

Post by Jeepnhal »

How do you like that Zippy?I'm thinking about grabbing a few,

Oh and I had that same Venom battery back in 2001.I treated it good and it still ended up being the worst battery I ever had,and then it blew up,lit my lunchbox on fire,and probally would have burnt my house down cause I didn't know, but my dog was barking at it so I was able to put the fire out,ha..And I thought the crappy run time sucked....ha.
RC10T2
Blackfoot(4)
Lunchbox(3)originals
Stadium Blitzer(monster beetle body and paddles)
Falcon(in parts,needs help)
Striker
Stampede(basher)
Losi Micro Crawler(To chase dog)

Jeepnhal

Post by Jeepnhal »

Oh man,you got the radio I'm looking at too
RC10T2
Blackfoot(4)
Lunchbox(3)originals
Stadium Blitzer(monster beetle body and paddles)
Falcon(in parts,needs help)
Striker
Stampede(basher)
Losi Micro Crawler(To chase dog)