New Worlds Build and Racer

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lmw94002
Approved Member

Re: New Worlds Build and Racer

Post by lmw94002 »

RC10th wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am How is the car traction rolling? Is it rolling over on the front causing it to tip over? Picking up the inside rear tire?

More droop/roll we found actually sometimes reduces the tendency to traction roll. I think the reason is the car rolls beyond the point of traction and actually starts reducing grip.

Those tires may be the hot ticket for the modern buggies but not ideally suited to your car. I think with modern rubber and high grip tracks the RC10 could do with another outside shock hole on the front arms.

As mentioned earlier reducing rear toe will free the back of the car up, also increasing the antisquat will help the car rotate better on power and under brakes/drag brake.

Taking weight off the rear by moving weight forward will help with rotation, incresing the wheel base also does a similar thing.

It's all a balancing act.
That's one thing I've never messed with ... anti-squat... how do you tweak that on the Worlds?
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I've never messed with it personally on a worlds car but if I did I would try a 12L/10L castor shim.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

RC10th wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 am I've never messed with it personally on a worlds car but if I did I would try a 12L/10L castor shim.
Wow... haha... talk about using some old school tech there. :D
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

lmw94002 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:11 am
RC10th wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 am I've never messed with it personally on a worlds car but if I did I would try a 12L/10L castor shim.
Wow... haha... talk about using some old school tech there. :D
It's a high tech solution :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i wouldn't mess with anti-squat. Try less rear toe, shift weight forward(if possible) and add a small nose weight. you can adjust toe with the rear arm mounts or the hub carrier. the other thing is to try the stiffer spring and the lower ride height, and possibly bump up the rear shock oil to 32-35 maybe to see how it reacts.

One item at a time though.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Ok, seeing as I get to the track for a few hours every couple hours all of the above should be lots to play with. I am running a shorty Lipo as far forward as I can get it so not much to do there.

I think I will try rear toe next. It's something I can see easily. What are the part #'s for 0 toe and 1.5?

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

WOWSER, thats alot of track time :mrgreen:

I wish I could get to the track for a few hours every couple hours :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

klavy69 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:11 pm WOWSER, thats alot of track time :mrgreen:

Todd
You can !!!

You'll just end up broke living out of your car after a while :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

worse is the track/hobby shop will get tired of asking you to leave :lol: :lol: :lol:

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

RCveteran wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:27 am Ok, seeing as I get to the track for a few hours every couple hours all of the above should be lots to play with. I am running a shorty Lipo as far forward as I can get it so not much to do there.

I think I will try rear toe next. It's something I can see easily. What are the part #'s for 0 toe and 1.5?
Sounds like a retirement plan to me... setup the RV next to the track.
--
--Builds--

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

RC10th wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:47 pm
klavy69 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:11 pm WOWSER, thats alot of track time :mrgreen:

Todd
You can !!!

You'll just end up broke living out of your car after a while :lol:
There's a guy on youtube Jake who lives in his Jeep, secretly while I sit here plugging away at the computer daily I want to be him. And yes at the track every few hours as well :D I have the Jeep, I am almost there.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I officially have this car within .5 second lap times of A main hot shoes when I can turn a clean lap. At the end of the day, low ride height, big toe out in front, and finally effectively almost locking rear diff and slipper gave me the rear rotation I needed. There is just so much traction on carpet I was fiddling trying to get the car a bit looser. I am calling it pretty well sorted at this point. And I am talking hot shoes of the club racing level to be clear, where I think these vintage buggies can still hang fine.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Tried out a clay track today. First time I've been on clay in a long time and I remember how finnicky it is. When the traction was right it's great but constantly changing. Started out wet from watering night before, a couple hours into morning there was a sweet spot. I was using no sauce and it was perfect, just enough grip to allow some slide but not too much. Then it started to dry out and it was getting slippery but I had to head home.

Managed a few batteries worth of running on an empty track with one other guy who had a new 22 4.0. Speed wise I was fine but that thing is just so dialed in turns. Mid engine is tough to hang with, I feel like it hurt our chances a bit with these vintage rigs. That said the car was doing really well. When I could be consistent we were battling, had his car been in the hands of top guy no way though.

My set up change from turf was to use the tires the track recommended. I was there like 5 years ago and said I used Barcodes, he said, "no one uses those anymore". The ones he gave me look so similar I find it hard to believe there is a huge difference but who knows. I know the clay racers travel with a suitcase of tires it seems.

Blue stiffer rear springs to try and get more front bite. Seemed to help when I went from the silver to blue springs in back. Managed to finally break rear hub. And I am going to switch axle on CVA to ASC9911 for the extra 2mm in length. I found a thread here about it. I did manage to pop the axle twice! Oddly it had never done it once on the turf, but this track had bigger air which I think was the real culprit, much harder landings.

Clay set up.jpg
tires.jpg
Attachments
Clay set up.jpg

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

I'm about 20 min from Windy City. I'm not really a turf guy, but I would be interested in checking it out one day when I have a few projects sorted out. What clay track did you run on?

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

TIme Warp up in Lake in the Hills. I'll be at WIndy City tomorrow and get there a couple times a month. The turf is tough, it's a small track and the new mid engine guys dominate but you can still have fun. I like turf a lot. There is so muh traction you don't spend all your time fighting traction and can focus on other set up items. Though I do fight traction roll due to so much traction. I am getting a B6 shortly to race there. That should make up for my lack of skills :lol: