Servo Survey

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sandbar782
Approved Member

Servo Survey

Post by sandbar782 »

What servo you guys running these days? My old back yard cars ran futaba s148 and jr nes507. Looking for an upgrade to digital and w some more speed without dropping $100 for a back yard car.

Would like to hear from racers and back yard guys alike.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: Servo Survey

Post by yellowdatsun »

The Savox T1257TG are around $60, nearly indestructible, and they warranty their product.

The Hitec 645mg is about half that price, and a good servo but just not as fast as the Savox. For a backyard basher I'd go with the Hitec.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i bought two of these, powered them up and they seem really strong and quick. for my boys to do some general yard and parking lot cruising in rc10's. for 20 bucks each, if they last i am ahead of the game.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-ts-d99x-digital-1-10-scale-touring-drift-buggy-steering-servo-10kg-0-08sec-45g.html

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Futaba S148's and S3003's for my shelfers. ;)

The $20 Traxxas 2075 I just bought is the most I've ever spent on a servo. I guess I don't know what I'm missing. But then again, I'm way more of a builder rather than a driver!

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

Post by Typicray@rainmans »

Anything Savox makes is awesome! I own five of them and never have had a problem with a single one.
Almost all my posts will be edited because I know what I want to write, but my fingers always hit the wrong keys.

Trailsnail
Approved Member

Post by Trailsnail »

Solar servos have served me well on a few of my cars, for around $20-25. Metal gears and ball bearings. I use the Solar D772 in some my crawlers, bashers. The D771 is faster if you need something with less torque and more speed.

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

I've been running ProTek's on most of my racers lately. Been running the 160T in my B5 and into my first B6. Picked up a 170SBL for my Black and Green B6 but I haven't run it yet.

I really enjoy the Savox 1258TG Black Edition in my worlds rere's, have like 4 of them.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

I've been running the Trackstars 99X as well(love them), some really old Airtronics (94258) and the old tried and true Hitec 645's.

You can get the Hitec servos for about 25-30 all day long, not super fast, decent strong and metal gears. Great for just general running around. Another servo that is reasonable and similar is the Z590 (JR or Spektrum), I put them in the same group as the Hitec, specs are pretty similar between the two.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

So there you have it, there's no real consensus on what servo to get!

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

I bought an Associated XP 1903 MG servo from ebay for like $12 including shipping. It's water-proof with metal gears, and has .15 transit speed. It's nothing fancy, but it will get the job done nicely. I just found one on ebay for $7.99 + $3.99 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AE-Team-Associated-1-10-SC10B-RS-2WD-XP-DIGITAL-DS1903MG-STEERING-SERVO-WP-/400948940651?hash=item5d5a6b4f6b:g:owgAAOSw0UdXqeNZ

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Re: Servo Survey jr z590m

Post by rccars4sal »

I look for jr z590m servos. They were cheap, fast, tourquey, and metal gears. this is in comparison to standard servos. I used to race them and never fealt I needed better, except in a zx5, that car could exploit a faster servo. Even in a touring car, the z590m was great, as long as there was room, standard size.

sandbar782
Approved Member

Post by sandbar782 »

I've settled on a HITEC HS 452BB. Performance far exceeds my Futaba S148 and JR NES507. Price is reasonable to me and I always wanted to try a HITEC.

Next big question... My daughter will be building and learning to drive a ReRe RC10 worlds as her 1st RC. I've been letting her learn on my old RC10 B3, which has the built in servo saver. The older RC10's do not have these servo savers built into the steering system, so I'm thinking I may need to add one directly to the servo.

Any of you using servo savers? If so what one? I see the aluminum models from Hot Racing and Integy RC Hobby C23942 or was just thinking about going with the Team Associated 25166 for Hitec. Any thoughts?

Spline info copied from http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/348207-servo-spline-count-what-use-where.html repeated here as info:
23 splines: KO, Airtronics/Sanwa, JR, ACOMS, Solar, EXI
24 splines: HiTec, RCD, Apollo
25 splines: Futaba, Savox

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the associated one would be plenty. kimbrough also makes reasonably priced solid units.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

sandbar782 wrote:I've settled on a HITEC HS 452BB. Performance far exceeds my Futaba S148 and JR NES507. Price is reasonable to me and I always wanted to try a HITEC.

Next big question... My daughter will be building and learning to drive a ReRe RC10 worlds as her 1st RC. I've been letting her learn on my old RC10 B3, which has the built in servo saver. The older RC10's do not have these servo savers built into the steering system, so I'm thinking I may need to add one directly to the servo.

Any of you using servo savers? If so what one? I see the aluminum models from Hot Racing and Integy RC Hobby C23942 or was just thinking about going with the Team Associated 25166 for Hitec. Any thoughts?

Spline info copied from http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/348207-servo-spline-count-what-use-where.html repeated here as info:
23 splines: KO, Airtronics/Sanwa, JR, ACOMS, Solar, EXI
24 splines: HiTec, RCD, Apollo
25 splines: Futaba, Savox
Hitecs are great for non-serious racers, you'll like them. I've been using them and Savox's for years now. They are the only two I use. I use the 645mg ones though.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

yellowdatsun wrote:
sandbar782 wrote:I've settled on a HITEC HS 452BB. Performance far exceeds my Futaba S148 and JR NES507. Price is reasonable to me and I always wanted to try a HITEC.

Any of you using servo savers?
Actually, if you use the stock steering stuff, I believe that white oval piece is the servo saver.