Let's talk Triumph

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

Let's talk Triumph

Post by RCveteran »

Frankly I knew nothing about it, got a nice deal on this one and I am very intrigued by the car. Appears it never really caught on or has a not so great rep. All I know is it sure is hopped up from the factory and seems ahead of it's time at least in the narrow front chassis long arm concept, Dual deck, 2.2 wheels, all sorts of adjustment features and who doesn't love the silky gold shocks. Looking at old Tower adds seems to appear sometime around 1991 and disappear shortly there after.

The one I got has a cut top deck, was this a popular mod? Basically anything you want to share about these let's put it here. Any good stories from back in the day?
Triumph.jpg

jkelm24
Approved Member

Re: Let's talk Triumph

Post by jkelm24 »

Yep, you'll find some info here using the search. We've discussed different race mods and alternative parts in other threads. Maybe some of that will be useful to you depending on your intentions with yours (shelf or run).

Yes, the Triumph was released in '91 and was later replaced by the Pro X in '93.

The Triumph is one of my personal all time favorite buggies. Kyosho basically packed every single 2wd fad of the time into one model: dual carbon deck, long suspension arms, long shocks, adjustable front rake, belt drive transmission... it had it all. It was released within a couple years of Associated's first 'Stealth' that Masami raced in Australia in '89. Kyosho appears to have taken the blue print from that car and packed a bunch of other mentioned features into it when designing the Triumph.

This kit was sold along side the Lazer ZXR as their two flag ship models. The ZXR appeared to have done fine in the 4WD market because it really didn't have a lot of competition outside of Yokomo and Schumacher. I remember seeing ZXRs all over the race boards in RCCA magazine (among YZ10s and Cats). But, the Triumph had a ton of competition!

The word on the street says that Kyosho was also having distribution problems in the US during this time period. This appears to be at least somewhat true. I remember Tower Hobbies being one of the few places advertising Kyosho at the time.

The Triumph also isn't very durable. It's intended to be a pure-bread racing machine and durability doesn't appear to have been a top priority. They skimmed weight everywhere possible. The top deck was a regular casualty. They snapped between the front bulkhead and battery box. This appears to have been the case with yours, and is also one of the reason why it's nearly impossible to find a NIP top deck (although the bottom deck can be easily found for cheap).

Enjoy it!!! They're an amazing example of the trends that were making their way through the 2wd world in the late 80's and early 90's.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Thanks for the history. Agreed no top decks anywhere. This one appears 95% new at least. I intend to run it a bit on carpet offroad fun laps but it won't see anything serious, parts are just too hard to find. I have me rere RC10 for showing the new school cars how we did it and you can get parts for it.

I need to paint the body for this one, it is the original uncut in that box. Probably box art.

I have to agree, there are parts that look fragile but almost formula one mindset, durability comes 2nd to speed. It looks very modern for such an old car. Last belt drive I had was Schumacer Topcat and I found the silent nature pretty cool.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Were the front wheels used on anything else? I can find rears on ebay. Coincidentally both swap directly to my original Ultima which I was just about to convert to RB5 front hubs. If I could find a direct 2.2 swap I'd be happier.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Luckily some people reproduce those uppers :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_3782.JPG
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The wheels were sold later with a similar looking cheapo car "Chadori" something

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

It was very strange kyosho only ever offered a glassfibre chassis and topdeck. You'd think the top model would at least have a graphite chassis.

Things i rember being discussed were 2 generations of front shock towers and single belt vs double belt transmission cases.

I had a virgin body too, but went with a losi body instead. Check it out:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39189

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Direction to top deck pretty please?

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Losi body fits like a glove but I think my shelfer JRx2 would be upset with it and a war could break out when I am not around. It already tried to stop the Kyosho invasion once. :mrgreen:
x2 triumph.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

RCveteran wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 5:24 pm Direction to top deck pretty please?

Shoot me a message if u need one. I'm cutting parts this weekend. They are $24 shipped
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Thank you GoMachV. Perfect fit new top deck, better than new. I am quite certain this car is now a contender for 2023 IFMAR World's it was so far ahead. :D
top deck.jpg

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Nice, just in case you werent aware Jamie Booth won the British Nationals with this car and also with the ZXR so was above average. He beat Craig Drescher who as you most probably know made almost all the worlds A finals at the events he raced at and won 11 euros titles so to beat him driving his stunning associated must be quite good. Also I raced those nationals and saw it go and looked good but did understeer.

The next car the Pro X was the worst RC buggy ever made, looked stunning but just didnt work.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Welshy40 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 am The next car the Pro X was the worst RC buggy ever made....
:lol: ok I know what you mean, I've built one, and the trans was horrid- but I've owned some much worse buggies than the Pro-X :mrgreen:
Factory Works website

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

It was kind of funny how they tried selling the pro-x gearbox design as a novelty while the losi jrx2 used the same principles years before.
But getting back to the triumph: I saw 1 shop in the uk still sells spare wheels for the hype chadori...

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

Mr. ED wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:48 am It was kind of funny how they tried selling the pro-x gearbox design as a novelty while the losi jrx2 used the same principles years before.
The Pro-X was designed by ex-Losi guys, hired by Kyosho to make the "perfect" buggy. Let's just say they re-employed Japanese Auto Model shortly after the Pro-X......