lazer zx / zxr differences

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Re: lazer zx / zxr differences

Post by HKS_TRD »

Regarding the front hubs from what I understood the ZX-R had the same hubs as the ZX and it was the MKII and RR which had the hub with the second hole and came with the w-5063 universals which were longer

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Yes, the ZX-R shared the ZX suspension geometry, with the same single hole C hub and the unique extra long ball joint to reach the outer upper linkage mounting point. Uprights used were LA-27 and driveshafts were W-5061.

The ZX-R Mk2 and ZX-RR had longer front driveshafts, a second hole in the C hubs to give more caster as well as move the hubs out, and the front upper link mounted on top of the new kingpin. The new C hubs were LA-59, and longer driveshafts are W-5063. The Mk2 chassis is LA-60, which shows the front hub change was for the Mk2 and not used on the Mk1.

The rear suspension also changed on the Mk2 with new upper link mounting points on a moulding that was screwed onto the rear uprights. There extra parts were just added to the rear hubs with no part number change.

If parts were altered but compatible with the older design, Kyosho kept the same part number. The Mk2 shock mounts were changed from the Mk1, but as they are direct replacements and fit on the older cars they kept the same part numbers. The same with the change from pot metal steering hubs to plastic, they were a direct swap so again the part number stays the same.
The Mk2/RR motor plate and chassis are incompatible with the older cars, so they are given new part numbers.a

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

The first zxr I built, with 7 cell chassis, used the kingping/ camber link on top of the c hub. I know, stirring the pot,, but I really think alot of those updates were thrown into production before the next model came out.

Its really opening a can of worms trying to figure out the zxr it seems. The zx was pretty well finished,, but zxr a continuous work in progress.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Think teamline used the inner hole first on their blocks as I think I was using one in 91 or 2
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

HKS_TRD wrote:Thanks for all that info. I didn't realise Kyosho also changed the length of the front la-26 wishbones, I'll have to compare all the arms I have now. I also have two sets of the la-104, one for my zx-s and one for my runner
So many little differences, you always learn something new.
I have many NIP parts here and trying to put aside in three boxes what is required to build a ZX, ZX-R MKI and ZX-R MKII and build a spare car with the leftovers to sell. I think I'm pretty close now.
Thats news to me, my zx/zxr wishbones in front of me and ive a lot and are identical. Think the sports or 2000 may have been slightly different though as I did test those and it felt wrong, material was poor but think length was my issue.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

tamiyadan wrote:like i mentioned i believe there are more then just mk1 and mk2 as people think. the evidence is really showing 4 different versions of the buggy over the span of the kits production plus the zx-rr versions of the kit.
Yes as they kept changing throughout production without altering the box. As you know kyosho used old stock in their first few kits, my zx and think Mannie Pannesars had parts of the previous cars, mind you his was a proto and mine was the first production version in the uk, then the same happened throughout the range where sometime before the next version the last few had parts for the future model but also the rr did have a few production hickups with old parts as well but know if that happened and was notice Ripmax in the uk changed out parts without question. Still I had pretty much every kit and my zxrr came with gold option house shocks whereas the next one I got came with gold three part evolution shocks.

Also chassis, ive had in the past a chassis for both zxrr and zx motor mounts so could use both so long as you had both version motor plate and top decks, but didnt take off due to fibrelyte selling a better product.

Sponser links below

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

rccars4sal wrote:The first zxr I built, with 7 cell chassis, used the kingping/ camber link on top of the c hub. I know, stirring the pot,, but I really think alot of those updates were thrown into production before the next model came out.

Its really opening a can of worms trying to figure out the zxr it seems. The zx was pretty well finished,, but zxr a continuous work in progress.
Tbh the team developed non stop, i had my tie rod attached to the inner of the castor block in 91/2 as it gave more freedom to the kingpin plus helped give me more upper movement and several other guys were testing so you can see why it appeared mid way through production. Its kind of schumacher esq as they still do that

Sponser links below

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

HKS_TRD wrote:Did any of the Lazers ever use the plastic otw-9 battery straps?
Lazer ZX. Best battery holders made for this car plus you know from my pics they are still fitted.

Sponser links below

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Welshy40 wrote:Thats news to me, my zx/zxr wishbones in front of me and ive a lot and are identical. Think the sports or 2000 may have been slightly different though as I did test those and it felt wrong, material was poor but think length was my issue.
I agree all the competition Lazer wishbones from the ZX to ZX-RR are the same length. The ZX ones had extra webbing that was left off the ZX-R arms, and was a standard running change. The Lazer 2000 and Lazer Alpha used arms moulded in a softer plastic, and were solid with no holes in them. If Kyosho had introduced longer arms they would have a new part number for them.

The Kyosho Maxxum FF uses a front suspension which is very similar to the Lazer. The main difference is that the Maxxum arms are a narrower shape which mounts the shocks further back than on the Lazer arms. Without having the arms to compare I can't say whether they are a different length compared with Lazer arms.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

terry.sc wrote:
Welshy40 wrote:Thats news to me, my zx/zxr wishbones in front of me and ive a lot and are identical. Think the sports or 2000 may have been slightly different though as I did test those and it felt wrong, material was poor but think length was my issue.
I agree all the competition Lazer wishbones from the ZX to ZX-RR are the same length. The ZX ones had extra webbing that was left off the ZX-R arms, and was a standard running change. The Lazer 2000 and Lazer Alpha used arms moulded in a softer plastic, and were solid with no holes in them. If Kyosho had introduced longer arms they would have a new part number for them.

The Kyosho Maxxum FF uses a front suspension which is very similar to the Lazer. The main difference is that the Maxxum arms are a narrower shape which mounts the shocks further back than on the Lazer arms. Without having the arms to compare I can't say whether they are a different length compared with Lazer arms.
Thats the other one I couldnt remember, Maxxum FF and yes similar but not suitable.

Sponser links below

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

terry.sc wrote:
The Lazer 2000/Alpha arms are also a completely different design from the Lazer ZX(R(R)) arms. There's literally no way to mix them up.
IIRC, the Maxxum arms are slightly longer.

The Lazer rear arms were also modified for use on the Ultima RB Type-R, but those have a different part number.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

What's the part number for the Ultima RB arms and how do they differ?

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

You can see them on my Ultima Type-R here. Part number UMW-409. They are made from Kyosho's late 1990s/early 2000s really hard graphite reinforced plastic (same stuff as used on the hard TF-2/3/4 arms, even more undestructible than the stock ZX-R arms) and are modified with extra webbing at the end where the rear hub mounts. IIRC, Lazer hubs do not fit as they hit the extra webbing.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Is it possible to fit them to a Lazer using different hubs, if so which hubs are required