1987 ROAR offroad nationals

The place for digital versions of race reports from various sources.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jirka
Approved Member

1987 ROAR offroad nationals

Post by Jirka »

RCCA 1987-12 ROAR nats 00.jpg
RCCA 1987-12 ROAR nats 00.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
RCCA 1987-12 ROAR nats 00.jpg
RCCA 1987-12 ROAR nats 00.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
RCCA 1987-12 ROAR nats 01.jpg
RCCA 1987-12 ROAR nats 02.jpg
RCCA 1987-12 ROAR nats 03.jpg
Jirka

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Re: 1987 ROAR offroad nationals

Post by AscotConversion »

I talked to Don Jones last Sunday, he still has his 2WD Mod winning car in his basement. He said it was built off a piece of graphite with a kickup. Rc10 short arm parts on the front, rear trailing arms, Kyosho shocks. He told me he almost let Mike Giem run the car, as it was so good, but decided to race it himself.

I told him to take some pictures so guys can get a good look at it, maybe he will.

clintf

Post by clintf »

AscotConversion wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm I talked to Don Jones last Sunday, he still has his 2WD Mod winning car in his basement. He said it was built off a piece of graphite with a kickup. Rc10 short arm parts on the front, rear trailing arms, Kyosho shocks. He told me he almost let Mike Giem run the car, as it was so good, but decided to race it himself.

I told him to take some pictures so guys can get a good look at it, maybe he will.
That would be awesome, I'd definitely like to see photos of it.

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

AscotConversion wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm I talked to Don Jones last Sunday, he still has his 2WD Mod winning car in his basement. He said it was built off a piece of graphite with a kickup. Rc10 short arm parts on the front, rear trailing arms, Kyosho shocks. He told me he almost let Mike Giem run the car, as it was so good, but decided to race it himself.

I'd love to get my hands on that car and have a look!!!

As a kid growing up in the southwest suburbs it was a big deal to me if I could get my Dad to drive me to JOROCC or the Thunderdome to practice or race. On days that Jim Dieter and the crew showed up I'd always try to sneak a peak at all the tricked out stuff they were working on and racing. I built my own 'Dieterbuilt' and raced it a few years after those Nats, always dreamed of getting my hands on one of their Schumacher Cats as well.

Those guys and their cars were legendary, it was a good time to be a kid fawning over those cars both in real life and in the pages of RCCA. Good memories for sure... :D

->Mark