If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

carloco8
Approved Member

Re: If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

Post by carloco8 »

JHarris wrote:
Y'ernat Al wrote:Did I find the missing Scorpion..?
The attachment Capture.JPG is no longer available
If so, there are a few of them for sale over in the bst forum. :D :D

Seriously though, am I remembering correctly (as the smoke drifts out my ears I am trying) that Mike Dunn's Scorpions have that checker pattern belt around the body? Would love to see photos of the old Scorpion days if Mike has any he'd want to share.

I only have one picture of me holding my scorpion. It was a cover shot on Copetion plus mag. I will see if I can scan it. Yes my car had the checkered sticker around the body.
Wow, I read this and then it hit me- I remembered seeing this old magazine when I was organizing some old rc boxes just a couple weeks ago!
Attachments
'83 abc.JPG
Old school racing all the way!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

That was exactly the pic in the back of my head! I too had that mag! That's a good feeling to have those sort of memories leak back in :D Thanks!
- Brian -

My Gallery

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Jeff/Mike-
I was looking through some old race results last night and saw that Race Prep sold batteries under their name. How long did Race Prep match batteries and sell them under their name? Also was there a special Race Prep battery sticker that you received when you bought batteries?

Thank-you

dirtdiver

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Dirtdiver wrote:Jeff/Mike-
I was looking through some old race results last night and saw that Race Prep sold batteries under their name. How long did Race Prep match batteries and sell them under their name? Also was there a special Race Prep battery sticker that you received when you bought batteries?

Thank-you

dirtdiver

Yes we sold the Sanyo brand under the Race Prep name. We were one of 5 distributors. We eventually gave up the distributorship and sales of batteries. Im not sure when that was but it was prior to 2000 mah batteries. The SCR1700 was the last battery that we sold. We did not have a specific battery sticker like the motor sticker.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I had a member PM me and ask who made the Pro Radiant truck conversion kit. I never got involved with the truck conversion so I sent the question to Mike. Here's his response:

We had Andy (of ANDYS R/C) pull the body. We bought wheels from another supplier. Tires we bought from Losi. And other few parts were supplied by other companies. We packaged it and sold it under the Race Prep label.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

JHarris wrote:I had a member PM me and ask who made the Pro Radiant truck conversion kit. I never got involved with the truck conversion so I sent the question to Mike. Here's his response:

We had Andy (of ANDYS R/C) pull the body. We bought wheels from another supplier. Tires we bought from Losi. And other few parts were supplied by other companies. We packaged it and sold it under the Race Prep label.
Thanks Jeff for the info much appreciated

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

After posting the pictures of Mike's Pro Radiant from the 1989 worlds he and I had a conversation about the observations all of you made and some of the other modifications. Mike's car was equipped with a modified front shock tower that increased the suspension function. Here's his explanation of what he did and it's function. This is a cut/paste from 2 different emails so if it seems a little broken, that's the reason.

Kinda surprised nobody noticed the pivoting front tower on my Pro Radiant. They spotted everything else. The front tower was nicked named the "flippity flop" (not by me). I also used one on my Kyosho Laser. It had limit stops on it. The RCCA article should show pics of that.

I did have a special slipper clutch on the car. Not sure where it went.

We drilled an additional3mm hole between the two original mounting holes of the tower and bulkhead. It pivoted off this hole. We shaped the bottom of the tower like a slight "V" to allow it to pivot and this surface acted like limit stops.

The trick to any 4 wd drive car is to never loose front drive while cornering. So if the inside tire lifts from the ground then you have just a 2wd car at that point. This is why the mono shock worked so well. Problem with the mono shock is you had the dampening and spring of only one shock for both wheels. Our system was the best of both worlds. We used a small sway bar to keep it centered and keep it from waundering.

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

I see the "rocker" on the PRO , but on the world car, I see 2 screen on the lower shock tower ...it's the same car ,sure?
Different wing, chassis 6 cells...

Mike can make a pic below the car and how many toe in on the white rear part ?
Attachments
Pro Dunn 89 s.jpg

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Look at the picture of Mike's car from the '89 worlds on page 3 of this thread. Note the single screw in the center of the front tower which allowed for the rocking action.

There are pictures of Mike's cars from both the '87 and '89 worlds out there. Could the picture you posted be from the '87 worlds?

I will ask about the rear toe for the '89 car.

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

The pic above is the 89 world car ,take on the race in French RC magazine...and the shock tower is in front of the support and not on the rear like on the Mike pic ! :wink:
Maybe he make the rocker after the Worlds :?:

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Mike can make a pic below the car and how many toe in on the white rear part ?[/quote]

back then I think it was zero

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Hi Jeff , you say the white nylon part is used like chain guide ? can you explain ,
and the chain is free in the middle of the car !!!
Thanks PRP.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

In which picture? The picture a few posts above shows a chain tensioner in the standard position. I'm not sure I follow you or completely understand your question. Can you point out which post you are talking about so I can get the answer you need.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Hi have another question

A few year ago I got a bunch of Radiant proRadiant dog bones with a box of new parts. They are exacly the same as the standard black dogbones but they are gold and the "pins" at each side of the dog bone are angled perpendicular instead of on the same angle... I'm not sure I'm explaining this properly I hope I am.

I'm wondering if this was a RacePrep upgrade and if yes what was the avantage of repositioning the "pins" that way.

Also I'm assuming racers were using CVDs from other cars but which ones?

Thanks...

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Mike says: "The rear toe block was made that way just to tie things together better. Bottom chassis to side chassis. You may have also noticed the carbon fiber angle pieces that tie the bottom to side chassis eliminating the bottom chain guide???

Mike don't use the black central chain guide from AYK, the chain is free in the middle of the chassis ???
Or the white Toe in is a new chain guide ?
Thanks