17.5T stock class racer build

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Re: 17.5T stock class racer build

Post by Zac_F71 »

JK Racing wrote:That is sad to hear. I have a handful of those OrangeRX and love em all. No issues.

Either way, there are bound to be bad ones out there. Grab an OG Spektrum and rock that thing.
That's what I did bought a brand new SR300 receiver to see if it fixes it, if not I'll bind my DX2E transmitter to it to see if that changes anything

Proc1973

Post by Proc1973 »

I have the same issue in my racing cars when I use savox servos. I found that I needed to use a power cap plugged in to the receiver No problems since. Give it a go, they're a very cheap fix at a few pounds each.

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

Proc1973 wrote:I have the same issue in my racing cars when I use savox servos. I found that I needed to use a power cap plugged in to the receiver No problems since. Give it a go, they're a very cheap fix at a few pounds each.
It has one plugged into the AUX slot in the receiver.. I ordered a SR300 Receiver so I'll mess with it once I get it here at the end of the week

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

Great build thread. Will be interested to hear how you make out once the receiver issues get sorted.
I killed an Edinger...the shame

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

Thanks! Still waiting for the body and new receiver sadly.. I also ordered a Protek 150mm sensor wire to replace the 200mm+ long one that came with the motor - got that installed tonight and that's all til the receiver and body show up!

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Zac_F71, I'm trying to make a parts list for the things I need to make the swap to B4 shocks on my World's car. Would you happen to have the part numbers for the blue aluminum standoffs used on the front and rear shocks? Any other things I need besides the front/rear shocks and springs? I sure would appreciate it. Your build has inspired me. :)

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

joey_zrl wrote:Zac_F71, I'm trying to make a parts list for the things I need to make the swap to B4 shocks on my World's car. Would you happen to have the part numbers for the blue aluminum standoffs used on the front and rear shocks? Any other things I need besides the front/rear shocks and springs? I sure would appreciate it. Your build has inspired me. :)
Let me know if you need specific pics of how it currently is setup!

Shock towers are on eBay - RC Carbon works - links below

The rear arm mounts must be in the shorter wheelbase or you need to space out the rear shock tower and mount the shocks on the back side - I went shorter wheelbase as it looks stock this way

I used 2 Traxxas 2539 spacer kits

Shock bushing depend on the shock cap used - I have aluminum caps and have AE 1780 and 1781 bushings - not sure which bushings the plastic caps use - use long bushings in front and short one's in rear

- Hardware - (I used titanium but use whatever your budget allows - Amain has a TON of titanium screws)
Front -
Top - 4-40x7/8"
Bottom - 4-40x3/4"
2.5mm spacer on top
Stock RC10 shock end

Rear -
Top 4-40x3/4"
Bottom - 4-40x7/8"
1.5mm or 2.5mm spacer on top
3.8mm spacer on bottom
Stock RC10 shock end

Front tower
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CW-071-M3-RE-Extended-Worlds-Front-Shock-Tower-RC10-3MM-RACERS-EDITION-/152250334280?hash=item2372d3bc48:g:vHUAAOSw8gVX4twr

Rear tower (used stock plastic B5 wing mounts with the bottom 2 holes cut off and Jconcepts C4.2 wing and AE wing clip (the long blue clips)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CW-072-M3-RE-Short-Worlds-Rear-Shock-Tower-3mm-RACERS-EDITION-/152250334346?hash=item2372d3bc8a:g:cNgAAOSwNRdX4twv

Battery strap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CW-019-Associated-RC-10-Lipo-Battery-Strap-CARBON-FIBER-GOLD-PAN-VINTAGE-/152226365775?hash=item237166014f:g:8FoAAOSwIgNXqePc

Trans brace
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CW-118-M3-RE-RC-10-Stealth-Transmission-Brace-GOLD-PAN-VINTAGE-Associated-/152250413892?hash=item2372d4f344:g:ei4AAOSwOyJX4vCQ

Update on mine!

Receiver is set to show up Saturday or so, and I got the body today! Haven't done anything yet, really brainstorming a paint job for it currently, and how I'm going to mount it - likely velcro long the sides

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Wow. :shock: :cry: :lol: Thanks for the detailed parts list Zach! Your'e the man! Have you had a chance to try out the Trackstar 17.5 system yet?

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

joey_zrl wrote:Wow. :shock: :cry: :lol: Thanks for the detailed parts list Zach! Your'e the man! Have you had a chance to try out the Trackstar 17.5 system yet?
Just in my house- I took it outside and almost lost the buggy in the pond across from my house cause it lost signal and took off on it's own..

I messed with setting already though, put it in blinky mode, and turned the punch down a little, which I might turn back up haha

I stayed up last night and got the TBG Stealth body trimmed, it doesn't fit real well, especially with the big bores.. I'll post pics tonight as I'll probably paint it in some retro fashion

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Wow bud, close call! Glad you saved it. You put a lot of work into it. I'd love to see the body after you paint it. I'm into airbrushing also. I just started a few years ago with an Iwata Eclipse. It's has a bottom feed on it, and I've noticed that it doesn't cover very proportionally. So I'm switching to a gravity fed first chance I get.

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

Well got the new receiver installed, and bound. turns out the antenna in my DX3 was broken, I proceeded to break it more when I took it apart. Soldered the antenna back on to board, and fired it up.. it's F'd only worked til about 40ft away and was VERY glitchy and would not bind well. Brakes also did not work.. luckily I got it for free.. might send it to Spektrum and see if they will refurb it for me..

I grabbed my DX2E and that bound right up and works great.. sad news.. it is half as fast as it should be and was faster 5 minutes before I bound the DX2.. Not sure what to do really. I reset the ESC, but I think I might have hurt the motor. Gearing is 30/76 so it should book pretty good. I'm 90% I could run faster than it is..

Going to let it cool down and try again in an hour or so..

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

Well bound the new receiver and found out it was the transmitter, broken antenna.. broke down and found a newer DX3C transmitter, so I can have up to 20 cars on 1 transmitter which I don't think the other DX3 could do so that will be AWESOME! So far going to have 3 RC10's and 2 Losi's on it haha with plans for 1 more RC10..

So ya ordered a 34t pinion for it as well to try to get more wheel speed out of it, was testing it on a dead battery but fully charged wasn't much difference.. also swapped to the 72t spur gear with a little gain.. tried to program the ESC to the DX2 and it wouldn't do it so I'm going to wait til the new transmitter shows up this week..

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

This thing is fixed and DONE! Weighed it up since done and came in at 1,498 grams full race weight with 3 1/4oz lead weights! HA! I'll post pics this weekend!

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Nice, I have read most of the thread on and off since you started it. I may have missed it, but is there a track you go to with it?

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

Diamond Dave wrote:Nice, I have read most of the thread on and off since you started it. I may have missed it, but is there a track you go to with it?
Yes 510 Raceway in Foley MN - Indoor dry clay