Budget friendly rx and tx

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Budget friendly rx and tx

Post by Wahrsuul »

Ok, I've got the cars cleaned up and ready to go. Finally picked up a couple batteries and a new charger. Now it seems my old radios don't want to work. So, I need some budget friendly radios and receivers. I don't need anything more than simple 2 channel for the kids to play with. A stick style radio would be nice as the pistol style might be a bit too big for small hands.

Flysky seems to be fairly inexpensive, but are they worth it? There's some on Amazon fs-gt2e) that come with a receiver, but I'd want a couple extra receivers, and I don't know that they'd work with the transmitter. Most of the cars don't have an ESC if that makes a difference. The servos are usually old Futabas.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Budget friendly rx and tx

Post by Lonestar »

yes - flysky delivers good bang for the buck. Receivers are cheap. Nothing wrong about them, and rx'es are like $10 or so.

While you're at it, pick a few servo connectors just in (the likely) case you need to rewire your futabas! (28? 128? 148? :) )
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

I rescued a buggy with cheapest fly sky, ESC and servo, good enuf for a beginner. It was about 25sterling for flysky RX and tx. Not much more than 10 for the ESC and servo bought separately. First ESC didnt work cos the switch was faulty but supplier replaced no problem all via eBay. Got a second flysky RX which bonded no problem for abt 7quid

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

If fitting small hands is important, also check out the Hobby King Quanum radio. It’s around $25, stocked in the USA, and perfect for tiny hands. I think they are still running the free USA shipping over $50 as well, which helps a lot.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-2-4ghz-3ch-pistol-grip-tx-rx-system.html
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

Great, so it sounds like I need new servos as well? Guess I'll see how much those run...

sbednara
Approved Member

Post by sbednara »

wish i would have read this thread yesterday. i purchased a GoolRC TG3 2.4GHz 3CH Digital Radio Transmitter w/Receiver on ebay last night, $25. i'll post up a review once i have a chance to use it.

I'm hoping my old futaba S148 steering servo still works. if not, any suggestions on what inexpensive steering servo would work on an old kyosho raider pro for backyard running?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-GoolRC-TG3-2-4GHz-3CH-Digital-Radio-Transmitter-w-Receiver-for-RC-U5D0/222970888518?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
RC10 Championship Edition
Tekin Rebel ESC
Fantom Motor

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

I picked up a Quanum with receiver, and a Flysky GT3C with receiver. I think the Quanum was around $25 or so. Got it for the smaller hands. Picked up the Flysky for me. Haven't gotten them in yet, but from the pics, it looks like the connectors are the same as my old Futaba servos. If not, Amazon had some inexpensive ones.

I managed to get a couple of the old 27mhz transmitters working, but they don't have the range they used to. Looking forward to getting the new systems in and see how well they work.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

s148s are tough servos, it would be pretty hard for that to fail. I would suggest some entry level futaba servos, S3004, for 15 bucks, basic ball bearing servo, should be pretty bulletproof.

the futaba connectors should fit fine in the new radios(as long as they aren't 'G' exposed pins). You may or may not need to trim the small locator rib.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

jwscab wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm s148s are tough servos, it would be pretty hard for that to fail. I would suggest some entry level futaba servos, S3004, for 15 bucks, basic ball bearing servo, should be pretty bulletproof.

the futaba connectors should fit fine in the new radios(as long as they aren't 'G' exposed pins). You may or may not need to trim the small locator rib.
I agree completely, S148's are tough as nails.

Hey Joe, I've been having good luck with these cheap Futaba knock-off Rx's but the instructions say they can't be used with analog servos. Any guess as to why they must be used with a digital servo?
Attachments
corona.JPG
Doug

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

not really sure. I do know some of the digital stuff uses higher resolution and can also change the pulse widths to be greater than a regular 45 degree throw(or, more precisely, 1.5mS, +- .5mS), so maybe the digital outputs (if a cheap model and not adjustable) can cause the servo to try and travel too far, making the signal out of the servo's nominal range causing damage?

I don't know what would happen if you fed an analog servo a greater than 2mS or less than 1mS pulsewidth, but suspect that might be what's going on.

EDIT** Looking at some web stuff for a few minutes, it seems to be related to the 'speed' setting of the receiver, it cautions that you need to set those to the 'slow' speed setting for analog servos. That makes sense as the analog servos are designed around 20mS pulse timing (50hz), they can operate somewhat faster, but if you go too fast they can't keep up and get confused leading to them reaching an end point and bind or buzz which will burn them out.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

That makes sense. I recall reading in the manual for the Futaba 4PLS system about a high and low setting depending upon what type servo is to be used. The Corona instructions appear to sidestep this "high/low" setting option and just advise against using analog servos entirely. Maybe Corona was flooded with complaints (and warranty claims) for servo failures that were really the fault of the consumer not choosing the proper speed setting from the transmitter.
I may sacrifice a cheap analog servo with one of these Rx's (with the proper Tx speed setting of course) and see what happens. Thanks Joe!!
Doug

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

Just gto the GT3C and Quanum in - WOW, can't believe how small the receivers are! Haven't tried to install yet, my ESC hasn't arrived. Did get some great 2.2 wheels and some 12mm adapters for the Terra Scorcher.