What is a good transmitter?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

What is a good transmitter?

Post by Ucsdmutt »

I’ve always liked Futaba, but what is good quality nowadays in the $100-$200 range?

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: What is a good transmitter?

Post by XLR8 »

Same here, I have a bunch of them. Been using Futaba exclusively since me and my dad got into RC in the seventies and never saw a reason to change. However, the 4pls I use now has a figgity jog button - works going up the menu but not always going down. Kinda dissapointed but it has worked well otherwise. I have a few of Associated's XP radio systems from RTR's and these seem to work okay too.
Doug

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I own a Spektrum DX4C and I’d say stay away. Glitchy and just not a quality feel. Receivers are expensive. My next will be a Sanwa or Futaba
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Oh, good point! Cheapest receiver I've found for 4pls is about 30 bucks - and it's 6 channel - go figure. Anyway, the lesson here is to price your receivers before you buy a radio system.
Doug

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Are you looking new, or used?

Used you can pick up a Sanwa/Airtronics MT4, which is an excellent radio. Also a very popular radio, and will have every feature you'll likely need. Plus, these use the "old" stile receivers which are affordable.

Don't buy *anything* new in the $100 range, you'll regret it, I did, I'm not sure what's available new in the $200 range, most decent radios seem to start at the $230 level.

You get what you pay for with radios, more than anything in RC.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

I am using an Airtronics M11. While the one I just bought my son is under your price range It may be worth looking at. Flysky FS-GT3C. It's 2.4ghz, has 10 model memory, large screen, lipo, and charges with the basic Samsung usb. Extra receivers run less than 10 bucks each. So for your price range you would get the transmitter, one receiver, with lipo, and still buy enough receivers to fill up its model memory ability, and take your wife out to eat at a nice restaurant so she will forgive you for spending more money on the rc hobby.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Ah Flysky. I've heard so many wonderful things about these that I keep thinking that there must be a downside. In addition to the features you've listed, their also cheap and can be hacked to perform almost any function short of buttering your toast in the morning. I'm curious to know if anyone has actually had a problem with Flysky.
Doug

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I'm eyeing up the 2.4ghz futaba 3 channel. The receivers are priced ok and you can use a 4 channel with telemtry as well as steering mixing clods,etc.

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

The Flysky 3 channel is the way I am headed. Good features, great price and receivers are very small. Great option for my RC12LW I am restoring as space is rather limited. Now finding a source for C cell nimh is another issue......

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:18 pm I own a Spektrum DX4C and I’d say stay away. Glitchy and just not a quality feel. Receivers are expensive. My next will be a Sanwa or Futaba
Go figure, I have had the DX4C for years now and no glitching, and I am running Ebay $10 china clone receiver with it. I agree the overall feel is not of highest quality but at time I bought it was not a bad value but I will likely upgrade to another Spektrum so my reveivers work.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

You have an older version then, because mine isn’t even compatible with their earlier surface receivers :evil: found that out after I bought a couple. A software update “fixed” that, so the Chinese receivers wouldn’t work, and also took out their own. :roll: I have had a lot of people tell me that Spektrum has problems at the track, but I haven’t raced with it so I can’t comment. I just know that all my other modern radios are crystal clear and the DX4C glitches like crazy
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I believe those are the ones I purchase. I grabbed three and after not being able to bind them I started looking around in forums and found out they were blocked in the new software. That made me unhappy to say the least
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

So the only ones that will work are the original 4-channel receivers, unless it's an older transmitter or one that hasn't had the firmware updated, I'm assuming.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Wow, you have had a lot of serious problems with Spektrum. I wouldn't blame you if you never purchased another radio from them. For some reason, I've noticed those radios are sorta popular among the crawler crowd. If the glitch problem is related to distance, that might explain why crawlers use them since they are literally standing feet from their vehicles while they are running. I used to race with a guy back in Illinois who was an 1/8th scale Delta driver in the 1970's and his radio of choice was Airtronics - I never saw him with any other brand. I know he still races today but I don't if he still uses Airtronics - or even if that company still exist. Just curious, does anyone know if Spektrum actively sponsors drivers in any of the national or international sanctioned racing series?
Doug