Hirobo Zerda refurb

The place for all things Hirobo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

threesheds
Approved Member

Re: Hirobo Zerda refurb

Post by threesheds »

Dadio wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:51 pm There's a rear gearbox side plate on eBay right now search "Vintage Hirobo carter back right rockn city" about £10 delivered so not that expensive really , It's for the Rock'n city but it's the same part .
Thanks but must have been snapped up. varied the search but it didn't show up. Anyway, what is it they say about scars, they add character?

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

found the rear left, in France, guess thats where the 'right' was too.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Yes it's from France but I can still see a right hand and left hand one for sale , he has 4 more in stock ,eBay item number 300910317239 from seller rc-broc-auto(17318) , I'd do a link but I'm on my tablet and im just not that smart .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Dadio wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:45 pm Yes it's from France but I can still see a right hand and left hand one for sale , he has 4 more in stock ,eBay item number 300910317239 from seller rc-broc-auto(17318) , I'd do a link but I'm on my tablet and im just not that smart .
Cheers, I found it, but with so many parts missing I might live with it...Its never gonna be the belle of the ball. getting a replacement drive pulley with spares. This one had been fitted with a 12 tooth which explains the slack belt perhaps and must make the car slower (12/50 instead of 15/50). The 12mm hex wheel hub adapters almost fit as snug as the hirobo round spacers on the drive shaft, filing out the bore slightly at an angle will make them ride up the tapered shaft by a mil or so. But there's an amount of wobble on the wheels with the round spacers anyway, also on the beagle/kyosho copy. i guess its normal on rccars or sign of bearing wear?
repositioned the steering servo but still in the way of the original shock supports. I'd have to retro fit the original servo saver to get round that. mIght try it for the sake of a good tinker.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The slight wheel wobble is due to the rather odd single wheel bearing design of the hubs , most if not all other cars have a pair of bearings for each axle making them more stable , it's actually supprising to me that there is not more wobble than there is ! , I replaced my bearings as a matter of course with rubber shielded ones but there is still some wobble even with new bearings , evidently back in the day there was a conversion kit to run two bearing hubs and I was thinking of making a set but decided to just live with it as it's not bothering me and my driving is not pro enough to be hampered by it or even notice it when I drive :oops:
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I had a very minor impact that broke a steering knuckle arm for the track rod , really was a minor hit and i was a bit concerned that the plastic might have weakened over time , anyway i did a repair with carbon fibre rod CA glue and thread to keep me on the road (worked surprisingly well ) and try'd to surf up some replacements , no joy for Zerda or Rock'nCity ones but i did find Alien Mid ones and I've read that a lot of parts are the same or beefier but fit so i ordered them and they arrived today , the arm on the steering knuckle is at least twice as thick ! otherwise they are a direct fit just black instead of red .
Repaired one and the other good one .
comparison of the Zerda and Alien Mid

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

@threesheds with all due respect - how about starting your own Zerda thread so we can keep track of whose car is getting what work done, wtihout mixing both these up? :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Lonestar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm @threesheds with all due respect - how about starting your own Zerda thread so we can keep track of whose car is getting what work done, wtihout mixing both these up? :)
Didnt think mine worth a thread....held together string already,

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I don't mind sharing but even a runner deserves to be seen , I'm glad in saw your steering system .

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

threesheds wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:52 pm
Lonestar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm @threesheds with all due respect - how about starting your own Zerda thread so we can keep track of whose car is getting what work done, wtihout mixing both these up? :)
EVERY running zerda is worth its own thread! they're too scarce to be ignored :)

(you guys got me started... I found a sweet one yesterday, but $400+ for the red cage version, ouch! Not buying atm...)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

To be honest until I started looking into getting one I was only aware of their red cage version , I never knew there was a black cage kit .
They do change hands for reasonable money every now and then , mine was £135 plus delivery costs , it was pretty complete just dirty and needing new bearings .
There is a new in box one on eBay but I'm using both my kidneys .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Lonestar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 am
threesheds wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:52 pm
EVERY running zerda is worth its own thread! they're too scarce to be ignored :)

(you guys got me started... I found a sweet one yesterday, but $400+ for the red cage version, ouch! Not buying atm...)
Ok I've had a change of heart , every Zerda needs its own special place , start another Zerda thread Threesheds , you know she deserves it :D yours has some unique racing mods that deserve everybody seeing !

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

can't find the 'new thread' or topic button but in the meantime. getting a new gearbox rh side from France. that'll mean a bit of a rebuild and clean up.
hex adapters almost a good fit, using some nylon washers and a bit of filing

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

after reading your discusion re red/black cage, checked mine as I thought it might be a repaint but found it had been painted blue and subsequently scraped off. Missing rear bar so I'm looking for suitable round plastic or metal to fashion something. Got the thing running with the cheapest rc gear on the market but runs fine with the original or this unbranded motor.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Thanks for tips in your posts dadio, yep I had to file out the bore of the replacement pinions. the 93 tooth belts still too long for the 16 tooth pinion but runs fine with the belt over instead of under the tensioner