Some Bullet Racing/Raborn Racing nostalgia

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Re: Some Bullet Racing/Raborn Racing nostalgia

Post by Johnboy72 »

Sorry Fred I didn't get to measuring them shocks out. Been busy with wrapping up hunting season and processing meat in between work and parts coming in. Car looks great and I too need to look up that Mod body.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i can't remember the thread, but I think someone was looking for small shock similar to delta and found some of the 1/18 scale touring car shocks were pretty close. small diameter to maybe help out with the clearance problems in the rear. I have a 1/18 scale rc18 late model I can take some measurements for you.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I attempted to contact the mold company to either acquire the old molds or to see if they could potentially make more product if requested. Sadly, they are no longer in business. The odds of the old molds surviving is slim. I can't even find anyone associated with that company anymore. From what inventory I've taken, that will limit the total number of cars that can be built using original molded parts to about 75 max which is quite a bit. That's still not taking into account machined parts or shocks. I've got enough of some parts to build twice so most spare parts would still be quite plentiful.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

OK, these little shocks I have on the rc18 are as follows:

they use something like a 4mm ball, so these dimensions use the small ball cup on the bottom, and on the top as well, center to center.

the shaft is pretty small, maybe 2mm.

overall length uncompressed is 1.845"
length compressed is 1.4"
OD of the shock and spring overall is approx 12mm.

with the thin shock shaft and a ball end on the bottom, you would have to find a suitable ball end for a through=mount screw.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

It's funny that you mention those. I remembered that I had some shocks that are like that on my FGX F1 car. I forgot about them since that car and it's parts are in a box buried in corner. In a stroke of luck I think that the B2 style 3/16" axle cvd's will fit on the car. I have outdrives that'll work. I haven't tried it yet but it looks very close. The rear width is the same as an RC10. If those work, the TC shocks will definitely fit. Their issue is clearing the larger diameter telescoping driveshafts. I'll know for sure on the cvd's tonight.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I tried the B2 cvd's last night. No go. They are too long. That means the tc shocks may not work at the rear unless they are mounted behind the arm. The RC18 shocks may be the ticket though. The car was designed for higher traction such as hard packed clay, carpet, or asphalt. It just doesn't need much shock capacity. I'll try a set of those too. I don't necessarily subscribe to the bigger shock is always better shock theory. It's situation dependent. Certainly off-road would benefit from a larger shock than oval would so I'm not thinking this will be an issue. Especially since the car came with Deltas. One way to find out. Incidentally if you've never seen the internal design of a Delta shock, it'll leave you scratching your head.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I tried the tc shocks. They will definitely not work unless the drive goes to cvds. The towers would have to be changed too. I'm going to try the RC18 shocks next. The standard old Delta shocks are actually quite smooth when built well. I honestly don't see why a larger bore is necessary on a smooth track oval car.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I tried RC18 shocks tonight. I only bought a pair of the standard fronts. They are too short. The standard shocks are pretty cheap. They look and feel cheap. They even leak new although that could just be considered an homage to the original Deltas too. I'm not happy with them. I'd need to try the RC18 rears to see if they fit and even then I'd only try the anodized upgrades. I'm now back to favoring the TC shocks but I'll have to make an adapter for the arms to make them work much like I did on my JRX LTO build.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Custom Works, T/M Racing, and RC4Less are some places you can get car foam tired wheels for a 3/16" pin driven axle. If you don't mind going with rubber tires for the truck, jsourbeck on eBay bought out A&L's old stock of monster truck wheels and has hundreds for sale cheap.

Delta is still around so you might want to reach out to him for some old stock. Otherwise Associated VCS Micro shocks are the same length and diameter as Deltas but have a thinner flimsy shock shaft. Kyosho Re-Re Scoprion shocks could also be a solid replacement option.

Likely not the best solution out there, but Traxxas sliders might be usable. The stub axles on them are not hardened steel so turning them down from 5mm to 3/16" would be incredibly tedious but not completely impossible. :x

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Thanks for the tip on TM Racing. That's a good source for rear tires.

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

would love to have a rayborn painted body!!!!!!!
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Me too! It's actually Tamiya camel yellow which is essentially the same orangish color of the box art RC10. I was thinking about having my Airs truck body and Probe EM body painted that way again. I've have to pay someone to do it. I'm no painter. The originals were painted by Bichin' Bodies.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Now everything is getting organised: did you find some of the turbo glide transmissions?
And how about the trailing arms for the utlima and rc10? Those ads always intrigued me.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Raborn was the oval company (primarily). Bullet was the offroad company that preceded it. The Powerglide and the Trailing arms were before Raborn so none of those were in the parts lot. It is all organized now btw. I've got several items repackaged and ready to sell again such as rear arm/telescoping driveshaft conversions for the RC10 and RC10T, Slipper clutches for the Traxxas TRX-1, JRX2 oval chassis, Invencer parts, and a few other things right now.

I have Powerglide belt drive parts but not enough for a complete kit. I'm working on seeing if I can get a few things redone though but it's a ways off. In all honesty the A&L belt drive is a far nicer unit. The trailing arms will be easier. I've got lots of the carbon arms themselves but the rest of the parts are scarce. I just received my first 3D printed replacements parts for them. I need to refine one thing and then test them out but trailing arms wouldn't be that difficult to make again if there was demand. Here's a picture of my 3D printed prototypes.

For the fun of it here's my Bullet team car. Our team cars were not drilled for RC10 gearboxes. They only used the Powerglide belt drive and the trailing arms. These trailing arms were thicker than the production pieces. The production pieces were .115" thick. These are 4mm (.157"). This car also has the long front tower that only works with graphite chassis since nose tubes don't clear. Remember this was about 1989 so long front shocks were the thing back then. I've upgraded this car to use my longer front arms with B4 wheels so this car has 2.2's all around. The perspective I took the picture from makes the proportions of a car a bit weird looking but this is a pretty rare Bullet car. The only other one that I know still exists is Barry's ROAR Nats car that we rebuilt but he's got new rccarbonworks towers and V2 shocks on his. I threw on some newer truck shocks on mine that were lying around. I'm planning to add the A&L steering rack to it soon. It's already got ball studs and cups from the 22 and Lunsford Punisher turnbuckles.
Attachments
Bullet Team Car 1.jpg
trailing arms.jpg

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

damn. that is awesome!