Hello from Houston, TX

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kaare-65

Hello from Houston, TX

Post by Kaare-65 »

I registered about a week ago and finally getting the time to say "Hi".

First got into hobby grade RC cars with a Kyosho Raider. Moved around to getting an RC10 that someone left behind in one of my step dads rental properties. In 1995 I bought Kyosho XRT Pro, but never got around to finishing it.....By that time I was losing interest in RC stuff.

Lately I have been getting the itch to get back into RC cars. I need to find out if my dad has my old kyosho and RC10 packed away, I replaced the suspension and bought a new stealth transmission for it, ....and that is how it has sat since the mid 90's.

I'm not sure he kept them around, so I bought an RC10 A stamping that had been converted with an Andy's truck conversion, an RC10 A Stamping (probably paid to much for it, but I was working and got carried away with bidding). Also have an RC10 B Stamping chassis with a lot of parts, and bought a nice stealth for it, as well as any little odds and ends that I can get.

I also bought a Hot Bodies D413 a couple weeks ago, I have to have at least one newer one.

And the last one that I bought was a Kyosho Optima as a restoration project or future parts donor. Optima's are the ones I always was drooling over at the hobby shop.

After writing that I just realized I might have gotten a bit carried away with my RC Purchases.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Re: Hello from Houston, TX

Post by NomadRacer »

Wow, looks like we are being invaded by dudes from Texas!

Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing some pictures from you soon. :wink:
Bum on Direct Deposit

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Welcome! What part of H-Town? We lived near Meyerland (a couple miles west of the SW corner of 610) for about 6 years. Back in my native So Cal now, but still have several good friends out there.

And congrats on your budding rc10 collection. We love pictures, by the way! :mrgreen:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Howdy!

Welcome aboard - I missed you by a couple of years, I was racing at Performance Raceway and (sometimes) at K&M during the 98-00 period... Houston was a fantastic place to do RC at :)

Looking forward to pics of your cars!
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Kaare-65

Post by Kaare-65 »

mk-Zero, you would have no idea who I am but I do know who you are because of your VW. I asked a bunch of questions when you had and I think just swapped out the 40 hp engine. I am (or was) on the Aircoolers site, this was just after the DLK split off to do their own thing. I have a ruby red 65 Sunroof Beetle that I bought from Danny (Gixxer711) that Doug (Boom) helped me bring home. I started tearing it down and then decided I wanted to go back to school for Nuclear Medicine......Finally done with that, been working for a couple years in that field, and finally feeling like I can finally get around to finishing it. When we were in south west Florida I had a 65 split window Westfalia that was gutted out and I used to haul my wind surfing equipment.......huge mistake selling that, wish it was a decision I could take back.

I'm in South West Houston, actually right where the Fort Bend tollway ends in Sienna Plantation. The Wife and I are hoping to move to Rice Village or River Oaks area since they are closer to the Med Center.

Lonestar.....was K&M the place on Chimney Rock road that closed down?

And I'll try to get some pictures posted, between work and my general dislike of taking pictures.....I'll give it my best shot :D

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Kaare-65 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:15 pm mk-Zero, you would have no idea who I am but I do know who you are because of your VW. I asked a bunch of questions when you had and I think just swapped out the 40 hp engine. I am (or was) on the Aircoolers site, this was just after the DLK split off to do their own thing. I have a ruby red 65 Sunroof Beetle that I bought from Danny (Gixxer711) that Billy (Boom) helped me bring home. I started tearing it down and then decided I wanted to go back to school for Nuclear Medicine......Finally done with that, been working for a couple years in that field, and finally feeling like I can finally get around to finishing it. When we were in south west Florida I had a 65 split window Westfalia that was gutted out and I used to haul my wind surfing equipment.......huge mistake selling that, wish it was a decision I could take back.

I'm in South West Houston, actually right where the Fort Bend tollway ends in Sienna Plantation. The Wife and I are hoping to move to Rice Village or River Oaks area since they are closer to the Med Center.

Lonestar.....was K&M the place on Chimney Rock road that closed down?

