Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dinglem
Approved Member

Re: Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Post by dinglem »

V12 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:42 pm Regarding the early Revolution motor, there could be markings at the front of the motor and a color code at the endbell which could help identifying what wind it is. Most of my Revolution motors do have this but if it´s a 15T it´s most likely a Double wind.

It looks spotless apart from what looks like an 'H' or could it be an 'I' ???? In the base. I for Insane is what I am thinking.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Do the label colour differences mean anything here? I know one was a Red Dot and I seem to recall having a Pink Dot too.

Both coloured dots have fallen off...
image.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Demon 16 Triple detail. Looks nice actually.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

SRM Scorcher 27T standard.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Few more added this evening :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Must admit I don't know much about Team Checkpoint motors, but this example looks very tidy, with a totally mint decal. Any idea what spec it might be?

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

dinglem wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:19 am
V12 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:42 pm Regarding the early Revolution motor, there could be markings at the front of the motor and a color code at the endbell which could help identifying what wind it is. Most of my Revolution motors do have this but if it´s a 15T it´s most likely a Double wind.
It looks spotless apart from what looks like an 'H' or could it be an 'I' ???? In the base. I for Insane is what I am thinking.

image.jpg
No, this is a '4' what means 'Wet Mag IV' motor. This is a 16T Quint wind, actually intended for 4WD racing. There was also '2' what meant 'Wet Mag 2' 18 Triple for 2WD racing. Both motors were 2nd generation series with the Yokomo Wet mag can but for telling the truth I never got them really working. I preferred the early 17T and 16T triple by far.

The Insane 15T I had also but never was a really fast motor for me. No torque and too much amp draw, at least for 4WD racing the 16T 'Brutus' was way faster and really the bomb.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

dinglem wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 am Demon 16 Triple detail. Looks nice actually.
Don´t know the 16T Triple but the older 17T Triple which was sold as 'Power King'.
The Power King was the first Demon motor using this type of Sagami setup with thick wall can and high strength magnets.
Armatures were machine wound and not soldered at the commutator as this was actually a budget motor, but we found the Power King as a really fast and capable motor.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

dinglem wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm Few more added this evening :)

Must admit I don't know much about Team Checkpoint motors, but this example looks very tidy, with a totally mint decal. Any idea what spec it might be?
This is a Checkpoint Platinum, one of the nicest and best brushed motors ever. :)
One of my favorites as well.
https://classicrc.wordpress.com/motors/checkpoint/checkpoint-platinum/

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

This a 2 then?
image.jpg
V12 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:55 am
dinglem wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:19 am

image.jpg
No, this is a '4' what means 'Wet Mag IV' motor. This is a 16T Quint wind, actually intended for 4WD racing. There was also '2' what meant 'Wet Mag 2' 18 Triple for 2WD racing. Both motors were 2nd generation series with the Yokomo Wet mag can but for telling the truth I never got them really working. I preferred the early 17T and 16T triple by far.

The Insane 15T I had also but never was a really fast motor for me. No torque and too much amp draw, at least for 4WD racing the 16T 'Brutus' was way faster and really the bomb.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I'll check the end of my 3rd Revo as all I was going on was the 17 sticker the previous owner had applied.

Great info - thanks.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

dinglem wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am This a 2 then?
Yes if the endbell is the newer version, same as the '4'.
These versions were made right when Losi started using the Wet Mag cans.
The first generation Revolution motors usually also had a color dot at the endbell. I remember a brownish one for either the 17 or the 16T and a silver one, just don´t remember right now if this was for the 19 or the 15T. I think this was because all of the early motors used the same sticker.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I do also have an earlier version of these Revo motors - I think is was a 17T. I took the label off at some point, and the end bell is different - without ghe gold fins. Will try to get a pic.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

There are more differences between early and 2nd generation Revolution motors but the most visible one are the golden fins for the 2nd generation ones. This fins act as a heatsink for the brushes and were introduce with the 2nd generation Yokomo can, which was used for the newer Revolution motors. This can also used a new type of magnet which is made in a different way, known as wet magnet. This is also where the Revolution 'Wet Mag' name is based on.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Latest addition is an elusive MG Orange Dot :D
orange001.jpg
orange002.jpg
orange003.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

This is a second TMS Tornado 13 Double, mounted up and ready to go in the back of my Meteor. This very motor (this actual one) was used by racer Jon Cooke to qualify second to Rory Cull in the Stafford Winter Nats in 1990. Having checked the motor on our motor dresser I can see why as it revs very very highly indeed. Fortunately it is also in mint, unmarked condition.
image.jpg