Anyone run 1/8th scale buggies

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Niki
Approved Member

Re: Anyone run 1/8th scale buggies

Post by Niki »

My 10-scale cars collect dust on shelf during summer time because of eBuggy class. I almost hate to say it - but yes - it's my favourite class.
Proper offroad, not too polished tracks... more than enough power, speed and flying time. 10min race finals are great.
I'm running LRP Ix8 V2 and Dynamic10 2400kv.

Nikis_B31e.jpg

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

I gave up 8th BL three years ago when I changed clubs... and then the new track closed down. But I haven't gone back as this was a very work-intensive category when you wanted to be competitive, and time was lacking.

But I had two MBX6-Eco, the first one on 4S, the second one on 6S.

6S allows you to run lower kv motors and wears the battery a lot less (4S packs cannot run competitively more than a few dozen runs, they get drained out quickly), as it's much easier to produce watts via Voltage than by Current... The drawback is weight. I experimented soooo much with Shocks and shock pistons to get the damping right with the 6S car as I was out of the tuning window, you have no idea how many piston blanks I went through :lol:

Net - absolutely fantastic category, the cars are tough as nails as plastics are historically softer than 10th scale cars, they are fast as heck. Drawbacks are, 4S packs die fast, wear on the drivetrain and tires is ridiculous (compared to Nitro 8th), and above all: the cars are too heavy and too fast too easily for unsuspecting Bro-like-drivers who can wreck havoc at the track when not driving responsibly.

There was a "natural filter" with 8th Nitro : they are a pain to make work properly. Engine tuning and clutch issues are two very good natural barriers against dumbasses - dumbasses can't run nitro fast, because their cars don't work well, they stall all the time, they throw con rods, you get the idea.

BL/Lipo, be the 8th or 10th, have democratized ridiculous amounts of power without barriers. Good for the enthusiast, but there are plenty of enthusiasts who shouldn't be allowed next to an 8th scale BL offroader that are so heavy and so fast...

<rant over and pic of my first mugen in 4S setup>
DSC_0542.jpg
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

mikea96 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:51 pm Looks good! What motor and esc are you running?
I've had good luck with all Reedy products the last couple years in 1/10th scale so I attempted to do the same with the e-buggy, not knowing much about the class. Reedy servos were unobtainable at the time so I researched and chose the MKS servo, which I've been happy with. Same goes for the ESC, Reedy had no offering at the time and the Hobbywing was well received so I went with it, very happy with that choice as well. However, I will be curious to get your take on the Reedy 850R, it looks awesome.
IMG_7285.jpg
ESC has been solid, very happy with the purchase.
IMG_7286.jpg
Good motor, plenty of power, smooth delivery.
IMG_7288.jpg
Took a chance on the servo based on opinions online. Tons of speed and power, so far so good.
IMG_7287.jpg
In the States, specifically ROAR, only 4S is allowed, so that is the route I went. I've not experienced the reliability issues mentioned here, but LiPo batteries have come a long way and are ever evolving. Although 6S does sound intriguing, especially from a heat and wear standpoint, shame we can't run them here, on the track at least.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Yeah the Reedy 850 is very nice looking esc with the machined aluminum case. Now i just nees to quit being lazy and build the car. Its been sitting on my bench for over a month.

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

I was running the hobbywing xr8 sc in mine last year with a cheapo hobby king 2400kv motor (4s over here) VERY fast with the only problem being the fan on the esc the local tracks here have a lot of huge jumps that are flat landing and I think that was killing them and then the esc would shut down due to overheating so no damage at least. As far as wear and tear the escs are so adjustable these days you can turn things down punch wise so it feels like a GP car, they also have a thing called coast in the profiles that keeps the momentum through the corners could be worth playing around with.

Have to agree with Lonestar also as nitro did at least weed out the morons any fool can plug in a battery and create carnage :)

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

pedro wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:57 am ...any fool can plug in a battery and create carnage :)
Some of us rely on this fact!
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The XR8+ is amazing, a 1/8 ESC with dynamic timing !!
pedro wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:57 am ...any fool can plug in a battery and create carnage :)
Especially if they plug it in wrong :shock:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Bought this inferno MP9e and absolutely love it!
Attachments
20180802_160857.jpg
20180802_160400.jpg

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Added a couple upgrades to my Mp9e. New Fioroni ultra light weight shock towers, new wheels and tires and Tki4 wing. Have a new body im painting as well. I also swapped out the 12 tooth pinion this came with for a 15 tooth and that really awakened this thing. Next will be servo upgrade then motor and esc and last radio upgrade.
Attachments
20180915_113132.jpg
20180915_113122.jpg
20180915_113127.jpg