B4 vs Original Gold Tub

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

B4 vs Original Gold Tub

Post by Team Best Performance »

This is an Xtreme RC Cars article from 03 comparing the B4 to the original Gold Tub ,coinciding with the release of the B4 back then.Enjoy!

Kyosho Triumph,Ultima Pro,Pro-X,Lazer ZXR MKII,Lazer ZX-S,Original Predator Woven C/F Chassis
Custom CNC Anodised Aluminium ,Carbon ,Fiberglass & Plastic parts for RC & full scale applications

ra272
Approved Member

Post by ra272 »

Cool review, did they really put a 10 turn in the old 6 gears? :shock:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Well, that should calm that argument down a bit, then. :D

Three seconds a lap is an eternity on a race track. I don't doubt that a well-prepped old school RC10 with contemporary wheels, tires, inserts and electronics could be a very solid performer, but it's completely outclassed with the cars of today.

I do like the idea of assembling an old school car with current pieces, though. :idea: Maybe a B4 with an old school look, too. :D Might have to do an early box art paint job on my spare B4 body...

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

6 gear without slipper against the B4 ain't that fair...don't blame them though.Magazines do play an important role for the industry and hobby.Anyone want to built a Detroit 91 replica car with prototype parts to face the B4 I can offer CAD/mfg help.
Kyosho Triumph,Ultima Pro,Pro-X,Lazer ZXR MKII,Lazer ZX-S,Original Predator Woven C/F Chassis
Custom CNC Anodised Aluminium ,Carbon ,Fiberglass & Plastic parts for RC & full scale applications

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

I think the Extreme RC Cars guys did an ok job with that article but I miss the excitement the old pan cars produce. Where are the chassis shots? Where is the back-to-back comparesion of the parts? :(

Just my two (Euro) cent ... :roll:

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Minicooper 35 wrote:I think the Extreme RC Cars guys did an ok job with that article but I miss the excitement the old pan cars produce. Where are the chassis shots? Where is the back-to-back comparesion of the parts? :(

Just my two (Euro) cent ... :roll:
Yeah, very cool idea, very poorly executed.

The OG held it's own pretty good against the B4, but I think Apex is right, 3 seconds might as well be 3 miles.

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

what do you think they were gonna say?? Come on.. Associated advertises in the magazine and sales of the mag could be hurt if associated pulled out.. get real.. What do you think Associated would have done if tey said that 20 years did NOT produce a better car??? Think about it.. I used to work for an automotive magazine (writer) so I know how it works.. Ill bet my next months check that if the comparo was actually done by an impartial group that it would never be a 3 second lap difference.. Guarantee it..

Sorry, this guy has been around long enough not to know better..:)

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Very true.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Do you guys really believe that the old cars are capable of running head-to-head with the newer cars? Seriously, that's not a rhetorical question.

"Everything has improved in the last 20 years, except sex and puppys."
—Smokey Yunick

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

I believe that one of the 2 stealth cars may be faster on a rough track ,like the one most of the world races on (remember last Worlds or what Australian tracks usually look like...) than a B4 .A worlds 93 car will be a bit behind but not that much with great balance .It is not that Associated did not do a good job.It is just that they prefered to design a more nimble car to handle on tight,dried up tracks like the ones the Nats or other races are held on. You can't have it all though without providing a platform with much more substantial tuning options other than roll centers ,camber and 2-3mm of wheelbase.Taking a standard XX first generation car out in an open dusty and blown out track against a B4 or XXX-CR might surprise you,and it is not only me who says so...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, everyone got their own opinion, so.....................
Attachments
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I definitely need to build an old car up into a race-ready chassis with current tech tires to test head-to-head with a new B4 on various track conditions.

:roll:

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

I am with you.That is a hobby and there is magic in experimenting and learning.Car modellers should learn a lot from boat and aircraft modellers who seem to go a lot more in depth with what they have in their hands.This is a big part of fun and the joy this hobby brings,lets not forget that.

MOmo
Approved Member

Re: B4 vs Original Gold Tub

Post by MOmo »

Im in the process of doing the exact same thing. It would be cool to see what the car does.

In addition, if i can get my hands on a graphite chassis for a Team car/6gear tranny, i want to make it competitive.

I think i will travel out to my folks and pul out some of my original RCCAs and look at comparisons.

I thought about that as a section for the page actually. "THIS MONTH IN HISTORY" and randomly pick a year/ and month and highlight some of the points and "cutting edge" info of the day.

MOmo

bgruen
Approved Member

Re: B4 vs Original Gold Tub

Post by bgruen »

The 6 gear tranny adds friction and an inconsistent diff/slipper action. I'd wager that a lightened tub / stealth / wide front end original RC10 would be a lot closer than 3 seconds, maybe even faster on certain tracks.

What I detest about the newer cars is the lack of customize-ability. Your battery must go here and your ESC there. Trailing arm kit? What are you thinking? It's easier to customize a modern pan car than a modern off roader.

Bob
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box