OUTLAWD's Re-Re WC Build

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Re: OUTLAWD's Re-Re WC Build

Post by OUTLAWD »

Associated 91433; B5 body mount.

I am using velcro up front, and I see alot of people using velcro on the sides and back as well, but the viper body doesn't hug the side of the pan very tight, so it looked distorted if I squeezed the sides in to use velcro.

The rear body mount on a B5 uses 1 bolt, and my rear shock tower already had one centered hole.
Attachments
IMG_1811.JPG
RC10 WC re-re / SC10.2 / RC10 CE / 2x RC10GT-E / Futaba FX10

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Small update some new hardware.

Slid the shorty back and mounted the ESC in front. Further hacked the B4 holdown to work, and used aluminum standoffs in pre-existing holes.

The wiring could be a little more tidy, but I am happy with it for the first can I've built from the ground up since I was 10...haha

Next steps, verify the gearing is good, and hit the track! The current layour has some enormous jumps, so I'll maybe take it easy...
Attachments
IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1845.JPG

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Looks great! Let us know how the Castle combo works. That's their first foray into sensored, right?
- Jack

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Had it out to the local track yesterday for the first time. It's a fairly tight track so I didn't open it up too much. The thing handled pretty good out of the box with "Kinwald's" setup. I was instantly more comfortable with it than my 2WD SC10. It was jumping a bit nose up, and I see most people run weight in the nose. I'll have to add some. Other than that, I need to learn how to drive. It was my first time driving this track layout, so I was taking it easy. And I have only had my SC10 on a proper track a handful of times...so I am still new to this.

There was a guy with a modern buggy turning A-main front runner lap times as I heard the timing system call out his laptimes. I was able to stay with him for a section at a time, but I couldn't piece together a clean lap. There were a couple other guys with Slashs and one with a RTR RC8.2e, but I was faster than when I could keep the shiny side up.

Got some decent track time in, popped an RPM ball end off a few times, then hit the "big jump" incorrectly landed with some cartwheeling action. A snapped shock shaft ended my session, but luckily they had a spare on the wall, only covered with a fair bit of dust.

All in all I had a good time, and didn't hurt too much hardware. The car is very capable and had very good grip to clear the gaps little to no "run" at them, even though I am running the "wrong" tires. Some added weight up front should help steering...the only other thing I need is a driver mod...

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

That's great to hear! I have heard elsewhere that the RC10 World's Re-re can hold it's own. It all depends on driving.

I can't wait to take mine out! More updates please on your track outings.
- Jack

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

The snapped shock shaft has me a bit confused...I'm no metallurgist, but the fracture looks like the shaft was made from powdered metal, and it broke right at the threads. The landing wasn't THAT hard, and I might expect a steel shaft to bend, but not break. I think I saw a similar complaint with recently produced topshafts...

Oh well, I have sourced some NIP "unobtanium" ones

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Nice results! Shock shafts are pretty hard, and the weakest point is at the end of the threads. It's very common for a fastener to fail there.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

jwscab wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:14 pm Nice results! Shock shafts are pretty hard, and the weakest point is at the end of the threads. It's very common for a fastener to fail there.
Yep, if you need some I can give up some of my 20+ broken/snapped shock shafts that look exactly like yours to make a complete set for you :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Even Traxxas shafts break there.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Fixed the shock, added some weight in the nose, and made a couple ESC changes. A test drive in the street revealed that this thing is ridiculous. Rolling into it at 15-20mph rust resulted in pulling wheelies...

Made it back out to the track yesterday for a practice session. A new configuration, and it was a little crowded. I was apprehensive because this was only my 4th time to a proper track with a RC, so I'm the definition of a newb.

Track had a nice flow to it, a couple sizable gaps, a triple and a fast front/side/backstraight. I took a couple easy laps just feeling out the new layout, trying to pay attention to the lines of the other drivers. They must have just hosed down the surface, as it was wet and slick in some corners. There were a couple SC trucks, a couple 1/8 buggies, and a few modern 2WD buggies. It seemed everyone was treating the triple as a double and a single, but I kept mis-calculating and driving into the face of the third jump, so I went for the triple, smooth as glass, the nose still comes up, but I am getting better at modulating the throttle and changing pitch in the air...I am really able to get a good drive up to the jumps even with a relatively short run. Straight line traction is great, it will lift the wheels on the straights without even leaning on it.

I am still struggling with carrying corner speed. Especially at the end of the straights. Steering is responsive, and the front would hold but the rear would start to drift then just come around about mid corner once I had already set my entry speed. I think I am being smooth, but it's hard to get a "feel" via remote. Doing a bit of reading indicates I may want to try a heavier front spring, I currently have Gray 3.45 springs up front and White 2.10 in the rear with 30wt all around.

There were no "good" drivers there to compare myself to, but I was fairly quick in the inside of the track, but just couldn't get around the high speed turns. Are there any good references regarding driving technique? The car seems pretty sorted, so I am assuming that I am the lacking part of the equation...

Anyway...my night ended when I tried to avoid someone leading up to the triple, and ended up launching crooked into the tubes...Only a broken shock shaft and a tweaked turnbuckle. :lol: