My old-new gold tub project...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

My old-new gold tub project...

Post by Eau Rouge »

I have been collecting parts in a box for years--ever since I first saw the Siebenelch photos--and I figured it was about time I started to try to put these parts together. I still needed a few parts here and there, but about a month ago, I dug out the box o' parts and started working.

It's a pretty straight-forward build, using a standard used A chassis, late model RC10 basic parts, a worked-over Stealth using ceramic bearings throughout with a B4 top shaft and slipper assembly. The sprung weight includes mostly B4 chassis parts including hubs, front axles, spindle carriers, spindles and bearings. Linkage is all Lunsford Punisher with Losi HD low profile ball cups. Rear axles are B44 CVDs for a direct fit in the Stealth outdrives. Carbon items are all Atlas Worlds replicas, and though I would really like them to be at least a 3mm multidirectional weave, they are pretty nice pieces. Shocks are Kyosho Velvets in 30/38mm typical 2wd buggy lengths, using internal limiters in the rear. Steering is an original Team Losi/RPS unit, with a custom stand-off to raise the bellcrank mount up for better steering linkage angle.

Wheels are straight from a B4, and right off the shelf at the local hobby shop. Tires are mock ups for now, while I await the Jconcepts Bar Codes front and rear. Electronics in the car are a Futaba s9550 shortie servo that I use in a lot of my race applications, and a Speed Passion 10.5t brushless geared 72/30 using the new B4.1 "brushless" spur gear. Battery is my old faithful original Orion 4800 LiPo.

Still to come, eventually, are a Tekin RS speedo, Spektrum 3-channel micro receiver and a PT to round out the electronics. Body and body mount system are still in progress, and a 6" Associated flat wing on Kyosho RB5 wing mounts sit waiting to be installed.

Like I said, pretty simple, straight-forward build for the most part. No plans to chop down the sides like everyone else seems to be so intent on doing, but maybe some other old school machining to come. Definitely plans for some custom anodizing touches when everything is where it should be, though.

Gonna take better photos outside later today, but for now, you get the indoor shop floor shots...

Enjoy!

call-911
Approved Member

Re: My old-new gold tub project...

Post by call-911 »

Nice! Looks great!
Keith C

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Looks great. I've been toying with the idea of 10T rear tower instead of the Atlas tower, but haven't landed on which direction to go. Looking at your car definitely pushes me back toward the Atlas tower.

Can't wait for the update pictures, especially with the wing mounts installed.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Clean looking buggy. Excellent combination of parts.

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

I really like this car. Is that how big the receiver antennas are these days? I am still running old school Futaba Magnum Jr's and don't know too much about the new radio systems.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Yeah, DSM technology is miles of reception with a 3.5" antenna. Most don't even use a mast out of the cars anymore. I'd never use a FM or AM radio for any reason again. IMO, 2.4gHz DSM technology rivals brushless motors and LiPo batteries for the best inventions in RC in the last 20 years.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Pretty clean looking buggy. I wanted to ask is there a rear "Hinge pin brace" for the rear arms? I see a wee bit of purple.

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

I was going to stick with old school but if the new radios are that much better then I am adding one to my list. 8) Thanks.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

drbelleville wrote:Pretty clean looking buggy. I wanted to ask is there a rear "Hinge pin brace" for the rear arms? I see a wee bit of purple.
No, good eye, though. :wink: I used Associated shock shafts for the inner hinge pins front and rear to use one locknut on the rear side of the hinge pin. Four less E-clips to fall out/lose and it makes the pins a little easier to get in and out. It also allows you to use Unobtanium pins for a little more resistance to bending in impacts.

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

Where do you get the ceramic bearings for the Stealth?

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Eau Rouge wrote:
drbelleville wrote:Pretty clean looking buggy. I wanted to ask is there a rear "Hinge pin brace" for the rear arms? I see a wee bit of purple.
No, good eye, though. :wink: I used Associated shock shafts for the inner hinge pins front and rear to use one locknut on the rear side of the hinge pin. Four less E-clips to fall out/lose and it makes the pins a little easier to get in and out. It also allows you to use Unobtanium pins for a little more resistance to bending in impacts.
Thats a great idea. Reminds my of the Trinity Hinge pins for my old Kanai I Buggy. They had a head on one end and threaded on the other.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

allaircooled wrote:Where do you get the ceramic bearings for the Stealth?
3/32" ceramic diff balls and all ceramic internal ball bearings for the Stealth gearbox and diff are from Avid (http://www.avidrc.com).

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

Eau Rouge wrote:
allaircooled wrote:Where do you get the ceramic bearings for the Stealth?
3/32" ceramic diff balls and all ceramic internal ball bearings for the Stealth gearbox and diff are from Avid (http://www.avidrc.com).
Thanks!

just
Approved Member

Post by just »

what gearbox are you using? It looks like a B4 gearbox, but i think the B4 gearbox wouldn't fit without drilling a square in the back of the chassis? Newbie question :roll:

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

just wrote:what gearbox are you using? It looks like a B4 gearbox, but i think the B4 gearbox wouldn't fit without drilling a square in the back of the chassis? Newbie question :roll:
It's a pretty straight-forward build, using a standard used A chassis, late model RC10 basic parts, a worked-over Stealth using ceramic bearings throughout with a B4 top shaft and slipper assembly.