How to make white parts white?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Re: How to make white parts white?

Post by SmallScaleSmitty »

I decided to conduct an experiment last night. I took some spare moderately dirty/yellowed parts and zip tied them to the top rack of the dish washer and ran it through a cycle using Cascade ActionPacs, the little desolving packs that have powder and liquid dish soap. The parts turned out pretty good. So today I put my RC12e on the line and did the same with all the non metal parts, even the chassis and the wheels. The wheels are in dire need of cleaning but I'm not sure what it'll do to the foam. Most of the parts turned out better than I had hoped. The chassis still has some rust stains from the rusted screws and the rear end blocks are still a little stained and yellowed, but the front end parts, motor cam plate dohickey and the front body mount and servo saver posts cleaned up pretty good. It even seemed to loosen up some old stuborn super glue that was on the front end. Another thing I thought of trying is Castrol Super Clean, but I'm not sure if they still make it. If anyone does find it and try it, I'd be interested to know how it works. I remember their slogan was 'If it won't come clean with Super Clean, I won't come clean'. ;) :)

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

SmallScaleSmitty wrote:I decided to conduct an experiment last night. I took some spare moderately dirty/yellowed parts and zip tied them to the top rack of the dish washer and ran it through a cycle using Cascade ActionPacs, the little desolving packs that have powder and liquid dish soap. The parts turned out pretty good. So today I put my RC12e on the line and did the same with all the non metal parts, even the chassis and the wheels. The wheels are in dire need of cleaning but I'm not sure what it'll do to the foam. Most of the parts turned out better than I had hoped. The chassis still has some rust stains from the rusted screws and the rear end blocks are still a little stained and yellowed, but the front end parts, motor cam plate dohickey and the front body mount and servo saver posts cleaned up pretty good. It even seemed to loosen up some old stuborn super glue that was on the front end. Another thing I thought of trying is Castrol Super Clean, but I'm not sure if they still make it. If anyone does find it and try it, I'd be interested to know how it works. I remember their slogan was 'If it won't come clean with Super Clean, I won't come clean'. ;) :)
good info on the dishwasher, haven't tried that yet. Superclean, like many of the other methods above has been discussed a few times on here.
http://www.superclean.com/index.php The Castrol superclean is now just superclean, no longer a castrol product. It contains Lye which seems to do the majority of the work. This is the same ingredient as in oven cleaner, which is used to strip paint off bodies for repainting, so be careful with the stuff.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

greazy wrote:why would this cause members to leave ?

we are always looking for new ideas in the the quest for a method that would make this happen.

I agree on using the search and post to a thread that is already started.
Perhaps I was being dramatic and I should have added a :wink: at the end of my post. We make new forum subjects for all kind of topics maybe there should be a FAQ so that this and a few other topics could be found easier. I know the search engine is not that good so maybe we need a new Forum to handle these repetitive questions. What do others think?

This is all very interesting!

greazy
Approved Member

Post by greazy »

I think the FAQ is a great idea.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

a01butal wrote:What do others think?
i think if people want their parts to look whiter than white, and super duper minty fresh, they need to go out and buy brand new parts that are just that. until someone comes up with something that definately restores the white back into old parts, i would rather see this question die. it's been beaten into the ground since the forum started.

i feel the same way with the reproduction of bodies. how many of those freakin' threads are there? too damn many. then, a couple guys start popping bodies out, so i start to think those types of threads will die down. NOPE!! now everyone that absolutely NEEDED bodies and wouldn't be able to sleep through the night until they got them all need decals for them now. it's a viscious cycle. :roll:

al... i quoted you, but my rant wasn't directed towards you. a member put me in a bad mood yesterday and it hasn't let up yet.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

scr8p wrote:
a01butal wrote:What do others think?
i think if people want their parts to look whiter than white, and super duper minty fresh, they need to go out and buy brand new parts that are just that. until someone comes up with something that definately restores the white back into old parts, i would rather see this question die. it's been beaten into the ground since the forum started.

i feel the same way with the reproduction of bodies. how many of those freakin' threads are there? too damn many. then, a couple guys start popping bodies out, so i start to think those types of threads will die down. NOPE!! now everyone that absolutely NEEDED bodies and wouldn't be able to sleep through the night until they got them all need decals for them now. it's a viscious cycle. :roll:
Ummm, not to make waves or anything but if you get rid of the threads that discuss these types of things what is the point of having a forum? All that will be left is the B/S/T area and threads where members beat the hell out of each other for one thing or another.
Gary

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

what i'm getting at is that even with the horrible search engine on this forum, i'm sure with little effort i could find atleast a dozen separate topics in reguards to making white parts whiter. and every single one is pretty comes to the same conclusion. nothing really works, and i've not seen anyone come out and say that such and such a product WILL get parts pearly white. so until that time comes, why keep discussing what you use to clean parts when.... as i said.... anything type of cleaner will clean the parts. they're not making the parts whiter, so why keep posting in a thread titled "how to make white parts white" when there's nothing out there that does it?

as i said in my previous post...... i'm kind of in a bad mood. so, i probably should've kept my mouth shut. it's just irritating to me to see the same topics all of the time when this stuff has been covered many many many times. there are a lot of topics i consider RTR's in that the poster wants instant gratification (getting an answer quickly) with out having to do any research for themselves (don't have to build it, just drive it).

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

i think we are getting off topic i little :lol: jusk kidding, i had to!

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

This is all very interesting!

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

It's all good. :wink: I was just kind of in a whining kind of mood myself. I washed the car and took the dog for a walk and I'm better now. I see your point, absolutely. I guess it's just a hazard of most forums, new guys show up and have different ideas, people are always trying something new, and as you said a lot of people come to the forum for a quick answer, not, in itself a bad thing IMO. If people find what they are looking for easiliy they might tend to stick around. I have visited most RC forums on the web (as far as I know) and this is the only one I return to on a daily basis.
Gary

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

vintage AE wrote:i think all of us have used rit dye remover, it doesn't work!
Yeah too bad I didn't say Rit dye remover, LOL...

Yep, done with this topic too, LOL.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Post by SmallScaleSmitty »

Thanks for the info on Super Clean. I went looking for some today, didn't find it. So I was going to get some Simple Green instead when I passed by the Soft Scrub products and found this....

So I did a quick soak and scrub on my rear end blocks and it made it a little bit better than the dishwasher. Before I cleaned the parts, I took a couple 'before snapshots'. Take a look...

And after the quick cleaning...

Not a huge difference, but I imagine with a longer soak on some dirtier parts I think it could make quite a difference. :)