Budget ESC

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: Budget ESC

Post by yellowdatsun »

slotcarrod wrote:That Castle is a great entry level combo, but for the fact that it is non sensored. A non sensored system will not give you a smooth response at low rpm. This is very important in gaining traction, especially in a 2wd car.
See, I hear others say this, BUT, it has never, ever, been an issue with my Castle systems. Ever. And I'm not just saying that because I have a Castle system, I truly have never had any type of driving issue or complaint. I mean really, If I did have any type of issues, I wouldn't have bought 2 more of their systems, and I'm going out to buy a 4th today.

If you read Castles website, they go on to say about how their esc's have special "SmartSense" inside that eliminates the need for the sensor cable. The only thing that cable does is tell the esc in what position the motor is in it's rotation.

On a side note, my buddy lost his sensor wire while racing, and was screwed the entire rest of the day, while I kept driving with my Castle setups. Another reason a newb to this area should run sensorless.

I've heard you can run a sensored motor in a sensorless esc, but have not tried it. I've heard it will run, but a bit jerky. Never actually seen it though. I don't know if you can run a senored motor and sensored esc, without the sensor cable. I suggested my buddy try it, but he declined. Which was fine, I kept on racing while he sat there.

When I came back to the sport after a 20 year hiatus, I did a crap ton of researching to find out what I should buy to get started again. Heck, last time I ran was with NiCd batteries and an old Airtronics XL2P radio (which I still think was the awesomest looking radio ever). What I came away with after all the research, was to get a Castle setup. Honestly, I'd suggest you did the same. There's no way you wouldn't be happy with it.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I haven't had any issues with my unsensored ESCs either, except one...ironically, it was when I used an old Castle SideWinder V2 ESC with an unsensored motor. But all the other HobbyWing (or rebranded) unsensored ESCs with unsensored motors perform smoothly. EZ-Run, HobbyWing, Leopard Toro, Bullistorm, Tacon. Only the Castle gave me cogging issues when coupled with a SpeedPassion 17.5T unsensored motor.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you should be able to run a sensored motor on any sensorless esc. the motor would be pretty much identical except for the rotation sensors built in.

I'm sure there are exception dues to physical construction, but it should be possible in most cases.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

hey heres an off topic question over brushless motor timing... im running a tekin redline 2 10.5 with an ezrun 60 amp sensorless... i have the motor on the opposite side of a 3 gear, it seems to be working fine with the wires in the correct a-b-c orientation, my 4pksr throttle channel in reverse and the ezrun calibrated to this.... im gonna guess the timing is off the a-b-c orientation vs off the sensor....right?.. so if thats true, should i set the endbell to zero?

Njpartsguy

Post by Njpartsguy »

Thanks for all the advice but this car is just going to be a something to have some fun with. I'm sticking to brushed motors because I have a few of them.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

My son had one of the Tazers (the 15t limit one) paired with a 19t Speedgems in his B3. At the time he was 8 and just started learning how to drive. It's not too bad, no problems, worked fine for him. I still have it actually, but since then we have gone brushless and lipo and haven't looked back. Being someone who was quite reluctant to switch over, I regret not doing it sooner. Just my 2 cents.
-Kevin

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

That is a priceless 2 cents! :wink: Sadly, sometimes people do not take good advice!