My RC10 World's Re-Re Pre-Build Q's

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: My RC10 World's Re-Re Pre-Build Q's

Post by RC10th »

howaboutme wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:04 pm Also, in one of your last points about keeping the tip tinned just before re-heating both bullet and wire, are you adding just a tad bit of solder to do this? I know you said don't add more then what is on the bullet and wire already but I assume I can add a bit just to keep the tip tinned?
Correct, you don't want to add any more solder to the joint. You just want to keep the tip wet (tinned) with solder.

Tinning the tip creates a solder bridge which aids in the transfer of heat into the parts causing them to melt together. If you just wiped the tip clean and then tried to solder without tinning the tip would likely just sit on the parts and do nothing.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Right the liquid solder provides a really good heat connection and the adding a dab also adds more flux.

I'm going to disagree with what has been said here in that the connection looks workable but you actually need to add solder. Is the connector hollow inside or are you placing the wire at 90 degrees? From the picture it looks like it's just placed 90 degrees, and there isn't a nice solder fillet.

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

jwscab wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 pm Right the liquid solder provides a really good heat connection and the adding a dab also adds more flux.

I'm going to disagree with what has been said here in that the connection looks workable but you actually need to add solder. Is the connector hollow inside or are you placing the wire at 90 degrees? From the picture it looks like it's just placed 90 degrees, and there isn't a nice solder fillet.
It's a solid flat top (see link a few posts prior to Amain site for the actual bullet). It has an indentation where you place the wire at 90 degrees. What is a nice solder fillet?

Thanks.
- Jack

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Fillet would be that the solder covers up the 'shape' of the wire so it looks like it 'melts' into the solder connection. If you look at the wire as a cylinder resting on a desk, it would be where you would put a wedge or doorstop to keep it from rolling off on both sides.

Also the vise isn't helping by drawing heat away from your work. If you have a scrap piece of wood you can drill a hole in and set the bullet in, that would be really helpful. Make the hole so the bullet fits snug and it will be your third hand.

Process is always grab iron, clean tip, add solder to tip, while smoking get to work. When done, wipe tip or tap off excess and replace iron on stand. Rinse lather repeat.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Also, just to let you know.....You are getting it. What you are trying to do is not always easy, especially if this is your first work. Heavy wires and lots of heat is not beginner class.

Shady Rascal
Approved Member

Post by Shady Rascal »

howaboutme wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 pm Alright guys. First, thanks for your little tid bits. I re-soldered the 1 bullet tonight. There were some solder left over on the bullet but I felt it was not enough so I added a bit more. Then I made sure I tinned all the way around the wire (which still had solder leftover). One thing that I also did that I have not done so far is to "wet" the tip. I also upped the temp to about 750. Even though this was only 1 connection, I felt all of it made this a bit easier. Once I placed the solder on top of the connection, the solder melted very quickly, I pressed the wire down further then let go. Subsequently, I did "clean up" a bit by running some solder around the edges to complete the connection. We'll see how it goes:

Not pretty, I know. I'll work on that later. I also want to get thicker heatshrink that will fit over the bullet head. Will take a trip to Harbor Freight this weekend...

Thanks.
That vice is acting as a fantastic heat sink to pull heat out of your connector. Years ago an old man taught me to use wood when soldering to insulate the heat. Something as simple as a paint stir stick works great.

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Guys! Thanks very much! I never would have guessed the vise being an issue too. I've seen people use vises all the time. What's the difference? Is it only for bullets? I do have another helping hand but it's so top heavy and hard to get any leverage. I will get rid of the vise. Will it help if I put another helping hand on the vise for support? Will an extra contraption help to not take away heat?

My days are getting away from me so probably wont' get to this until the weekend.

Thanks!
- Jack

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I use a small hobby vise without any issues. Many of the helping hand bullet holders are aluminum anyways.

I dont think it's an issue as long as you can get enough heat into the plug. If you were soldering for NASA it might be a different story.

Good job so far, you'll be soldering like a pro in no time :D

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Like I mentioned above use a piece of wood and drill a hole in it to hold the bullet.

Shady Rascal
Approved Member

Post by Shady Rascal »

Look at the vise deal like this. The object here is to get it and heat quick and get out. The vice aggravates that because it tends to pull heat away from the bullet. If your iron is hot enough to compensate for that you'll get good results. The point is, if you were to take something like a paint stir stick and snap it in half to use in the vise jaws to insulate the bullet, your heat will remain only in the bullet and the project will heat up quicker. Or like the other fellow talked about, drill a hole in some wood to hold the bullet.

Your goal here is to learn to solder right ? I'm trying to put a nugget into your mind that you always need to beware of the pathways that conduct your heat. Nothing is absolute, but the principles are valuable.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Shady Rascal wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 am Look at the vise deal like this. The object here is to get it and heat quick and get out. The vice aggravates that because it tends to pull heat away from the bullet. If your iron is hot enough to compensate for that you'll get good results. The point is, if you were to take something like a paint stir stick and snap it in half to use in the vise jaws to insulate the bullet, your heat will remain only in the bullet and the project will heat up quicker. Or like the other fellow talked about, drill a hole in some wood to hold the bullet.

Your goal here is to learn to solder right ? I'm trying to put a nugget into your mind that you always need to beware of the pathways that conduct your heat. Nothing is absolute, but the principles are valuable.
Agreed! That vice ain't nothing but a big ol' heatsink!
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Alright guys...I made another attempt and I think I'm getting close. At least close enough where this connection may be good enough to move on w/ my progress. I really paid attention to all of what you've all said, what to pay attention to, each individual steps and made some technique adjustments such as you see the wood. I can tell you, this time just felt better. It's even hard to describe but everything was hotter because I'm using the wood. I tinned the tip before EVERY attempt to touch the iron with any of the materials. I kept the tip clean and when I made each connection, the wire melted down just as it should and as I've seen on many Youtube videos. The actual connection still doesn't look too pretty but it sure does look better then before!

What do you guys think?

I want to say that I'll wait for your opinions but I got a nice cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight today and can't wait to put the heat shrink over it! :D
- Jack

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Looks good for a first time solderer.

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Thanks! Appreciate your kind words.

I actually had to go back after I took that picture to add some solder on the black wire because I realized a very small amount of wire was exposed at the back. Of course, that made the connection look a bit worse but glad I caught it nonetheless.
- Jack

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Looks pretty good. That joint won't come apart.

Another tip to try - Next time you strip the insulation off the wire twist the bare strands with your fingers before tinning the wire. This will give you a tighter joint and prevents the ends from fraying.