WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markt311
Approved Member

WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

Post by markt311 »

Kent, if you have time this thread can be used for your 10th scale and speed run cars. Thanks so much for taking your time to show us your collection! The 12th scale thread has been one of the best threads I've read in a long time.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

scr8p
Administrator

Re: WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

Post by scr8p »

kent, were you already at hpi when the 10lss insane speed and super oval conversions were produced, or were they already out? just wondered if you had any influence on the design.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

scr8p wrote:kent, were you already at hpi when the 10lss insane speed and super oval conversions were produced, or were they already out? just wondered if you had any influence on the design.

correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't that a project between joe mcgregor and hpi?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i don't know, that's why i'm asking. :wink:

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

markt311 wrote:Kent, if you have time this thread can be used for your 10th scale and speed run cars. Thanks so much for taking your time to show us your collection! The 12th scale thread has been one of the best threads I've read in a long time.
OK. I'm going to finish up all of the 1/12 items first.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

scr8p wrote:kent, were you already at hpi when the 10lss insane speed and super oval conversions were produced, or were they already out? just wondered if you had any influence on the design.
That was before I started with HPI. Back then I knew Tatsuro because he bought LAVco products. He always gave me parts to try, and I used HPI parts like the wing buttons, wing mounts, aero lower plate etc. But I didn't have any input on those designs.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ok. reason i ask.....

after i got my hpi insane chassis, i found out that the chassis is about 1/4" longer than a standard 10l/10lss. i noticed, when looking at your speed run car from '91, it looked as though you used more or less a standard 10l chassis, but installed the ss rear pod, narrowed the front of the chassis to ss width, and moved the front suspension ahead about 1/4".

that's why i wondered if you had any design influence on the chassis (longer wheelbase), or if that was a common practice to do for cars in that event for stability issues (or something else).

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Associated always did what it took to be competitive. So if we needed a custom chassis for speed runs or enduros they would have them made. I designed a chassis with 7 holes on each side that I used for several events. It had extra mounting holes for the front suspension that allowed for longer & narrower wheelbases to suit the track. I also cut some of the parts myself.

I'm not sure on the evolution of the HPI oval cars and speed run cars, but they were always very competitive. I think Gary and Joe had a lot of personal input at that time.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

kent, who started the brushless revolution in the insane runs? and, how did you get started with the aveox brushless motors?

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

That's a good question. I think it might have been Gary Hamilton.

We were already pretty much at the limit of what the standard 05 motors could handle when I went 85mph. At LAVco we had a special speed run dyno that would blow up a motor in less than 10 seconds :) The motors just couldn't handle that many cells and that much RPM. The comms would blow up.

That same year at the Thunderdrome event a guy showed up with an airplane that was brushless powered. We watched him fly it straight up into the sky as far as we could see it, then it came back down at over 100mph. It was powered by an Aveox motor so I got in touch with Aveox about the possibility of using a brushless motor & ESC for the speed runs. I think David Polombo was the owner, he ended up coming out to the track and sponsoring some of the top drivers.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

did you guys already start with reinforcing chassis', narrowing bodies, and other gear pre-brushless motors? at those high speeds, with brushless motors, did you have to have a different style of driving the cars round the oval?

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

littleVETTE wrote:did you guys already start with reinforcing chassis', narrowing bodies, and other gear pre-brushless motors? at those high speeds, with brushless motors, did you have to have a different style of driving the cars round the oval?
The cars were fairly good before we went to brushless motors. The main difference was that brushless allowed you to use a lot more cells, so you needed a chassis that had room for at least 20 cells. The faster speeds and heavier cars made it necessary to run the chassis very high off the ground to prevent it from dragging in the corners.

The driving style wasn't a lot different. Just hang on and hope you didn't hit anything, explode a tire, or have an aero blowover.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Kent, is there any chance any of your Speed run cars would get dusted off and receive some new capped tires? Maybe make a nostalgic apearance at the R/C Insane Speed Run Challenges?

I think BSR still makes caps :)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i can already see that the insane speed run cars are gonna be the topic of choice in the 1/10 scale thread. :lol: :lol:

and here's a question about another one.....

from what i can recall, shawn ireland works with you at hpi, correct? i remember a full carbon fiber car he built for the speed runs from an old rcca issue (97-98 maybe?). i think the article said they estimated he was going over 100 mph down the backstrech when the cap blew off the tire and killed run (or something like that). but anyway, do you know if that car is still kickin' around somewhere? that was a neat car. i'd love to see some nice pics of that.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

^^beat me to it. what happened to that car? and didn't it ever get off the ground?