Lazer ZX-R resto project

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

isobarik
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX-R resto project

Post by isobarik »

feels like da graphite ........

the uppdeck hpi since i have one my self and still have the header and there is on at ebay at the moment ....

the lower deck feels like ....if hpi make an aftermarket chassi yeah why go with an optima mid chassi setup for lazer and a different material...doesnt feel right ..

and if i dont remember wrong the hpi lower deck was jus more sleek ...slim ...

some one on this board has one if i dont remember wrong crusadrelyf.....

still awsome find ......

mvh isobarik

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

[quote="isobarik"]feels like da graphite ........

the uppdeck hpi since i have one my self and still have the header and there is on at ebay at the moment ....

the lower deck feels like ....if hpi make an aftermarket chassi yeah why go with an optima mid chassi setup for lazer and a different material...doesnt feel right ../quote]

I don't know from when this chassis is, but HPI did make graphite versions of carbon and FRP chassis for some cars - they have the same design, different material.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Im thinking to just develope the stock chassis with additional cut outs.

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:
isobarik wrote:feels like da graphite ........

the lower deck feels like ....if hpi make an aftermarket chassi yeah why go with an optima mid chassi setup for lazer and a different material...doesnt feel right ../quote]

I don't know from when this chassis is, but HPI did make graphite versions of carbon and FRP chassis for some cars - they have the same design, different material.
yeah they shure did but the chassi on this car is not youre typicall lazer chassi its actually an optima LWB mid chassi made for kyosho lazer
so the chassi is not copied of any kyosho lazer since they never came with an chassi that had that layout so its been made by some one that wanted to mount the optima mid lwb body to the lazer since the lazer zx body was not that popular amongst racers.

mvh isobarik

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

Yes the upper deck is HPI production I have one. but the chassis like after market prodution, at that time some small company also released the DA graphite, the chassis looks very good design I think it may be grey graphite.
HPI kyosho lazer zx zxr mk1 carbon fiber upper deck 01.JPG

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

What are the chances that a LWB optima mid chassis would work perfectly with lazer type gear boxes and belt length? Is it possible the manufacturer made this lazer chassis to mimic the optima mid custom special? Or, is it really an optima mid chassis???

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

nah its an mimic.....there are no extra holes for the gearboxes since they have not the same boltpattern

but otherwise the lenght and steering holes i think are exactly the same ...

the thing is that the lwb midoptima body will fit perfect since the optima lwb chassi are sleeker then the lazer chassi making the body sit perfect the bodie of the lwb fit the standard lazer chassi to but not perfect look at the front just behind the front gearbox and you know what i meen.

mvh isobarik

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Yes it becomes apparent. On front end of this chassis, the rearward hing pin holder is exposed on the long skinny nose. On a stock zx r chassis, the hinge pin holder is protected by the chassis plate. I wonder if an HPI lwb opt mid chassis would be identical except for holes to mount gear boxes? Perhaps they designed the lwb mid chassis, and then merely modified it for use as a lazer chassis.

Should be a really interesting restoration build. Awsome parts!

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

You probably already know, Its the same as Mike Dunns worlds car, chassis was made by Kyosho and incredibly rare.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Aaaaaaannnnnddd like an idiot, I sold this one off a few years ago, along with my Lazer ZXR runner and all of the spares. I tried contacting the guy I sold the runner to, to see if he was interested in selling it back to me. He sold all of the spares and has the car on his shelf. Good for him, but damn that was a lot of good parts, including some center pulleys which are apparently quite hard to find... :(

I've been rebuilding my vintage Kyosho collection over the past year or so. Some Triumphs, Lazers, Pro-Xs, Rampage Pros, Inferno 10s, etc. Plenty of projects to work on there. I have a ZX-RR that needs some good loving, so hopefully one day I'll have time to turn that into a nice runner and the vintage gods will forgive me of my sin.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Mate, been there, sold my team car with proto tub chassis as i was in a tricky situation but luckily managed to buy the car back but not the spares of which some items are not replaceable and it hurts but managed to build on that and now all including you can buy repro bits from fibrelyte, Kamtec and other bits form shapeways so aim to keep it going. Keep this post going and update on your progress, when you get into it again, be nice to see.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Oh when you do that chassis will be available again at Fibrelyte, will take time to draw but it will.

Sponser links below

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

stickboy007 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:15 am Aaaaaaannnnnddd like an idiot, I sold this one off a few years ago, along with my Lazer ZXR runner and all of the spares. I tried contacting the guy I sold the runner to, to see if he was interested in selling it back to me. He sold all of the spares and has the car on his shelf. Good for him, but damn that was a lot of good parts, including some center pulleys which are apparently quite hard to find... :(

I've been rebuilding my vintage Kyosho collection over the past year or so. Some Triumphs, Lazers, Pro-Xs, Rampage Pros, Inferno 10s, etc. Plenty of projects to work on there. I have a ZX-RR that needs some good loving, so hopefully one day I'll have time to turn that into a nice runner and the vintage gods will forgive me of my sin.
why why why why why why why why why

mvh iso

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

At the time, I felt like I had too many runners and that I would not realistically have a chance to use the ZXR that much. I was much happier with how my YZ10s and CAT 2000 drove, and so I figured I should just offload the ZXR and focus my efforts on the cars that were better for me. I really wanted to put more time into the ZXR, but I found it hard to justify in light of the other cars in my collection. I felt the same way when I sold my Avante 2011 runner, and ended up regretting that decision as well. Oh well. Lesson learned. I have some good Kyosho projects in the pipeline...