I need help to get a little more speed on my RC10T4.3

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

superticky

I need help to get a little more speed on my RC10T4.3

Post by superticky »

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an RC10T4.3 stadium truck and I am extremely happy with it, it runs super smooth and stable.

I was expecting a little bit more speed (just a bit more) but since it’s a RTR combo it came optimized with gearing for a 2S Lipo. I love the long run times but really would like a little more speed. All specifications and manuals say the ESC and motor can handle a 3S with the right gearing.

The overall question is: What’s the easiest and safest way to get a little more speed? I know this is not a Rustler and I’m not expecting crazy crash-and-destroy speeds but it currently runs around max 25mph and I was expecting/hoping something around the 35mph. Not needing or wanting more than 40 to be honest.

I love the current run time with the 2S doing little bashing off-road on open areas, the motor never overheats and car super stable, however sometimes I would like to do some speed runs.
I am very new running a car with LIPO batteries so I apologize about how newbie my questions are:

Do I need to get a 3S and change gearing accordingly to reach the desired top speed? If that’s the case, what recommendations for Pinion/Spur and 3S spec to archive a jump from around 25mph to 35mph? Does it even work that way which you could target a desired top speed to optimize run time?

Some important specs are (based on manuals)
- 1:10 stadium truck with Reedy 3300kV brushless
- ESC: XP SC600-BL 3S LiPo compatible
- Manual says the motor is currently on 19/84

In the case I change the gearing to optimize 3S, what happens then once I put a 2S again? Not sure if it’s too much to ask to have the truck compatible or able to use both 2S and 3S depending on the situation.

Thank you very much in advance for any information provided!

Cheers!!!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: I need help to get a little more speed on my RC10T4.3

Post by Incredible_Serious »

superticky,

Welcome aboard. Very new truck for a mostly vintage-oriented forum, but help should be pretty easy to come by.

Read your post, and looking at the gearing chart in the back of the RTR T4.3 manual, it does indeed say 19/84 is 'proper' for a 3300kv brushless. However, if your truck is still box stock, the kit setup is only 18/87. Thus, there is probably a bit of wriggle room available to get mode speed, if necessary, without affecting runtime too much. Think slightly larger pinion, or smaller spur.

Sure there will be guys with experience with the truck in question (or similar) that can chime in here.... but I'd say there's no need to jump to 3S just yet! You can save that for when you want to start breaking bits.... 8)

Alex

superticky wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:26 am Hello everyone,

I recently bought an RC10T4.3 stadium truck and I am extremely happy with it, it runs super smooth and stable.

I was expecting a little bit more speed (just a bit more) but since it’s a RTR combo it came optimized with gearing for a 2S Lipo. I love the long run times but really would like a little more speed. All specifications and manuals say the ESC and motor can handle a 3S with the right gearing.

The overall question is: What’s the easiest and safest way to get a little more speed? I know this is not a Rustler and I’m not expecting crazy crash-and-destroy speeds but it currently runs around max 25mph and I was expecting/hoping something around the 35mph. Not needing or wanting more than 40 to be honest.

I love the current run time with the 2S doing little bashing off-road on open areas, the motor never overheats and car super stable, however sometimes I would like to do some speed runs.
I am very new running a car with LIPO batteries so I apologize about how newbie my questions are:

Do I need to get a 3S and change gearing accordingly to reach the desired top speed? If that’s the case, what recommendations for Pinion/Spur and 3S spec to archive a jump from around 25mph to 35mph? Does it even work that way which you could target a desired top speed to optimize run time?

Some important specs are (based on manuals)
- 1:10 stadium truck with Reedy 3300kV brushless
- ESC: XP SC600-BL 3S LiPo compatible
- Manual says the motor is currently on 19/84

In the case I change the gearing to optimize 3S, what happens then once I put a 2S again? Not sure if it’s too much to ask to have the truck compatible or able to use both 2S and 3S depending on the situation.

Thank you very much in advance for any information provided!

Cheers!!!
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

So you are currently running 7.4v (2s) lipo?

If so I'm afraid there isn't much you can do for a speed boost without going to 11.1v (3s) or upgrading the motor. You can try gearing up a couple of teeth at a time, just keep en eye on motor temperature as you go up. I doubt you'll get 25 to 40 though. If you can't hold the motor for roughly 5 seconds it's too hot, magnets start to degrade around 175f.

Also check your endpoints just to make sure you are actually getting 100% throttle.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Hi there, welcome aboard :)

As you probably understood, this is a "vintage" rc10 forum - although speed isn't the point of focus for most members here (some do run faster than 100mph though...), we will try to help :wink:

1st Q: is the timing adjustable on your motor and/or controller?

If yes - crank it up and see what happens.

If no - then you might be able to get a few %ages of extra speed by toying around with the gearing, but not to the stepchange you are after. for this, you need a stronger mill (probably the best choice if your controller can withstand it) or more voltage (ie 3S lipo), in which case I have zero clue how to gear the car.

Having said that - if this is raw speed on the pavement you are after, get an onroad car. This will be designed for such speeds. The stadium truck you have is designed to run a "mild" speeds, because this is a detuned version of a bespoke offroad competition RC car. Offroad means ruts and jumps - not raw speed. Traxxas's marketing try to make you it is, but they are fooling everyone... after a while with us, you'll know better ;)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

superticky

Post by superticky »

Thank you guys !

First of all I apologize I didn't realize this forum was more Vintage oriented so I appreciate even more all your help !

