New RC-10 B4.2

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Re: New RC-10 B4.2

Post by Ucsdmutt »

Anyone know where I can get a Finnisher body?

Nevermind, found a Pro-line Bulldog on the Bay. Close enough for me!

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

So I picked up a Proline Bulldog body. Bought some XXX Main flame masks. It bled, masking in corners and bends never works for me. I was able to cover up most of my mistakes with stickers though! I think next time I will go one solid color or just pin striping. Or I will try liquid mask, I wish I knew how to spray it since brushing on liquid mask sounds horrible.

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

Got new shocks!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Fantastic! Looking good! However, based on that last photo, you'd better be getting some new tires. :lol:
Anyway, so how does she run; what do ya think??
Doug

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

Yea the track I’m at everyone has mostly Kyosho rigs and a few B6s. Having a rear motor is a pretty big disadvantage but other than that it is running great. I broke three A-arms in one day! I’m still learning the track. The locals suggested X2 Pro-Line tires so I ordered some electron and transistors. I had a blast, I decided to run those tires bald for my cement backyard runs. Those original tires were not very good on the track anyhow. I’ll eventually get a B6 and add a ball diff kit and pass the B4.2 to my son, but for now I’ll keep dialing this one in.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Wow, lucky kid! Sucks about the broken arms - 3 in one day??
Yeah, I also have a few sets of the baldies reserved for blasting down the street. I hit upon a set of Bowties once upon a time and they seem to work great on my outdoor loose-dirt track. Some one is selling them cheap NOS on ebay so I picked up 6 sets. They probably bought Prolines remaining inventory back in the day. They do tend to wear fast, however.
The B6 will be a change of pace; interested in hearing about that one when you get it on the track.
Doug

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

I learned the hard way that old brushed motor screws do not fit (or are not meant to) the new brushless motors! Stripped two Reedy motors and the one on my B4.2 kept slipping off the gears on the track. Ordered new screws and fixed that issue, luckily these new motors have multiple holes to screw into...

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6515-ASC6515-motor_mounting_screw_3mm_thread/

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/31531-ASC31531-screws_3x0_5x6_mm_bhcs/

There is definitely a difference in pitch because the bigger screws were hard to screw in almost immediately after starting to go in. Then when you unscrew it there is a small ring of metal from the can that falls out, which led me to believe the screws were not right...

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

That's odd. I pretty sure all of my old brushed motors with a Yokomo style can use M3 x .5 screws like the modern brushless motors. My old Fantom brushed motors with their proprietary can use #4-40 screws. That's the extent of my knowledge here; I'm sure other members here can provide more detail on which motors use what screws.
Doug

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

All ready to race tommorow!

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Looks ready to go! Good luck at the races!

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

Does anyone know why the B4.2 RTR comes with a gear diff and the Team Car comes with a ball diff? With the B6, the gear diff is for carpet and the ball diff is for dirt....

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Ucsdmutt wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 pm Does anyone know why the B4.2 RTR comes with a gear diff and the Team Car comes with a ball diff? With the B6, the gear diff is for carpet and the ball diff is for dirt....
Less warranty hassles and unhappy customers, gear diffs require virtually no maintenance as they just keep going and going, even without oil in them. The RTR cars are geared towards novices which likely are just bashing or starting out in the hobby.

Ball diffs require a bit of maintenance and you wouldn't be too happy if you melted out the center of your new buggies diff gear, of course an experienced person would know that something wasn't right and could adjust it before melt down. A novice is likely to just run the buggy till it dies. Ball diffs also have a shorter life as they get crunchy if left alone unattended for a long time. Again you wouldn't be happy if the diff was crunchy in your week old buggy because you went crazy with the donuts.

On the other hand the ball diff is arguably the best diff to use for all track conditions with the exception of maybe extreme high grip on a smooth track.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

Thanks for the info, I wonder if it’s worth changing to a ball diff. I wonder what I need to change. The more I replace things from the RTR to the upgraded team kit parts the more I realize how cheap the RTR is. :x

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

Ucsdmutt wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am Thanks for the info, I wonder if it’s worth changing to a ball diff. I wonder what I need to change. The more I replace things from the RTR to the upgraded team kit parts the more I realize how cheap the RTR is. :x
I don't know that I'd called the RTR cheap by any means, it is (was) a pretty good value for the audience it is targeted towards.

Having a look at your car, if you plan to continue racing it a ball diff would be the way to go on basically any track except high-bite carpet. Ball diff kits are still available and reasonable: https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/9853-ASC9853-sc10_ft_ball_differential/.

Another popular upgrade are the v2 big bore shocks, which you already have. The stock RTR plastics can be brittle, as you eluded to with the breakages. What I did with the B4.2 I bought my son was as he broke parts I would just replace them with the FT carbon parts.

One last durability upgrade I would recommend is the DE Racing chassis brace: http://www.deracing.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_198&product_id=350. My son did crack a chassis, and I wish I would have know about this before it happened. No issues since.

All in all the B4.2 is a great platform. Yes, it isn't mid-motor. Yes, it doesn't have a lay-down transmission. But, it can be competitive in the right hands at a club level.

Once you start looking to shave tenths off your lap times, or parts just get harder to find at your local track, then you could consider an upgrade.

Until then, enjoy it!!! :mrgreen:

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

Got some blue team washers and JC steering rack. Much smoother turning now, especially with bearings instead of bushings.