Painting with sharpie pens

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

Painting with sharpie pens

Post by DMAT »

So a design I picked out was too hard to do with just liquid mask and I didnt feel like buying an airbrush setup so I went with the sharpie pen route. I've done a few test sprays on another body with a red and black sharpie to see what back spray colors do. I'm also testing out sharpie's white oid pen too. So far, I've tested with black, white, and silver tamiya brand paint cans

With white, The oil based white pen blended in, The red and black tends to bleed out on the edges and the color might change some. The red went to pinkish and the black gives a purplish color if seen from the right angles. I also saw that if I double layered the ink letting the first layer dry a while first, the color didnt distort much at all.

With silver. It would heavily bleed through unless double layered. The black has an obvious purple tint to it. The red lost a lot of its color to the silver bleeding through

With Black. The black and red pens disappeared completely with nothing showing. The white does stand out pretty well but it needs to be touched up around the edges as only they seemed to discolor.

At moment the only thing I can use is the white to back the sharpie pens.

I also tried out a prismacolor pen. I got a few of the 0.1mm pens. They do not stick to lexan in the slightest. They will wipe right off. But (there is a good side), when trying out a backing spray, they did not bleed in the slightest and once backed, they cant be rubbed off.

Just my experience so far with these. If you care to add your's, it would be appreciated.

Minisforever
Approved Member

Re: Painting with sharpie pens

Post by Minisforever »

I wonder how well a Posca paint pen would stick to lexan?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=canFM9iw4To

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

what im trying to do at moment. The darker part of the head is sharpie backed with the prismacolor marker. once the rest is back, ill try to mask it with liquid mask.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

There was a really long thread over on RCtech.net (aren't they ALL really long? :roll: ) where somebody did intricate, graffiti-like designs all over RC bodies with Sharpie enamel pens (not the permanent ink ones). He claimed over-painting with typical Lexan paint wouldn't affect it and that the enamel-based paint was durable. However, I doubted this as enamel paints typically dry hard and inflexible, and will chip or flake off the body. I bought some of those enamel Sharpie markers and tested this and found I could practically scrape it off with a fingernail. So, it'll look good when applied, and if it does nothing more than sit on a shelf; but I wouldn't recommend it for a runner.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Coelacanth wrote:There was a really long thread over on RCtech.net (aren't they ALL really long? :roll: ) where somebody did intricate, graffiti-like designs all over RC bodies with Sharpie enamel pens (not the permanent ink ones). He claimed over-painting with typical Lexan paint wouldn't affect it and that the enamel-based paint was durable. However, I doubted this as enamel paints typically dry hard and inflexible, and will chip or flake off the body. I bought some of those enamel Sharpie markers and tested this and found I could practically scrape it off with a fingernail. So, it'll look good when applied, and if it does nothing more than sit on a shelf; but I wouldn't recommend it for a runner.
Was the guy from Calgary? 403Sharpie was the name I think. Awesome work. He stopped doing it awhile ago because of the poor attitude of the locals.

I would like a big stick that I can swing in a wide path, take out some of the haters in one fell swoop. Serious...

This guy has some serious talent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp23H0UXSqY

https://www.google.ca/search?q=403sharpie&client=firefox-a&hs=NJ0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qJG4VM3SF8KsogT2tYCgBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=1009

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Yeah, that username rings a bell. I remember most the body or bodies he did with just black enamel Sharpie drawings all over the body, then simply back-spraying it with white. But for the amount of black used (the body was entirely covered with black enamel Sharpie ink), I doubt it would've stood up to even minor abuse. It looked fantastic though.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

One of the problems I always have is doing the black trim around the windows. I had an idea of using vinyl to mask off the windows and then using a black Sharpie to go around the edges. Is this something that would work? I am no artist by far, so any help would be appreciated. I am working on an Ultima Outlaw truck now and then I have a few other vintage Kyosho models to paint soon after. Some look like the windows are just painted black, so that should be much easier for me :roll:

trx1

Post by trx1 »

what I would do is do both the inside and outside..if it fades, oh well, just touch it up. :lol:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Other than an odd dot of ink here and there to simulate a rivet, I can't imagine a sharpie pen would be well suited to paint an entire body. However the fabricator who created this body was able to successfully use a sharpie to create some custom lettering and graphics that have withstood the test of time.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That kinda looks like a supermodel wearing a burlap sack... :? I'd rather see it naked. :D

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Here is a crappy example of 403's work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp23H0UXSqY

There is so much more he has done, a lot of stuff has been removed from the forums.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

403Sharpie indeed does some incredible artwork with those enamel Sharpie pens. Those come with such fine tips, anybody with drawing skills could produce some amazing paint-jobs--it's a helluva lot easier to draw stuff on than to spray-paint or airbrush...maybe because I lack the painting skills and have the drawing skills.

Unfortunately, it seemed like he couldn't take the criticism--not of his artwork, but that the enamel Sharpie ink won't stick to the Lexan, even if you back-spray it. I confirmed it myself, I could practically scrape it off with a fingernail, even on a scuffed & cleaned surface. Only good for show ponies or shelf queens.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I just so happened to paint up this one about 3 weeks ago.
The black is alcohol marker, permanent marker or whatever you call them.
Attachments
WP_DS20160222.jpg

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Very nice, just imagine the detail you can work into the overall design.