Any Good Radios Out There??

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

trevorda8

Any Good Radios Out There??

Post by trevorda8 »

Looking to buy a nice (but price wise) Transmittter and reciever for my 2.5 T-maxx. Steering servo was bugging out. I switched the throttle and steering wires from the reciever and steering on the throttle channel worked great. Of corse the throttle bugged out. So I have diagnosed my problem to a radio malfunction. Soo I'm on a search for a good 3 channnel transmitter/reciever than wont break me. TY

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Re: Any Good Radios Out There??

Post by NomadRacer »

Futaba 3PV, goes for 110 - 120 bucks, depending on where you buy from.
Bum on Direct Deposit

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I like the traxxas 2.4 link radios. Doesn't really have the easy access to fine tuning like you would want for a racing transmitter, but for bashing around a big nitro truck they git-er-done. I have one that came with my 4x4 vxl slash and I was happy with it enough that I just picked up a few more compatible receivers to put into my other basher trucks so I can just use 1 transmitter for all of them. You can pick up these radios pretty cheap on ebay.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

+1 for the new budget futaba radios. Had a 2PL 2.4ghz for years an was very good,updated to the 4PLS and after some getting used to the way the menus an adjustments work I really like it.. The most recent budget type futabas look great...

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Basher67 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 am I like the traxxas 2.4 link radios. Doesn't really have the easy access to fine tuning like you would want for a racing transmitter
Actually, once you add the bluetooth module to have access to tuning via your phone or other mobile device the tuning is supposed to be quite easy.
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

I bought a simple FlySky GT-3C radio for like $50. It was my first "modern" wireless radio and I didn't want to go too crazy. Coming from using my Airtronics 3PS and M8, the radio seemed to have a lot of configuration options. I use it with my RC10, B6D and SC10.2. Raced both the B6D and SC10.2 on a weekend with it. Seemed to work really well for me using Castle and Hobbywing ESCs with AE and Savox servos.

The only comment I would have... it doesn't feel super-sturdy compared to my older radios. I don't know if that's a new vs. old thing or a "cheap" vs. quality thing. Or even just do to the weight of the radio. It's not seen super heavy use, but I've been using it for ~6mo w/o any issues.
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

lmw94002 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:05 pm I bought a simple FlySky GT-3C radio for like $50. It was my first "modern" wireless radio and I didn't want to go too crazy. Coming from using my Airtronics 3PS and M8, the radio seemed to have a lot of configuration options. I use it with my RC10, B6D and SC10.2. Raced both the B6D and SC10.2 on a weekend with it. Seemed to work really well for me using Castle and Hobbywing ESCs with AE and Savox servos.

The only comment I would have... it doesn't feel super-sturdy compared to my older radios. I don't know if that's a new vs. old thing or a "cheap" vs. quality thing. Or even just do to the weight of the radio. It's not seen super heavy use, but I've been using it for ~6mo w/o any issues.
New radios mostly all feel very sturdy. Its the lower end ones like flysky that don't

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

More than anything in RC, with radios you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, get cheap. Don't waste your money on anything under $100, unless it's a used radio. I have an Airtronics MT4 and a Futaba 3prka, and the MT4 is a way better radio. Both in feel and control. Yes, the nicer radios do control the car better.

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

yellowdatsun wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 am More than anything in RC, with radios you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, get cheap. Don't waste your money on anything under $100, unless it's a used radio. I have an Airtronics MT4 and a Futaba 3prka, and the MT4 is a way better radio. Both in feel and control. Yes, the nicer radios do control the car better.
I agree that more expensive radios generally have a more solid feel, but I think your description may overstate the differences. I've driven with $500 futaba radios, and $50 spektrum radios, and I wasnt any faster with a more expensive radio. When I got back into RC on a budget a few years back, I even used a radio with all analog adjustments and won my fair share of races. A fancy futaba or airtronics is more satisfying to hold, but I didn't notice any difference in how well it controlled the car. Even if there was a few millisecond difference in response rate, its nothing I could tell.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I find that the ease of range of adjustments on the higher end radios makes it worth the money at times. Yes, my traxxas link radio works just as well as my Spektrum DX3S, but the initial setup is kind of a PITA on the traxxas. I personally believe that the best radio depends on the user. Someone new to the hobby or just not a serious racer is going to be frustrated with all the adjustments and fine tuning that some of the higher end radios have. I agree that you get what you pay for, but there are plenty of good quality, base model radios, that work just as good as the expensive high optioned versions. Digital displays and telemetry feedback does not make the servos respond faster. A buddy of mine that is new to the hobby, bought a $60 radio at our lhs and loves it with his T3.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Part of that "lack of sturdiness" may be that the old radios took 8 AA batteries and most modern radios only use 4, Making them considerably lighter.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yep, i will second the fact that the radios are essentially half the weight or more, lending to a 'cheaper' feeling.

4 AA's, plus the electronics are just simple little boards, no long telescoping antenna. It would be cool to have a nice radio with aluminum or steel grip inserts to give it a more solid/heavier feel. Suppose it's a lot nicer to hold the lighter radio for longer periods of time though.

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

I raced again this Sunday... Yeah, the GT3C worked well for me. Of course other than model memory w/ Trim and endpoint adjustments I haven't used all the other settings. Weight is definitely part of it for me anyways... no need for a next strap with the modern radios. :)
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

EMC
Approved Member

Post by EMC »

As was suggested here, I have been well pleased with the futaba 3PV. Seems to retain the traditional futaba durability in a lighter package. Good value.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Sooooo, what did you get?