Slotcarrod's RC10 SC5M Build & Test

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Slotcarrod's RC10 SC5M Build & Test

Post by slotcarrod »

Yesterday was a good day for me. Walked in to work and the shipper/receiver told me a package came in for me. I first noticed the Team Associated packing tape neatly caressing the box and immediately got excited. So I tore in, and there was the sweetest box art of a Short Course truck I have ever seen. I knew there was the NEW SC5M coming my way, but was thinking AE would get all the first release out to customers and maybe I may get one at a later date. Not the case, AE sent me one of the first ones! :shock: Happy happy! :lol:

Perfect timing! I am going camping this weekend and will be building it on a picnic table in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. What a fitting place to build this truck. Having built the B5R, M and FL, they all went together like a dream and were actually relaxing to build. I feel the SC5M will be the same! Watch this page for the build and a back to back test with my old SC10.2 (that just won the Nitro Stampede VI last weekend BTW :wink: :lol: )

THE BUILD

AE shipping box neatly taped with cool vintage logo

Best box art I have seen lately, cool truck in background

Opening the box for the picnic table build. Yes it is that easy to build, no special tools!

Sweet Proline body and good quality decals

A couple of FT parts included in the kit and a free VRC demo code for a FT SC10 4x4

Bags of cool well built and fitting parts

First step Bag A

You have to look hard to find any molding flaws or burs to remove

I like the interlocking side nerf bars

Yes that stylish work mat is the door mat from my travel trailer! :lol:

The nerf screws were a little long, I replaced with shorter screws but a simple back out is ok as it is not a high stress point

Chassis and nose with steering done. Recommend the FT steering bellcranks, will add later.

Bag B (Yes that's the same tub we did ribs in later that day :oops: :lol: )

Front end getting done

Bag C

Included FT part and empty beer

OK nap time, don't think my dogs liked the hammocks at first. This is the life! 8)

Nap time over, time to build tranny. I asked my self "do I need instructions for this?" If you are a longtime AE guy, you don't! It's that easy!

Only problem so far, a poorly molded "new type" T nut, but it still worked anyway! 8)

Tranny done, smooth as ever

Rear end getting done

A must have and should be purchased right away is the FT titanium turnbuckles.

What the hell is this I just found under the table mat? I left my beer and cheezies out all day! :shock: Damn Beers, I mean bears!

Anyway, the "NEW" ball cups went on like a dream and did not require pinching with pliers to free up like past B5 models.

Chassis looking great

Bag something Coronas :oops: , Shocks, with the new type springs! Could this be the answer to the "K" brand springs? 8)

Always use Green Slime on your seals

No shock stand? The rear arms worked perfect! :lol:

Shocks done

Bag More Corona's

Done for now. An easy fun build with no problems. Silky smooth shocks and diff.

Look for electronics, wheels and Proline Tundra body installation when I get home! 8)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Re: Slotcarrod's RC10 SC5M Build & Test

Post by slotcarrod »

THE TEST

Finished installing electronics and used my old Tundra body from the SC10.2 (just had to drill two new holes in the rear) and rushed to the track right after work. I was rushing to beat a rain storm that would flood the track for a few days, and I really wanted to run the SC5M before the big race next weekend.

Electronics used are Reedy Sonic 2 7.5, Reedy Wolfpack shorty 3800, Futaba 4PKS and Viper VTX10 esc. I used some old tires I would never dare to use on my SC10.2. 3/4 tread Proline M3 Blockades on the rear and 1/2 tread on the front. My local track is so slippery, I have to run new tires on the rear and rtr SC10 tires on the front of my old SC10.2. If you did not, you would just do donuts. I had so much confidence in the new car given my experience with the B5M, that I used crappy tires and a lite weight shorty battery and not a heavy brick to gain traction.

I ran this truck with 100% box stock settings, you can see the positive front toe that left me wondering and double checking the measurements, as a Corona or two may have had a hand in a mistake, but NO, it was correct per manual. So I will keep it for the first run or so and maybe change to zero later.

My first lap around the track. In the back of my mind I was expecting no rear traction, donuts and too much over steer. Was I ever surprised when I had plenty of traction and perfect amount of steering. Then I remembered, my B5M is perfect too and this is what it's based off of! 8) I was very happy with smooth acceleration, and braking hard on hair pins and not spinning out. I was not happy with the jumping attitude as it was different from my SC10.2 and required a little more getting used to. It seemed to react more to throttle and brake in the air than the SC10.2. Once I got in a few laps, this was not a problem. Under power on sweeping turns? I'm not sure, as my local track really has none, so we shall see when I run at other tracks. I did not want to risk the big air double before the wall ride, as there was a head wind. I'm sure in calm, it will jump the gap just fine though every 2wd SC rolls it!

My first impression of the box stock SC5M? I love it, and I can't wait to race it! Lot's of forward traction, perfect steering and controlled breaking are all much better than the SC10.2. The jump attitude that took a little to get right for me, but I think a three gear tranny may help this. Time will tell as it's not a big deal after a few laps. Stay tuned for a timed back to back test with SC5M versus SC10.2.

A weight comparison of the SC10.2 and SC5M with similar electronics and same battery. The SC5M is a little bit heavy.

SC5M

SC10.2

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Sorry for the delay, back from camping. Added pics of the build. Watch for electronics and body soon!

This is where I was camping and playing! Alberta Rockies 8)

Sheep up above me where I was trail rigging! :shock:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Looks like a great place to do a build! Your dog's about the same size as mine. I said "dog", not "dong"! :shock: :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

I really like the new sc truck from AE thanks for the build pics mate. Now to save up some coin

CraigB
Approved Member

Post by CraigB »

That's awesome! Bonus points since it's a Tundra!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Thumbs, how do you know? You been peeking AGAIN? :twisted:

My crappy pics do not do the Rocky Mountains justice. Love being a one hour drive away from them!

Love my Tundra, it is sweet but hurts at the pump! Funny as I am putting a Proline Tundra on with a custom VintageAE paint job! 8)

Thanks guys, having fun with this, as we all should. 8)

More soon!

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

great post!
pitty they are a mere 10 hrs flight from where I live :-)

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I should have came out for a night with my RC Landcruiser. Looks like it was a relaxing trip.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Awesome build! I was thinking of getting one but wanted to wait for the 4x4 version
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

What's the go with the new springs mate? I'm not quite up on the modern race scene but am thinking of getting bb ae springs for my three Vintage runners. I have seen guys using the k springs on rc8e but not 1/10 so what people don't like the ae bb springs that are out in the packs? Thanks in advance mate

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I find the AE BB springs sensitive to temperature, you constantly seem to be chasing ride height. The BB shocks also require more maintenance then the smaller AE shocks in my opinion (less races between a refill or rebuild)

I'm really liking the V2 shocks with the BB springs.

I too am keen to hear what Rod has to say :D
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Most will be used for vintage with v2 or v1 shocks in my case,I have aB44..2 I got off a mate but haven't gotten around to sorting it for racing yet. Be interested to hear what rod and others have to say about them also..

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

There is nothing wrong with the AE BB springs, I run them in all my modern cars. The K brand springs are a little more progressive and consistent. Again the big bore shocks with larger oil volume offer the same results. I hate spending more on oil for rebuilds but worth it on the lap times.

As for the SC5M testing, I had a chance to run to the track after work. I was trying to beat a storm front that would flood the track for the weekend. I managed to just get there and put in one pack before the rain. I will post up some pics and my feelings soon.

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Diggin' it Rod. I like your style, man.

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.