WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

i crash cars
Approved Member

Re: WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

Post by i crash cars »

WC1982 wrote:Update: I found a few photos that show my RC10 Tide oval car and a few others as well. I think the RC10L is the car I took to the first 1/10 On-Road Nationals in Alabama. Also shown is my RC10T truck with "Dirt Shark!" stickers on the hood.
10th Scale Tide 1.jpg
10th Scale Tide 2.jpg
10th Scale Tide 3.jpg
The cars look fantastic and bring back many memories. Did the RC10 have a prototype DS10 kit on it or were all of the lowering components custom? Do you have any shots w/o the body?

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Kent did you mean RC10 or RC10L in reference to the tide stock car?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

drbelleville wrote:Kent did you mean RC10 or RC10L in reference to the tide stock car?
the tide stock car with the #7 on the windsheild is an rc10 buggy converted to an oval car. the other ones are 10l's.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

MCallister conversion?

phoenix
Approved Member

Post by phoenix »

Hi Kent, all,

does anyone have LAVco stickers or knows a place where to get repros of them? I just started got hold of a new RC12L and am in replica mode again :)

Thanks

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

scr8p wrote:
drbelleville wrote:Kent did you mean RC10 or RC10L in reference to the tide stock car?
the tide stock car with the #7 on the windsheild is an rc10 buggy converted to an oval car. the other ones are 10l's.
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the chassis of that car. I seem to remember that we ran short front shocks on all 4 corners. We might have cut down a standard rear shock tower and mounted it lower on the rear bulkhead. And I think the front bumper was from RPM.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

phoenix wrote:Hi Kent, all,

does anyone have LAVco stickers or knows a place where to get repros of them? I just started got hold of a new RC12L and am in replica mode again :)

Thanks
I dug through all of my stuff and only found a couple cut-up LAVco stickers. I can't think of anyone that would have a decent stash left anymore.

If anyone wants to make replicas I can supply the graphics.

phoenix
Approved Member

Post by phoenix »

Hi Kent - first of all thank you for looking for the decals and offering your help ! Maybe one of the repro guys here is interested in doing some repros ? :mrgreen:

bladeszx2
Approved Member

Post by bladeszx2 »

That's a stack of rare Japanese HPI Jaguar 1/12 bodies in the front row, great looking body. quote]

Kent,

I've been looking for that body for a while. I have an old RC Car Action that showed this body in the inside scoop. I e-mailed HPI about a year ago about the 1/12 scale Jaguar body and was told the form was destroyed years ago and that HPI didn't have any more. If you are willing to part with one, I like to buy one off of you. Please send me a PM please. I can't beleive you have a STACK of them!:-)

Thanks,

Ben
I am an RC Scalehead and I am proud of it!

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Hi kent i guess that you dont have any 1/11 roadstar bodys from 90´s left.

mvh Isobarik

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

isobarik wrote:Hi kent i guess that you dont have any 1/11 roadstar bodys from 90´s left.

mvh Isobarik
Sorry, no bodies or decals sitting around. The mold still exists, but it's boxed up and on a rack somewhere.

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Kent-
Can you tell us what it was like to race at Lake Whippoorwill? Did you have any special set-up for your cars and was the track pretty easy to drive?

Thank-you

dirtdiver

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

The Whip was a really fun track to drive. The surface was very smooth concrete so capped tires worked great. The banking was higher on the tri-oval than on the other 2 turns so there was a slight amount of compromise on your set-up. As I recall, I set my car up to work on the flat corners.

For ovals I always trimmed my steering so it turned left automatically, it made the car turn in consistently and made it so you didn't have to saw on the wheel to make it turn. Most of the time I used stock Associated cars without a lot of modification. Tire stagger was the most critical factor, then it was just a matter of freeing up the car so it would get around the track fast. With just the right amount of steering the car felt like it would whip around the track effortlessly.

The track wasn't really that big so the lap times were super quick. And the cars went so fast that it wasn't uncommon to see them get airborn. I remember one race where Joel Johnson and I were racing side-by-side for several laps. I gave Joel a little nudge and his car flew about 6 feet into the air and hit the scoreboard. It was a complete shock to me because you get used to the speed and lose perspective of how fast the cars are going. Then all of a sudden the car flies or you have a giant crash with a car that was stopped. You'd see some crazy broken parts every race, especially in the enduros.

Bob Hosch was the master promoter. Great facility, awesome PA system and commentary during the races, giant electronic AMB scoreboard, huge two-story drivers stand, grandstands for spectating, barbeque lunch and dinner, and lots of pit space. He really took oval racing to a whole new level. I look back on the races at Whippoorwhill and think what a great time that was. All of the big teams would roll in and have super close racing for an entire week.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Do they still run at the whip?

I drive through Indy all the time and see a veledrome on the west side of town and always think to myself how great it would be to have a race there.!

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Sadly the Whip is long gone, the land was bought by the big church across the street and now I think it's condos. There's a pretty good thread over on RCtech

http://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more/256042-lake-whippoorwill-international-speedway.html
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!