Source for NiMH subc cells?

ESCs, chargers, radios, batteries, etc...

Moderator: scr8p

GeneralZod

Source for NiMH subc cells?

Post by GeneralZod » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 pm

For my restoration project, I tried to revive my old SCR's for fun but they are very weak and heard some "pop" during charge. Maybe use them for display purposes it seems.

Anyway, does anyone know a good source for NiMH subc cells so I can build some new saddle packs for my old pan cars? I have contemplated buying a 6 cell NiMH pack and gutting it but would prefer single cells for the rebuild. Thanks for any help!

R Cane

Re: Source for NiMH subc cells?

Post by R Cane » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:16 am

There are a fair number of listings on FeeBay for loose sub-C cells. At some point, I plan to pick some up, as it's far cheaper to build a pack than buy one, especially for the larger capacity cells. Having not purchased any yet, though, I can't comment on the quality...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100x-Sub-C-Sub ... 1438.l2649

GeneralZod

Post by GeneralZod » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am

WOW - 6000mah - I wonder if that is accurate? If so, It would be fun to try them out and make several 4 or 6 cell packs. I wonder if they would retain that capacity after several charge/discharge cycles. It would certainly bring my cars back from the dead!

R Cane

Post by R Cane » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:59 am

No idea how good they are. I wouldn't buy 100 to start with, but 12 or 14 would be a pretty inexpensive experiment to test them...

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:30 pm

most of those cells are not designed for rapid discharge and recharge. they usually are made for battery operated tools that have a regulator inside to limit the discharge rates and they charge at a slower rate then 45 minutes to 90 minutes.
however for a bash around they are most likely fine.

It would take some effort to figure out if the MAH rating is real. all the test equipment that is hobby related can't actually test these cells. as a quick way would be setting a known discharge amperage and timing the cells until they hit .9Volts per cell.

the test equipment is almost 20 years old now and was designed with limits of the time of around 2500-3000Mah. this was because the batteries of the era were 2400 max and anything over that was thought to show a damaged cell and force the equipment to shutdown to prevent a fire. there was a firmware change to the Turbo 35 that lifted the MAH limit but i don't think the G35 got that same change they lifted Voltage crossover limits for LIPO on that unit.

So you would have to find an alternative for capacity testing. matching them would be impossible with just about any cell matcher as again they have programmed MAH limits to prevent a fire, and they would read a large capacity as an error and abort the cell matching.

basically when lipo replaced NIMH all the equipment was scraped and not updated anymore. even commercial cell matchers would be unable to match these.

There are still 2400, 2200, 1900 Mah NIMH cells with SCR rating you can buy in bulk.

me if i was going for MAH rating that high i would just get a ROAR approved LIPO pack it is just cheaper. if you are going to really run these batteries in competition for some vintage event then i would get the lower MAH and a SCR rating the lower the MAH the lower the IR and you can do all the old tricks to the cells.

a few years ago i bought Bulk 1300Mah SCR NICD cells i made a bunch of battery packs from that batch after cell matching them, all are still in use today.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Just beware somewhere around 3000-3300 mah the cells became physically larger and wont fit some cars.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

makoman1860

Post by makoman1860 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 am

Those no-name ebay cells are a complete waste. I have bought samples of most of them including the 6000 mAh cells and cycled/tested them. I think they came in around 1400 mAh capacity and had such high IR that they could barely push out 20A. If you want a decent NiMh to fit in place of the smaller cells look for tenergy 3000 cells, they have been working really really well for me. If you can tolerate a little fatter diameter the tenergy 3800s are nice. For Nicads the tenergy 2200 cells perform well and have been good for my kids to use with my old timer based chargers. I use gulf coast battery myself and have been very very happy.

R Cane

Post by R Cane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:01 am

Good to know!
8)

Return to “Old School Electronics”