"Doggy Bag" YZ-834b runnner build

The place for all things Yokomo.
jwscab

Re: "Doggy Bag" YZ-834b runnner build

Post by jwscab »

Actually, I use has tooling with drill rod, o1 or a1 in an annealed condition and it machines pretty nicely. It can be hardened and tempered afterwards.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I never think of annealing before machining (need a slap forehead emoji) excellent idea ! Thanks .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

You should be able to buy it in the annealed condition

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Easy to find , thanks I'll have to order some in .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I now have steering , its a modified BSD servo saver and a fibre glass wrack , actually works very well once i got a few clearance issues sorted , I've also started the top deck , no tensioner pulleys yet but it will have a spring tensioning system on the top length of chain and a single pulley on the bottom length to just give a little clearance to the battery tray , the bottom length of chain will only be redirected by about 2 mm so it wont induce too much drag hopefully .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

A nice sheet of 3 mm kydex arrived today to make a front bumper , never try'd forming kydex before but it was a nice simple shape so to cut then 135C in the oven for two minutes and roll it round a jam jar till it cools and job done .

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

It’s really looking the part! When’s the test drive?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It's not too far off I guess , last night after work I milled out two pulley mounts and cut the needed clearance on the chain side of the top deck and mounted the idler pulley that lifts the chain over the battery , the night before I finished off the battery tray by milling a slot under it for a chain guide and cut out three large holes in it for weight saving ( :lol: ), so now I just need to make a bell crank for the chain tensioner and fit that between the pulley and mount , screw it onto the top deck and it's ready for the install of the electrics . Unfortunately I have a ton of stuff I have to do today , gardening , Airsoft gunsmithing for a few customers so I doubt I'll get any more done till tomorrow :cry:
I want to cut a new front shock tower as well in CF purely for aesthetic reasons , I have the CF in 3 mm so it's just time not any cost , she might have to go on a diet as well as she's a little heavy , my friend who I drive with most of the time has just about finished building a Schumacher Cat XLS and that's probably going to be my new dogs main competition , so a steep uphill battle ! It's always been the same though between us even as kids , I had a hot shot and he had an Optima , I had an old 3 gear stromy archer bike and he had a 12 gear Peugeot competition racer , in short I've always been desperatly hanging on to his heels and modifieing like mad to gain any edge I could , I should thank him really as it's been how I learnt what I'm now using here to build this car .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Lots of chores done so i found a little time to make the bell crank for the chain tensioner , so its install and testing time :D I'm actually expecting some failures in testing for the transmission , its got a newly designed slipper that i hope works , the hybrid Yokomo/Team C diff i have high hopes for but may need a bit of adjusting and the front diff has the highest possibility of failure of all and will also need setting up right if it works .......

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Had to stop it's getting late , I just have the steering linkage and servo mounting to do , motor is in and ESC , im running a Trackstar 10.5t sensored motor and Trackstar 80A ESC .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It's alive ! :D , finally got the steering set up this afternoon while watching the F1 GP , it was only a very short test drive as it's raining pretty hard outside but it all seemed to work , no idea about how well it handles or accelerates etc as wet tarmac has so little trip but it seems lively compared to my other doggy , the old one runs a 17.5t motor and this one a 10.5t , it does need more brakes so that's one adjustment I can make .
wish i was better at tidy installs :oops:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Just managed a 15 min test out in the road and I'm pleasantly surprised , there is a first glitch but a very small one , the tensioner can get stuck up when you go backwards , the head of the screw that holds the pulley to the bell crank fouls on the top deck , it just needs a little material removed and it will run free , it only throws the tensioner up so high in reverse or breaking to a far lesser extent , when going forward there is no issue at all , if it still had one ways up front instead of a diff it wouldn't be an issue at all .

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

That's very impressive that you made it run!

Just don't hit anything so you don't have to hit reverse :D
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I'm pretty happy but I'll wait till it's run in the dry and a few more times before I open the bubbly , I'm most happy about the front diff working , now I need to dial both diffs Inn to run the way I like , at the moment the front diff is tighter than the rear and I'm guessing that's a recipe for understear , again I need to wait for a dry day but next week is supposed to be unseasonally hot , this is England though so it will probably rain for 10 days straight :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Another test drive went well , this time in the dry , there is a little power on understear so a little playing with the diffs is next on the list but on the up side it's very quick ! The 10.5t motor and 19 tooth pinion combine to make it satisfyingly fast even without timing adjustment ..
So how much of my original plan have I realised .
1 longer and wider yes
2 4 shocks. Yes
3 slipper clutch yes
4 front diff yes
5 belt drive no
No belt drive , I still might but it would need a redesign of the front diff and the chain is working for now .
Next , how much original DNA is there ?
Gearbox , rear trailing arm mounts , front bulkhead and three gears although only one is being used in standard form .
The rest is either fabricated , PG store or repurposed other car parts , in short a real mongrel :D