My restored Optima collection...

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

turbowop

My restored Optima collection...

Post by turbowop »

I posted these on the Tamiya Club over the past several weeks, but after finding this site recently I figured I'd share here as well. All three cars were torn down, cleaned up, and refurbished. I placed a few new parts here and there and all three got new repro Marwan bodies that I painted/decal'd. I'm also working on an Outlaw Ultima project and a Team Losi JrT as I had one of each as a kid. I wish Marwan made a repro body for the Outlaw Ultima truck as the one I have is pretty beat up.

Belt converted, fully ball raced, standard Optima setup with a Novak T-4, an old Circus Hobbies JR radio system and a LeMans 360PT. Although not in the pic, I have an unused original Kyosho 7.2v battery going in it. I need to rewire the motor wiring to 16g as the 12g looks a bit funny. It was all I had at the time. I have some wire coming and will get it changed this week probably...

A Turbo Optima. I haven't installed the electrics yet, but it will have a period correct Novak ESC, the original 240s motor and a Futaba radio as well as an original Kyosho 8.4v battery...

And an Optima Mid. Don't have a radio or ESC for this one yet but it will use the stock 240st motor...

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Re: My restored Optima collection...

Post by Prince Steve »

Beautiful models!!
You did a great job. Very impessive.
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

jaycal

Post by jaycal »

nice job, you gonna run them or are they going on a shelf?

turbowop

Post by turbowop »

I'll probably lightly run them. They aren't perfect, so it would be a shame not to. If I want to thrash something I have a 10yr old Traxxas T-Maxx and Slash 4x4. :D

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

WOW beautiful cars somthing to be proud of for sure. :mrgreen:
Ryan

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

awesome cars... hope ya run them and enjoy them.. i always plan to run cars i buy, and never end up doing it lol.. even if i buy a car for $50 that is ready to go, i always hate messing it up more lol.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Who doesn't love an Optima. For me the original car still looks the best in box art paint scheme.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

turbowop

Post by turbowop »

Thanks. And agreed on the original Optima. I even love the way the old red shocks look against the box art colors so much that I refuse to replace them with gold shocks. :lol:

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

If you are going to run the mid, I will exchange my used tires for those. :)
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

turbowop

Post by turbowop »

I won't be running those tires. I have an extra set of mid wheels with some Tamiya tires for running. I also have some OT-66 in pretty bad shape I could use for running. My best set isn't even mounted on any of my cars. And somehow, I ended up with three others in really good shape, but it needs a fourth to complete the set. It's hard finding just one that's in similar good shape.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

turbowop wrote:Thanks. And agreed on the original Optima. I even love the way the old red shocks look against the box art colors so much that I refuse to replace them with gold shocks. :lol:
Great restorations you have there! I totally agree about the original box-art colour scheme - it looks fantastic - and the red shocks go well with it. I've thought about replacing them with the Platinum shocks (and polishing these up to a mirror finish) and using the chrome plated original style rims. Think that would look pretty impressive too for a hopped-up Optima.

Does anyone know if the platinum front and rear shocks will fit the original Opima?

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

CNA75 wrote:
turbowop wrote:Thanks. And agreed on the original Optima. I even love the way the old red shocks look against the box art colors so much that I refuse to replace them with gold shocks. :lol:
Great restorations you have there! I totally agree about the original box-art colour scheme - it looks fantastic - and the red shocks go well with it. I've thought about replacing them with the Platinum shocks (and polishing these up to a mirror finish) and using the chrome plated original style rims. Think that would look pretty impressive too for a hopped-up Optima.

Does anyone know if the platinum front and rear shocks will fit the original Opima?
Platinium shocks are exactly same length as the gold shocks are, so they are too long for original Optima shock towers.

Jirka

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Jirka wrote:Platinium shocks are exactly same length as the gold shocks are, so they are too long for original Optima shock towers.

Jirka
Thanks. But weren't the gold shocks a hop-up for the original Optima? Or was that the case only if you uprated the shock towers too (if that's a possible fit)?

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

CNA75 wrote:
Jirka wrote:Platinium shocks are exactly same length as the gold shocks are, so they are too long for original Optima shock towers.

Jirka
Thanks. But weren't the gold shocks a hop-up for the original Optima? Or was that the case only if you uprated the shock towers too (if that's a possible fit)?
You have to change the shock tower too if You want to use the gold or platinium shocks. See Kyosho Optima Pro http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img14549_13012007211357_1.jpg, that came with short red shocks but with "high" shock towers.

Jirka

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Jirka wrote: You have to change the shock tower too if You want to use the gold or platinium shocks. See Kyosho Optima Pro http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img14549_13012007211357_1.jpg, that came with short red shocks but with "high" shock towers.

Jirka
Can you tell me what part numbers those higher front and rear shock towers are and do you know where they may be readily available? (e.g. here? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/kyosho-turbo-optima-alloy-front-rear-damper-stay_W0QQitemZ130359380862QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item1e5a064b7e )