And I'll try to get some pictures posted, between work and my general dislike of taking pictures.....I'll give it my best shot :D
Hey, small world! Danny, lol, hadn't thought about that guy in a while. Boom (Doug, actually, Billy was another guy in the club) finally sold off his beetle and i think he lives in AZ now. There are very few of the original dLk founders left, just me and Ethan i think. The Houston chapter is still really strong though, 20-something members. If you want to get back into VW's you should look us up and see about getting in with the Houston chapter. I'm the site admin of www.dlkweb.org so let me know if you register and ill approve your account asap.
I still have my beetle, its changed a lot since i was in Houston. Its a fun little car.
Brian

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

My dad was big into VW's in the late 80's early 90's. I remember many trips to Donsco for parts. Sadly they are gone now..... Oh the memories !
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Kaare-65

Post by Kaare-65 »

mk-Zero.....Thanks for the correction. I was just out walking the dogs and realized I had it wrong and Doug was Boom, and I believe Billy was Fitz (the police officer) correct?
I'll head over to the site and check things out, I can't believe it's only you and Ethan.....I never did get to see the silver beetle with red interior, forget the year, I know it was older than the blue 65 that he had. anyway, I think that was Ethan.....I could be wrong.

RC10th..... No time like the present to get back into a VW. They cost a heck of a lot more than they use to though, but you can get a cheap one that needs lots of work and love.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Unfortunately I've never been into VW's myself but definately appreciate the scene. Living through the hayday was like living though the real life custom VW magazines. Speaking of magazines I'll have to find those again, I loved the bikini girl ads and funky graphics :lol:

My dad had a 72 bug with I think 1250cc kit, twin webbers, exhaust, wide fender kit, custom dash. It was like a go kart with the wide wheels. He also had a Kelmark kit car but I'm not sure what he did to that.

Edit: Magazines were "VW Trends"..... classic :lol:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Kaare-65 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 pm mk-Zero.....Thanks for the correction. I was just out walking the dogs and realized I had it wrong and Doug was Boom, and I believe Billy was Fitz (the police officer) correct?
I'll head over to the site and check things out, I can't believe it's only you and Ethan.....I never did get to see the silver beetle with red interior, forget the year, I know it was older than the blue 65 that he had. anyway, I think that was Ethan.....I could be wrong.
Yup, Billy is Fitz, coolest police officer ever. He got rid of all his VWs a few years back as well, i think hes got a chevy truck or something now. I dont know if you remember Paul (theBucket) and Chuck (Notchback65), they were a couple OG dLk guys too, both sold off all their VW stuff, but are two of my closest friends to this day.
Ethan's gray/red 61 was unbelievable, man he did a nice job on that car. It is a shame you didnt get to see it. He got a good offer on it and bought a split beetle.
Like i said though, despite almost no OG members, the Houston club is really strong. I just dont know many of the members there now.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I'm in Houston. I live in Clear Lake. Sadly, 1/10 scale is dead here. Your racing choices are 1/8 scale ebuggy, truggy, and to a limited extent Short Course. That's at Mike's in Porter. The other options are indoor drift in Sugarland or dirt oval in Alvin.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Kaare-65

Post by Kaare-65 »

mk-Zero... I got to talk to Billy about guitar stuff when I think he was first starting to play. Do you know if he kept with it? I know of TheBucket and Notchback65, they are both names I have seen a lot of post from, I believe they were both over on the Samba.......As for meeting them, I am honestly not sure about that one, I am sure we may have crossed paths before.

fredswain.....I figured out that it was dead pretty quick. I will say I like the 1/8th ebuggy stuff and am getting interested in Short Course Trucks in 1/8 and 1/10. I wonder what it would take to get some interest and a decent track here. I am guessing that it is harder here due to property cost and just being able to find a place for the track and parking for events that would bring in some interest. All the places seems to lurk further out in the bordering towns around Houston and when that happens you get people who are not willing to trek across or around the city to get to the places.

Getting back to those Short Course Trucks.......I really am digging them. The races remind me of the ones back in the 80's where the racing seemed to be more intense and a little dirtier than the clay packed and carpet tracks I see in videos now.