Never seen this before?! 3 Losi rebuilds at once! JRX-T Fin

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GJW
Approved Member

Re: Never seen this before?! 3 Losi rebuilds at once!

Post by GJW »

massive effort you have put in doc, all presented very well.. losi club on the talk is running strong.. 8)

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

Wow, I guess it has been a long time since I added to my thread. Guess life is life.

Since the great JRX-2 Body Debauchle ended I bought a Bluegroove for the 2. Body is crap. Proportions are off. Edges are rounded where they should be crisp. Very poor window lines. Holes are off, etc. But as I am not buying another one I decided that I need to make the best of the body. So I did.

I spent the last two nights prepping the body for the box art paint that I have wanted for 20 years. It is a simple paint job, but a lot of straight lines and compound curves. So I trimmed it up, layed on three layers of liquid mask and snagged some vinyl from a sign shop.

Again, since this body is off I had to make due with what I had. I put the "3" decals on this morning and the curve over the top of the link are on the body. But what can you do?

Here is what I did:
35 years of RC and still broke!

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

And after 4 hours of painting I have what I think is a damn good replica box art body. Colors look off, but they are almost identical to the Losi decals. For that I am happy.

I am finishing the decals tonight and doing the wing. Other than that, she is about finished.

Now if I could just find those damn light orange wheels?!

Oh, and while I am at it. Does anyone know or have some misc losi decals I can snag? I have them circled, but I need a third medium sized jrx-2 decal for the top of the front of the body. I also need 3 of the "team losi" simple name decals in white, but smaller than the ones on the decal sheet from Losi. Is that possible?

Thank you all for looking.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Doc J33P wrote: Now if I could just find those damn light orange wheels?!
:lol: You still haven't found any?
Doc J33P wrote: Does anyone know or have some misc losi decals I can snag? I also need 3 of the "team losi" simple name decals in white, but smaller than the ones on the decal sheet from Losi. Is that possible?
Patience Grasshopper.... Ummm, I mean Clayface
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

Like the paint though? Should have bought one of your bodies. Oh well.

You know Jay, I have been here long enough to get "privileges" from site admins who have those wheels I'll bet?!

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

Oh, should I tint the windows or leave them clear?

Should I back the white inside with a black to darken the colors? They match almost exactly but they are bright.

Clayface need input.................

gregm
Approved Member

Post by gregm »

Doc J33P wrote:Oh, should I tint the windows or leave them clear?

Should I back the white inside with a black to darken the colors? They match almost exactly but they are bright.

Love the paint. How long has the paint been on? It seems to me that I look at a body that I just painted and think WOW that's too much. After it cures a few days it seems to lose a bit of that brightness.

Once you tint the windows and get the decals on it will be right there. 8)

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Doc J33P wrote:Like the paint though?
Can't see the pics from work. Later, when I get home, I'll take a lookze.
www.gojammedia.com

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

gregm wrote:
Doc J33P wrote:Oh, should I tint the windows or leave them clear?

Love the paint. How long has the paint been on? It seems to me that I look at a body that I just painted and think WOW that's too much. After it cures a few days it seems to lose a bit of that brightness.

Once you tint the windows and get the decals on it will be right there. 8)

Paint has been on for 14 hours or so. I used the hairdryer in between coats to make sure it was dry. I used Faskolor so it is water based and once dry it doesn't gas out anymore I think.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Doc J33P wrote:Should I back the white inside with a black to darken the colors? They match almost exactly but they are bright.
i would try it on a scrap piece of lexan first. you don't want to be sorry if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

also, you really can't make the color exact unless you know what kind of the light the boxart pic was taken under. that is one reason we do our best to match colors (at work) outside in the sun, or using a 3M light. it's as close to true sunlight as you can get. alot of people don't realize the effect different lighting has on colors.

i remember..... i painted a car at work one time. it got a new front bumper and fender, and we blended the door and the hood. the car looked great outside. the owner took it home and put the car in his garage. he called the shop and said that it looked like the color didn't match the original panels and he was not happy about it. my boss asked him if it matched outside, and he said yes. my boss then asked him where he wanted his paint to match..... in his garage under 4 60 watt light bulbs, or outside where everyone can see it. that ended the conversation. :P

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I think it looks great!
www.gojammedia.com

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Nice looking rides, I know how tough it is to do 3 builds at once. I did it with my 2 XXTs and XX. It made sense at the time cause I could clean everything in bulk, but rebuilding them has been a right pain. Wish I had just done one at a time, you've done really well to get these 3 rebuilt and looking so nice :!:

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Looks really good, just so you know Fascolor is water based and takes about a week for the paint to fully cure while the water is evaporating out. I wouldn't back anything with black, be satisfied with a great paintjob :D Leave the windows clear. Just my 2 cents
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

That is a great job on the paint. Nice follow thru on the pics also.
This is exciting to see. Kepp up the good work and good luck finding those decals :!:
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

Thanks for the compliments guys. I finished it last night. Got the right driveshafts in (thanks Lex!). Got the Losi pinion in and motor mounted securely. I also removed the mini bumper. So, I have a re/new-built box art JRX-2 after 20 years, lol. Glad I am 31 though. Disposable income is not something we all had when we were 10.

But I was not short of drama last night.... I apparently did not realize that the Losi wing buttons are offset to the holes. I guess I was tired and whatnot. So I drilled the holes center to the wire and placed the decal over the wing. This is the large one that is alone on the sheet. So of course I ruined my only one. when I popped the holes in it.

I literally almost threw away the entire car in the trash at this point! I am so anal that I could not possibly finish without this decal. But wait..............

When I bought this car last year the seller sent the pitbox that was used to race. On that box was a large JRX-2 decal placed on the plexiglass. For some odd reason I cut the area with the decal out of the plexiglass and saved it. I am weird like that. Well I am glad that I did as that was the decal I used!!!!

Here is what I am talking about. A 20 year old decal that has rough edges.
That is the trashed decal behind it. ;(
The carnage.
And after an hour of patience and praying I have a decal I can use!!!

SO I widened the holes for the buttons and put the new/old decal on the wing and voila.

HELL YES I DID IT!!!

Homage to the great! I just got this issue yesterday before the fun - thanks Konich!!!

Before tinting...

I had to take a pic this morning to show you all! It was early and the sun was awful but hey, so is my camera.

If you have a trained eye you may notice something kind of obvious. I have been searching for light orange wheels for months and not found any. Last night while digging in the parts drawer I found that I had two brand new light orange front wheels!!! SO, I NEED TWO REAR LIGHT ORANGE WHEELS TO ANYONE READING!!! lol.

Thanks for looking.
Jon