Yet another World's build...

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

FWLBP

Yet another World's build...

Post by FWLBP »

Hi all, been slowly getting back into the hobby over the last several years. Used to be into RC boating back in 80's as a kid. Grew up on a lake and had a nitro Kyosho Jet Stream. My cousin had a hornet and his friends had a Frog. Another had a RC10. Many good memories of those days. Anyhow, I got back into things with a brushless boat several years ago, then while perusing the local hobby store I heard that there is a outdoor off road track nearby. This segway me into running in the spec slash class. For the past year I was contemplating both getting a vintage buggy like a frog for memories or getting a B6D for running on the track. Well, I ended up killing two birds with one stone. Saw these worlds on sale at amain for $140 back in January and had to have it. Its a lot of car for the money and takes care of my itch for vintage & racing. The build went well, no issues with top shaft, gearbox slightly tight but opened up after a gentle drive on the street. Planning on running occasionally in stock class at the track. Ironically, this is kind of a budget racer when back in the day it was anything but that!

Upgrades/equipment: RC carbon works shock towers, bell crank bearings, trackstar 17.5 combo. For track I'm running jconcepts groovy's front, goosebumps rear. For street running proline dirt hawgs. Also, broke a ball cup just running in the driveway doing small jumps, so have RPM ballcups on order along with lundsford titanium turnbuckles (because why not).

Here's the livery I use, nothing special compared to others on here, not a good painter but i'm working on it:

Incase you like the livery, here's what it looks like in SCT form:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Yet another World's build...

Post by klavy69 »

welcome to the board.

Theres no shame in your painting skills. Looks good. Sometimes simple is better than all that glam and glitz that just clutters up the mind when looking at it. Congrats on eeking through without any real topshaft issues. From what I've been reading it seems to be a rarity. I've got 3 sitting here myself that will pry give me nothing but issues but won't get around to it til after AE won't stand by their fix anymore :roll: .\

Keep us posted on how you do with your locals 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Looks great! I'll have my freshly built World's car on track tomorrow for the first time. Just a practice day. I built it per instructions and the silver springs seem a bit soft to me front and back so I am armed with more colors.

I think in stock class you can clean house with that thing! Although stock is often harder than modified I think sometimes. Good luck.

FWLBP

Post by FWLBP »

Thanks guys! Yes, I feel lucky I dodge any issues, but in the end I like this car so much I knowingly took on the risk of a issue. RCVeteran, I just read your build thread, nice buggy! I look forward to hearing how you do practicing. I pre-emptively used kinwald's suspension settings found on the posted setup sheet on AE's site. I'll use that at a starting point and go from there. I honestly think I have a shot at my local track. Generally, the winners at this track are the ones that drove the cleanest race (IE no crashing!). Also, this is a true out door dirt track that typically has some loose dirt in most places. I suspect this old vintage rear motor racer will do well in this environment. :D

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Cool a real outdoor track is indeed a great equalizer. Watch the youtube videos of the 1987 and 1989 IFMAR worlds. No matter how good you were there were sections of those tracks that would mess you up and keep the pack closer compared to today's over manicured clay or carpet action.

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

I love the paint... a crisp simple job with great colors.

That's why I love offroad racing. You don't have to drive the fastest lap, just the most consistent one and you'll do well.
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

FWLBP

Post by FWLBP »

Thanks, I agree simpler paint jobs are less distracting. I don't like overly elaborate paint jobs on racers. I like having something that tells me orientation very well. I just watched the '87 IFMAR championship, that was one loose track. Our track isn't as bad as that. It's typically hard packed and smooth with a layer of loose dirt, typically in corners where the tires chew up the track. I'm looking forward to it. Its been raining for 2 weeks straight here, so no chance to go out and play. Hoping within next few weeks they get the track set up and dried out.