If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JHarris
Approved Member

Re: If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

Post by JHarris »

Yes these were a RP product. The pin angle was an attempt to make dogbone scrub more consistant. I didn't get into testing these dogbones much so I can't give you an honest answer how they worked. I do know they were much stronger than the stock units.

We used a Kyosho universal joint drive axle. They were not CVD. It was from the Lazer car I believe. We would modify them on our own cars to accept the Pro Radiant one way wheel hubs.

When I originally posted Mike's response I was using my iPhone so I couldn't change the text color to show it was from him, not me. As for asking the question again; don't sweat it. If you want to know something ask. I know Mike is a very busy guy and I don't know how long I will be able to send him questions so now is the time! I know we've all heard it before, but the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Now for a shameless plug for myself- I am looking for any Pro Radiant parts I can get. I plan to build the car I have as a replica of my former car, but also want to build one that I can experiment with using modern diffs, belts (yes, BELTS) and CVD's.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

OK thanks for the info on the dog bones... I just realized I already had asked the universal axle question. Sorry about that.

stevedunn

Post by stevedunn »

Wow....what a flash back.

Mike told you guys all the secrets.

The biggest reason he didnt win in Australia was the tires. Yokamo and Associated teams had special tires just for that race and our teams were caught with our pants down and didnt know that they stretched the rules or found a lupoll in the rules.

These tires were larger and had thousands of pins or spikes......2.2 in wheels and the tires balloned over the side of the wheels. Mike also qualified 2nd in 2wd with his losi and x pattern tires that were truly the under dog of the race but he gave Masami a run for his money and also got taken out by some of the associated team on purpose while leading and lapping them. This was an ongoing fight between the darkside(losi) and the Force(associated) side. My mistake was not taking crap from anyone and speaking out how I felt at the races which made other racers hate us....

I am sorry about that if I offended anyone back in the day.....

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Steve-
Thanks for posting the other side of the story. I recall reading about the tire rule stretching in RCCA but was not aware of the other games being played.

dirtdiver

stevedunn

Post by stevedunn »

playing the part.....Darkside.

We had the shirts made to mess with the FORCE...lol

Race Prep Fatory Authorized Hack......They hated this and it really flamed up the races.

Back then it was Us (Losi Team 5 racers) against the Associated teams(15 racers) They had factory supported teams like PEAK and others which Losi didnt have. So it was us against the world it seemed like. It also seemed Associated was paying the drivers which brought the dirty side out of them and made the racing bad and too much like a crap shoot. It took the fun out of it real quick for me and a bunch of others I bet. maybe it was just a bonus for the win? I didnt care after a few take outs from them. It left a bad taste in my mouth for the sport and the organizers.

I remember I wasnt really in it for the wins as much as the fun and the challenge back then. I had too much fun in Australia and I remember the Girl at the front desk at the hotel liked me a little too much and I tried to focus on racing but couldnt......lol

I also remember I almost killed a bunch of racers by driving on the wrong side of the road by mistake over there and jumping the van down a long driveway while looking for Pizza hut....lol we found it and it was good-just like the states......

good times...hahaha

The new challenge was 1/8 buggy nitro racing in 1991 I think is also another reason why we got away from AYK cars and the stuff. Team Kyosho was looking good and they where also the under dogs with lots of money tho......lol Associated had yokomo and Masami and Losi had kyosho as a allie.

Then the real fun started because it was hard to keep your stuff running and you needed a pit guy to make a good team.

Mike is a natural at R/c but he lost interest in the 90's. He still came out and kicked butt when he wanted but could have won every race if he practiced some....lol I needed to practice and race all the time to just make the mains then I got old.

stevedunn

Post by stevedunn »

Funny thing is he is a Natural at everything he does......I cant beat him at anything....lol

Dwarf Dirt Oval racing is cool but I can only beat him if he crashes...lol

#67 is Mikes
# 65 is my rental from Dad
#66 is my old ride that brother in law drives
Attachments
0320001857a[1].jpg

stevedunn

Post by stevedunn »

Jeff,
we need to hook up and race somewhere......I cant remember back then when you came out to Cali...lol

These days I race at a local track 10 mins away and raise my 3 girls. I have had the easy life back here the last 3 years ... til I get a job soon....lol Anyone looking for a old R/C racer for work????? haha

stevedunn

Post by stevedunn »

trying to put another pic up but cant....hummm
Attachments
Race%20Photos%20016%202winner winner ckn dnr.jpg
Race%20Photos%20016%202winner winner ckn dnr.jpg (92.92 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Race%20Photos%20016%202winner winner ckn dnr.jpg
Race%20Photos%20016%202winner winner ckn dnr.jpg (92.92 KiB) Viewed 2376 times

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

stevedunn wrote:trying to put another pic up but cant....hummm
Hey Steve, the pic is probably to large you may need to make it smaller.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Steve,

We will be driving north in September to make the assault on the Waterbury Open (a Happy Gilmore reference). I can pick you up on the way! Of course you could always come down here to the happiest place on earth!

stevedunn

Post by stevedunn »

I try and race within 1hr only...lol ..til i get a job

I guess the pic was too big so I posted another...guess which guy is me.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Steve- god love you mate. :mrgreen:

What a cool story to tell. You can certainly bet that your brother, your self and your families company 'Race Prep' has left a great legacy in the sport. I think its pretty darn cool that you guys ran a chain driven car back when everyone else was running all the fine pitch belt cars and you guys did well enough with them too.

Im not one to take the easy road and love the challenge of coming from behind. While Im still learning all the stuff that went on behind the scenes (and thankyou for sharing) it was obvious to me that you guys did exceptionaly well in a world wide arena considering who you guys were up against back then and the kind of money the other team had in comparison to a small family business.

Kudos goes out to the Dunn family and the Race Prep Team drivers.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

It also seemed Associated was paying the drivers which brought the dirty side out of them and made the racing bad and too much like a crap shoot. It took the fun out of it real quick for me and a bunch of others I bet. maybe it was just a bonus for the win?

I can certainly confirm for you that the current "A" team contracts DO include financial incentives. That also includes drivers that aren't on the weekly payroll. I don't know what they had going on back then, but I'm sure Jay could shed some light on it. Maybe you (Steve) or Mike can check with him and see what the incentive was back then.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i never had to be paid to dump someone. :mrgreen: :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

stevedunn wrote:trying to put another pic up but cant....hummm
Is that track east of I-95? Run by a guy named Chad? :wink: If so, you are in my neck of the woods-