What I've noticed so far is I can run all day with the stock gearing "full speed" and motor barely gets hot, long run times (which I like) but getting around 20 mph if i'm not mistaken. The gentlemen at the store said I should get 35-50 mph with stock gearing, maybe he meant using a 3S ?

I shouldn't have said "speed runs" lol ... I mean to go still off-road on a long straight distance of dirt to compete with my daughter even jumping a little bit :) but not pavement or street, that was misleading from my part. Always off-road on very short grass or just plain dirt (not wet).

Thank you all again for your answers and info, looks like my options are:

1-) Stick to 2S but play around a little bit with gearing checking temperature. Right now it barely gets hot. Incredible_serious said I should have 18/87 as the stock gearing. Any recommendation on which options to try one at the time ?

2-) Some folks said to try 3s and stock gearing but check very closely temperature. Would this be even an option and wise ?

3-) Some other folks said to gear down using 3S for sure, is that case which gearing combination of pinion and spur should I try first ?

So many options :-D ....

Thank you LoneStar , I don't think my timing is adjustable on motor and I'm not planning on running on pavement, only some more speed on dirt.

RC10th said " check your endpoints just to make sure you are actually getting 100% throttle. " where should I check ? I just have the controller settings which are for max throttle already.

Thank you everyone !

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

It sounds like you're running a 2S LiPo and 3300 kV motor. Going to 3S would be too drastic, and is totally unnecessary. Just upgrade your motor with something in the 3600 - 3900 kV range. I wouldn't change the gearing, because you'll get your higher top speed at the expense of low-end acceleration. If a new motor accelerates too fast (i.e. does wheelies or even backflips), then you'll simply need to adjust the "Punch" setting in your ESC.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

superticky

Post by superticky »

Hey guys tonight I did a speed test with a speedometer on a nice long straight flat pavement ... and only got a max of 20 mph with the 2S lipo battery.  Would this be too slow for a RC10T4.3 even with stock gearing ?  the motor barely gets warm after running for a long time full throttle.  I double checked the receiver settings.  The guy at the store told me I should reach 30 with a 2S and stock gearing.  Here  is a pic of the current gearing just in case.

Thank you for all the help !

cobrakai
Approved Member

Post by cobrakai »

The castle creations mamba X 3800kV motor I have in my GT is pretty nuts. I run it with both 2S and 3S. On 2S it's pretty mellow, geared 21/66 (paired to 2.6 transmission). Still gobs of acceleration and tops out around 40 something. Then when I want to have some fun, I throw the 3S in there. The motor does get a little hot but nothing crazy, and it has enough power to balloon the tires at any speed, no acceleration needed. It'll do over 60mph and be completely out of control.

I say just put a 3S in there and run it with the stock gearing if it's designed for it. Learn good throttle control and then have the power if you want to have some fun!

I will say... 20mph seems way too slow. I wonder if you calibrated your ESC properly?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Same here - 20mph is dog slow, like 80's-nikko-slow. 3300kv-slow on a "modern" rtr with lipos should be at least a third faster than that...

In this order:

Check speed controller calibration (is it hitting full throttle?)

Check battery condition ( too low amps? too low voltage?). what do you charge it with? How low do you discharge it? does your charger have an IR reading function?

Check if something's binding (but then the motor would overheat...)

Gear up significantly
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

superticky

Post by superticky »

Guys thank you SO MUCH ! for all your help ...

I'm taking the car to the store with me along with all these recommendations printed to try them with the owner.

I will let you know how it goes !

superticky

Post by superticky »

BTW here is a pic of my current gearing in case you see anything wrong ? Thanks !

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

It just clicked, 18/87 is what I run on a boosted mod truck :lol:

The 3300 according to the manual is a 4 pole motor which produce more torque, I'd say gear up....
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

superticky

Post by superticky »

RC10th wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 am It just clicked, 18/87 is what I run on a boosted mod truck :lol:

The 3300 according to the manual is a 4 pole motor which produce more torque, I'd say gear up....
I saw these combinations online from different people, but not sure which one to get and archive 30 mph instead of 20 mph. I don't really need more than that. What would be your suggestion ?

Mine current is: 18/87

I saw: 19/84 ( very common one and also in the manual's gear chart ) and then I saw 19/83 , 20/87 , 24/81

Thank you !

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I agree with the others that 20 seems too slow and unlikely to be a gearing issue. As Lonestar suggested, I'd run through the ESC calibration again and make sure you're getting full throttle correct. A problem battery could also be the culprit, but you'll need to test with another known-good battery to confirm/deny this.

Why don't I think it's a gearing issue? If battery and ESC and everything else was working fine, if your car was geared low, it would accelerate like a scalded ape, but top out at a low speed. If it was geared too high, it would accelerate slowly but reach a higher top speed. Neither of these seem to describe your problem.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

superticky

Post by superticky »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:58 pm I agree with the others that 20 seems too slow and unlikely to be a gearing issue. As Lonestar suggested, I'd run through the ESC calibration again and make sure you're getting full throttle correct. A problem battery could also be the culprit, but you'll need to test with another known-good battery to confirm/deny this.

Why don't I think it's a gearing issue? If battery and ESC and everything else was working fine, if your car was geared low, it would accelerate like a scalded ape, but top out at a low speed. If it was geared too high, it would accelerate slowly but reach a higher top speed. Neither of these seem to describe your problem.
That's correct and that's a very good point !!! thank you for the information ! I did tried another 2S battery already and same speed issue. This leaves only the ESC to check calibration. I think I will start there once I get to the store since they asked me to bring it in for checking.

I will suggest to them to start with ESC calibration.

Thank you again to all !!! I will share the results once it's resolve in case somebody else runs into this hassle.