Jerobee Challenger

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Jerobee Challenger

Post by Basher67 »

Picked this up today with a small collection I bought. Any input from you guys would be great on this one. It came with a bunch of paperwork including the manual, newsletter, parts list, etc. All the dates are 1976. Does that ring true for the age of this car? At first I thought it had the wrong body but the ends of the box show it's supposed to be a challenger. I found a couple challenger versions on google but none were black. It looks pretty complete. The throttle linkage and rx crystal are missing but thats easy enough. The engine pulls over smoothly and seems to have good compression. At first glance, I don't see any reason I can't be taking this thing for a spin with just a little work. I'm going to post the paperwork in the appropriate forum section, but to give you a tease, it includes the layout and dimensions for the 1/12 nationals track for 1976 and lists the names of the drivers for all the different classes and regions across the U.S. Looks like road racing, oval, and drag racing. Also has an ad for "Associated Electrics" 1928 East Edinger Santa Ana,Ca. with pics of the cars including a badass Pantera. If anyone has a reason for me not to run this car, speak now or forever shut the front door. It's just screaming "drive me!" But I am thinking twice about this one. I'm "Basher", not "Precision Driver" for a reason. Oh, and I don't see any brakes!
Attachments
DSC06973.JPG
DSC06974.JPG
DSC06975.JPG
DSC06976.JPG
DSC06977.JPG
DSC06979.JPG
DSC06980.JPG
DSC06981.JPG

R Cane
Approved Member

Re: Jerobee Challenger

Post by R Cane »

Like it!
8)

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Already ran into the first snag. Opened up the transmitter and everything looks great, except for this monstrosity of a battery connector. I looked in the manual to find it takes a 9v battery size 1603. THEY ARE $50 A PIECE FOR AN ALKALINE. Are you kidding me?! There's no way I'm gonna hack up the wiring in this thing so I'm Going to have to make some kind of adapter so that it can accept a standard 9v if I want to run it.
Attachments
DSC06984.JPG

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks for the good tech info. I didn't even consider the mah. I also thought of just using a different transmitter, but that would take away from the experience. I also received a futaba fp-2f transmitter that looks to be in good shape and is similarly styled that would be cool to use and period correct, but unfortunatley it is 75mhz and the cars integrated receiver is 27mhz

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

I had a White metal detector years ago that used 2 rechargeable 9 volt batteries that were much larger than the normal 9-volt, but with the standard terminals. Maybe an eBay search for something like that might yield a usable result.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Yeah, I'm going to do some searching around on this. This price would be more acceptable if it was a rechargeable of some type. A $50 disposable alkaline is like wiping my ass with gold fringed toilet paper. I've seen that a 9 volt is just a rectangular case around 8 smaller cells. Basically a mini battery pack. I might break out the old battery building stuff and just solder one together with AA's or something that works out to similar mah's

marty slater
Approved Member

Post by marty slater »

BRAKES you don't need no stinking brakes
marty