Optima Mid Runner Budget Build to LWB conversion

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid Runner Budget Build

Post by XLR8 »

RCveteran wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:11 pm I am going to build a rare Optima Mid Short Wheelbase Custom Special CVD Type RBZ5.4 edition.
Cool! I know a little about Custom Special but what is "type RBZ5"? I googled but really didn't find anything. Will you do a build thread and post it here on the forums?
Doug

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

It was a joke, a bad one apparently. :mrgreen:

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Oh :oops:
Sorry, I reckon I'm a Kyosho noob.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

So I now have this awesome extended wheelbase chassis set from Jeff to lengthen the car and hopefully make it a little less twitchy.
However, I've been giving this some more thought. I still have this other SE in pieces that I'd planned to restore and sell. Rather than dismantling the Mid and effectively bench it while waiting for the long belt covers and body to arrive, I think I'll use the new chassis and the SE parts to build a another runner - a Special? (or "TOMS", I think that's what they were called). My only issue is the SE's Platinum shocks; I'm a bit reluctant to use them for a backyard runner since I believe they were made exclusively for the SE so they might be kinda rare. Also, they'll certainly need to be rebuilt and likely will require special seals that could be very hard to find. BTW, could someone please provide a link where I can download an English language manual for the Special? The only one I've found is in Japanese. I'd sorta like to compare part numbers to identify all the differences. thanks.
Attachments
P1010203.JPG
Doug

RadioFlyer

Post by RadioFlyer »

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 pm It's too bad 3Racing no longer sells CVDs for the Lazer; I bought a few sets that worked perfectly (for my modded width cars) at the 68mm length. They were under $20 for a pair. I believe the fronts were ZX5-19/HD and 68mm, the rears were ZX5-20/HD and 65mm.

https://www.3racing-parts.com/kyosho-lazer-zx5-front-universal-shaft-heavy-duty-3racing-zx519hd-p-10001431.html

They also sold a 4-piece shock set that was a great fit for the Optima series, needing only minor modifications to fit. I bought a set, I wish I bought more, though.

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2607
http://www.hksrc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2699

http://www.topgunrchobbies.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=313&category_id=42&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

I found them here with some Google-Fu, I never shopped at either place. Just FYI.
Sean 8)

I'm going to drive it 'til the wheels fall off and burn.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Awesome! Thanks Sean.
Also, I was at JC Racing looking at wheels and noticed they also have (or had) CVA's for Optimas.
http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=427
Doug

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

The TOMS (Turbo Optima Mid Special) was a "special" version of the extended Optima Mid. It came with bearings, no motor/speed control and carbon Fiber chassis/top plate. And a few other things I can't recall.

IIRC, The Optima Mid Custom Special was pretty much the same thing with the aluminum parts. It was also the one with a different body style.

The Optima Mid Custom was the "stock" stretched mid model.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Wahrsuul wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 pm The TOMS (Turbo Optima Mid Special) was a "special" version of the extended Optima Mid. It came with bearings, no motor/speed control and carbon Fiber chassis/top plate. And a few other things I can't recall.

IIRC, The Optima Mid Custom Special was pretty much the same thing with the aluminum parts. It was also the one with a different body style.

The Optima Mid Custom was the "stock" stretched mid model.
Thanks! That pretty much squares with information I've been able to find. Also, I think there were some differences with wheel styles and/or colors among the different versions.
It's interesting that Kyosho flipped back and forth between fiber and aluminum with the chassis plates. I've not been able see the logic in their materials changes. Maybe it's just being different for difference sake (milking the basic OM while completing development on the next major platform release).
Anyway, do you know if perhaps the TOMS was offered to Asian markets exclusively so this is why I haven't been able to find an English manual for that model?
Also, how many different bodies were made for the various Optima Mids (swb and lwb)?
Doug

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

I only know of 2 body styles from Kyosho for the stretched mids. The one with the Custom Special and the one that looked like the original mid. I have both, but never got around to using the CS body. it's still in my box of parts.

I couldn't say about the TOMS availability. I picked mine up while in japan along with most of my cars. I had heard from the shop owner that they were considering a "limited" release of all the stretched mids because the Lazer ZX was due out.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

The body, wing, undertray, gear and belt covers and decal set has arrived so I’m able to make a little progress on this project.
LWB body and decals.JPG
I began testing fitting parts and noticed that the chassis will need some mods to allow it to fit the undertray.
LWB chassis requires mods.JPG
While searching the web for a manual for the LWB car, I found this catalog which has a really good top view photo of the chassis plate.
TOMS catalog.jpg
I was able to capture the shape and create a template for the cuts.
FW Mid LWB Main Chassis mods.jpg
LWB chassis template.JPG
With the cuts completed, the chassis now fits the undertray.
LWB chassis with mods.JPG
With four cell slots located on the right side, the servo will need to be flipped to the left side but I’ll sort that out later.
Body, undertray and wing are roughed-out and everything seems to fit very well. I left a little extra material at the leading and trailing edge of the wing hoping this will make it more durable.
LWB body and wing fitted 1.JPG
LWB body and wing fitted 2.JPG
LWB body and wing fitted 3.JPG
LWB body and wing fitted 4.JPG
So now it’s on to trimming the gear and belt covers and mounting the servo and battery holders. Next, paint, decals, and re-assembly.
Doug

mikea96
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid Runner Budget Build to LWB conversion

Post by mikea96 »

Nice job! Im going to use that template on my chassis as well. I put my turbo optima on ebay to pay for more parts for the mid and lazer.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I like that template ;-) If you don’t mind I’ll incorporate that into the future cuts as well.

I’m not exactly sure what the thought on moving the extra cell to the right side was- it bugs me too :lol: flipping the servo isn’t a big deal but if we ever cut these fresh I’ll flip em
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Since the servo is moving to the left side, I'm going to try relocating the ESC to the right side in the vacant space where the forward cell and servo would normally occupy. Currently, I have the ESC mounted up high right in front of the wing. The ESC's heat sink protrudes though the body where the original MSC resistors would normally sit. Apparently, the TOMS never came with an MSC so there's no accommodation in its body for resistor cooling.
There's a small gap in the new body and undertray in front where the steering links exit and some open space at the back of the car which should provide for some air flow through the body-work to cool the ESC (I hope).
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

The mystery expands. I found this posted on ebay with the title "Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare". There's no description. I guess it could be home-made?
Attachments
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare1.jpg
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare1.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare1.jpg
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare1.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare.jpg
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare.jpg
Vintage Kyosho Optima Mid Main Chassis Long Wheel Base 8.4V DA Graphite Rare.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Doug

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

DA Graphite was a manufacturer, not likely homemade.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website