Fresh Worlds build and a few questions

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Fresh Worlds build and a few questions

Post by joey_zrl »

Hi all. Nice place you have here. I have just completed my RC10 World's buggy. The only thing that seemed to be a problem was the transmission. It is notchy when you try to turn it by hand. I had read about the trans problems on this forum before I bought it, so during the build I was anticipating it. It seems that my top shaft/spur clears the trans plate with no problem, but I think the idler gear may be out of round. I still need to email Associated and let them know what's going on with it.

I painted the body this past weekend, and applied some, but not all the decals. I went too low with the scissors on the wing, so I just left it clear and the decals went on it. I want a different wing on it anyway, so any suggestions on that would be great. I'm looking to run a 17.5 motor in this car. So far, Hobbywing and Reedy are my choices. Also, I want to get some closed cell foams, bearings for the steering rack, and some Lunsford Ti turnbuckles with upgraded ball cups. Not sure on the ball cups yet. I'm still researching that aspect.

Here are a few pictures of the car up to this point in the build.

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Re: Fresh Worlds build and a few questions

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I like the color combo with the paint. And that wing looks fine. It is custom.

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

I plan to run the Hobbywing Justock ESC, and a Trinity 17.5 24k motor in my Worlds.. my build thread is a couple below your on here..

Ball cups should be RPM 4-40 short style in the color of your choice - I have white on my mod class B4 and went with blue on my Worlds..

The wing looks ok I would replace it if the buggy doesn't handle good or get decent traction though.. I plan to run a J Concepts C4.2 wing on mine.. Along with a Team Blue Groove Stealth body

I am going all out in a sense - lots of titanium - screw kit(all of them), turnbuckles, hinge pins, and ball studs

Check out my build if you want some ideas to get the buggy on a diet. You'll need to - to be competitive in 17.5.. aluminum B4 top shaft(the worlds has a stock VTS B4 clutch), Avid Triad clutch, B4 big bores, carbon fiber, much more! Planning on ceramic bearings, and dif balls as well here if I can get some RC stuff sold..

EDIT - check with your local track for the 17.5 rules - they might have certain rules or specs you have to follow in order to run - The track I plan to run at follows ROAR rules but has a spec tire in 17.5 (JC Dirt Webs Gold), and has to be blinky (locked out timing in the ESC = no timing boost)

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

If your going to race, where they do tech the weight, be careful of over-indulging in light weight parts. A stock re-re worlds with shorty battery may be under weight to begin with.

Going super light weight isnt always the best. Sometimes, a little heft in the car helps it stay planted more. There are a few drivers around me who have gone back to full size batteries just to get some weight into the car.

For electronics, are you thinking budget minded or all out? I have had great luck with Trackstar/Turnigy speed controls and motors from HobbyKing. Some are ROAR approved as well. Definately budget priced too (search for the motor/speedo combos on their site).

For ball cups, I like the JConcepts ones (and RPM, not knocking them) they seem a little sleeker/thinner and are pretty good.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

JK Racing wrote:If your going to race, where they do tech the weight, be careful of over-indulging in light weight parts. A stock re-re worlds with shorty battery may be under weight to begin with.

Going super light weight isnt always the best. Sometimes, a little heft in the car helps it stay planted more. There are a few drivers around me who have gone back to full size batteries just to get some weight into the car.

For electronics, are you thinking budget minded or all out? I have had great luck with Trackstar/Turnigy speed controls and motors from HobbyKing. Some are ROAR approved as well. Definately budget priced too (search for the motor/speedo combos on their site).

For ball cups, I like the JConcepts ones (and RPM, not knocking them) they seem a little sleeker/thinner and are pretty good.
This is true.. but you can always add weight be it a battery or lead.. ROAR rules for 2wd buggy minimum weight is 1,499 grams

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

TRX-1-3 wrote:I like the color combo with the paint. And that wing looks fine. It is custom.

Mark

Thanks for the compliment Mark. My wife actually helped me to choose the colors. I racked my brain for a week about how I was going to do this, and she had a complete plan all laid out for me when I got home from work this past Friday, HAHA! I'll try the wing out, but most likely I will replace it with a B4 wing.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Zac_F71 wrote:I plan to run the Hobbywing Justock ESC, and a Trinity 17.5 24k motor in my Worlds.. my build thread is a couple below your on here..

