Corally SP12 restoration (Highwayracer)

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

highwayracer
Approved Member

Corally SP12 restoration (Highwayracer)

Post by highwayracer »

I use to race an SP12 in the early 90s...and my biggest regret was getting rid of them (3-4 cars). At the time, I had no use for a 12 scale and I wanted to get into touring cars. I traded them for a yr4 and an express (the one with the black anodized parts).

Ater a few years of searching, I finally picked up a Corally SP12 on the bay and I'm really excited about this one. Overall, the car's in really good shape. It has the normal signs of wear...but it doesn't appear to have been abused. The dampner bladers have to be replaced...which I think will be the biggest challenge.

Here's are some pictures from the auction:
Corally SP12 a.jpg
Corally SP12 b.jpg
Corally SP12 c.jpg
Based on these pictures, I may need to turn down the tires...or get new foams. I'll also need the dampner bladers and some misc hardware.

Roger

CAT3K
Approved Member

Re: Corally SP12 restoration (Highwayracer)

Post by CAT3K »

Got to love the SP12 :) The pre-mounted tyres are still available new if you decide you need them, and the damper boots are available from Corally although they might be slightly different style. I think every Corally car i've had arrived with perished damper boots :|

Paul.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Nice find. :D
More pictures of SP12 build could be found on my SP12 project http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24391&hilit=+SP12
A few parts still were missing also I had some other projects running, so this car was not 100% finished. But some parts have arrived now so the final pictures will be posted soon at that thread and at Classic RC website.

During building of my SP12 I found the rubber parts of the damper had been used until the SP12M so should be still available.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

CAT3K wrote:Got to love the SP12 :) The pre-mounted tyres are still available new if you decide you need them, and the damper boots are available from Corally although they might be slightly different style. I think every Corally car i've had arrived with perished damper boots :|

Paul.
Thanks for the info Paul. I found some on the corally site. http://corally.com/anubizz/corally.nsf/vwProducten/C1256F4D004B62D6C12570280024ABE0?OpenDocument&Taal=2&FSName=Corally

They do look a little bit different, but it looks pretty close.

Regards,
Roger

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

V12 wrote:Nice find. :D
More pictures of SP12 build could be found on my SP12 project http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24391&hilit=+SP12
A few parts still were missing also I had some other projects running, so this car was not 100% finished. But some parts have arrived now so the final pictures will be posted soon at that thread and at Classic RC website.

During building of my SP12 I found the rubber parts of the damper had been used until the SP12M so should be still available.
It was actually your project that inspired me to begin searching again. I did notice on your first picture that you had 2 of the lower graphite plates. I beleive one was for the SP12 and the other was for the SPII. On the car I purchased, it looks like mine comes with an aluminum version...which I never knew existed.

Ironically, the only corally part that I kept was a graphite lower plate. I used it on a now abandoned Road Wizard project. I'm glad I didn't modify that part since it will be going back on this car. Must have been fate :D
road wizard.jpg
Regards,
Roger

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

highwayracer wrote:
V12 wrote:Nice find. :D

It was actually your project that inspired me to begin searching again. I did notice on your first picture that you had 2 of the lower graphite plates. I beleive one was for the SP12 and the other was for the SPII. On the car I purchased, it looks like mine comes with an aluminum version...which I never knew existed.

Ironically, the only corally part that I kept was a graphite lower plate. I used it on a now abandoned Road Wizard project. I'm glad I didn't modify that part since it will be going back on this car. Must have been fate :D

Regards,
Roger
So it´s good you found a SP12 again. :)
Regarding the lower plates it is a little difficult. After some research I found out the Coral (aluminium) version was from factory with the SP12, the graphite version was option part. Maybe from SPII. This is according to a quite unknown manual.

Regarding the rubber parts, maybe there was a slightly running change in production but from my knowledge part# is the same from PK to SP12M part, beside the change from 4digit to 5digit numbers.

Regarding early Corally cars, meanwhile I found also a PK and a SPII. But both in very used condition with some parts missing so this will be a restoring project for some longer time again.

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Here you have a really nice site , with amazing 1/12 Corally prototype and car:

http://corally12.nl/Eng/indexeng.htm

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

Pierre,

Thanks for posting that link. I had the SPII and the SP12 but I've never seen the other versions.

Regards,
Roger

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I received the car the other day and it’s exactly in the condition that I was expecting. It’s a little dusty and a little dry rotted, but it’s an excellent candidate for a restoration
corally SP12 1.jpg
corally SP12 3.jpg
corally SP12 4.jpg
corally SP12 5.jpg
corally SP12 7.jpg
corally SP12 8.jpg
Regards,
Roger

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

The chassis has some minor scratches but it wasn’t abused. Looks like a quick run on cement, but not bad at all. I’ve been thinking about polishing the scratches out, but I was concerned about the finish on the final product. After a couple of days, I made the decision to refinish the bottom of the chassis. I sanded the anodizing off using my random orbital sander and then polished the surface. I don’t like the chrome finish, so I dulled it a bit. It’s still very reflective, but more subtle.
corally SP12 2.jpg
corally SP12 10.jpg
corally SP12 9.jpg
I’ll be cutting the front beam to give it more of an independent suspension (this is what I did with my original SP12. And no...I won't be using an exacto to make the cut :lol:
corally SP12 12.jpg
I was going to replace the lower chassis with a graphite version (left from my original car), but it looks like it was for an SPII vs. the SP12 (I had 2 of each). I’ll keep my eyes open in case one appears on ebay.
corally SP12 11.jpg
Regards,
Roger

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

Last night, I polished up the aluminum parts (suspension mounts and radio plate stand offs). I also cut the front suspension giving the arms independent movement. The car's coming together pretty nicely. I mounted the rear suspension, but I still need to order the suspension bladers.
Corally SP 12 d.jpg
Corally SP 12 e.jpg