Ball cups should be RPM 4-40 short style in the color of your choice - I have white on my mod class B4 and went with blue on my Worlds..

The wing looks ok I would replace it if the buggy doesn't handle good or get decent traction though.. I plan to run a J Concepts C4.2 wing on mine.. Along with a Team Blue Groove Stealth body

I am going all out in a sense - lots of titanium - screw kit(all of them), turnbuckles, hinge pins, and ball studs

Check out my build if you want some ideas to get the buggy on a diet. You'll need to - to be competitive in 17.5.. aluminum B4 top shaft(the worlds has a stock VTS B4 clutch), Avid Triad clutch, B4 big bores, carbon fiber, much more! Planning on ceramic bearings, and dif balls as well here if I can get some RC stuff sold..

EDIT - check with your local track for the 17.5 rules - they might have certain rules or specs you have to follow in order to run - The track I plan to run at follows ROAR rules but has a spec tire in 17.5 (JC Dirt Webs Gold), and has to be blinky (locked out timing in the ESC = no timing boost)
I'm actually looking at the Hobbywing Justock 17.5 combo, or an SMC esc with 17.5 motor. I saw that Stormer is having a sale on a few different 17.5 motors. It's funny that I've noticed after looking at 1/10 parts and electronics that there seems to be a wider variety of parts choices in the 1/10 side of things versus 1/8 and most other scales. The prices are more manageable also.

I checked out your build, and there is a lot of good info to put to use. I've been thinking about using a shorty pack in my buggy, so if I go that route, I have your thread saved for reference. Oh and thanks for the tips on upgrading parts for racing. I need to get this car set up right to be competitive. Do you know of any setups for fast hard packed blue-groove?

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

JK Racing wrote:If your going to race, where they do tech the weight, be careful of over-indulging in light weight parts. A stock re-re worlds with shorty battery may be under weight to begin with.

Good pointers on the weight JK. I have actually ran a 150A TrakStar esc and 6-Pole motor in a 1/8 buggy, and I have to say I was impressed with the quality of it. It was one of the most coolest running systems I've ever tried. I will take a peek at the JC ball cups. Thanks for the guidance.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

joey_zrl wrote:Do you know of any setups for fast hard packed blue-groove?
I see you posted on Facebook as well, I just posted a couple different set ups I run on my different cars on my 'race' page. Same username as here, along with 'our' real name, Joey :)

I can paste it up in here if you like.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Nice to meet you Joey! Yup, I'm following your thread on fb also, lol! I also have it saved on my desktop. :lol: Btw, how much do you know about the A&L trailing arm kits? Any drastic positive effects on handling? Just trying to learn all I can so I don't waste money on unnecessary stuff.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

A few pics from earlier today:

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

I'm honestly just starting out same as you.. no setups yet.. I bought the AE spring packs, and a couple different shock oils to try -

Here is what I have currently - Front - 27.5wt No.1 or 2 piston (not holes they are numbered- should have 3 holes) Brown spring
Rear - 30wt No.1 or 2 piston - Green spring

Of coarse I set these shocks up for a B4.1 worlds buggy that is a little heavier so I will probably have to play with it at my track which is dry red clay.. with a 17.5 class spec tire J Concepts Dirt Webs gold compound

Again I weighed it today with my heavy Novak combo, steel turnbuckles, ball studs, hinge pins, and screws and weighed 1,496 grams with a shorty 2S lipo/Savox 1252 shorty servo - 3 grams shy of ROARS weight limit

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

I never drove a car with the A&L arm kit. Love them, have owned a few, but never drove one, LOL.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Looking good, good color combo body/wheels :)

For setup, look for Ruffy's team car setup on this site. should get you pretty close :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Thanks again for the info guys. Zac_F71, the track I plan on going to is red clay. It has tight sections and a high speed straight. Not sure if they do vintage races yet. I haven't been there in a while. Hopefully I can at least go practice on the weekends to have some fun. Should be fun either way.