chassis paint removal

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R.A.C.I.N

chassis paint removal

Post by R.A.C.I.N »

New member here and all i can say is this site is awesome!!!! This is my first build (in 20 some years ). I've been racing since the late '80's , carpet oval for the last ten yrs. My 4yr. old son decided he wanted an offroad buggy, so i started lookin on ebay a couple of months ago for something for him to play with. He's a decent oval driver, so i thought an offroad car would improve his skills, and the next thing i know i was droolin over Edinger RC10's !! Not really sure how i ended up here, led here by the rc gods, i'm sure. Anyway i bought an A stamp car covered in gray primer and magic marker! How do i get the paint off without ruining the anodizing? I'm pretty sure this was painted blue from the factory, blue paint underneath the nose plate then some fool primered it after it was assembled. i soaked it in denatured alcohol for three days now but that doesn't seem to be working. All the nylon parts are soaking in simple green and it looks like most of the marker will come off without scrubbing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I also have an RC10T, T2,and a JRX2 awaiting resurrection! Bought them all for less than $30 each.
Attachments
Chassis.jpg
Is the blue paint factory paint?
Chassis.jpg (23.9 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Chassis.jpg (23.9 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

JK Racing
Approved Member

Re: chassis paint removal

Post by JK Racing »

acetone, will eat the paint and not harm the anodizing.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Just hope they didnt sand it down first.Most ive come across werent sanded down ,just painted over.DON

R.A.C.I.N

Post by R.A.C.I.N »

Thanks for the info. The spots that i've been able to scratch through the primer and paint appear to have good clean ano. underneath. It was actually a good thing it was painted. This thing was beat on and the paint protected the chassis. I'll post pics after i get the paint stripped to let ya know how it turned out., Rich

OGRC10T
Approved Member

Post by OGRC10T »

Hey I agree with you man this site is awesome, just got back into rc's again myself and the info and friendliness on this site is great.

Aircraft remover will definitely get the paint off but not sure if it will ruin the anodizing... if your acetone soak doesnt work maybe try a test spot hidden under the nose area or do some more research on the aircraft remover before u take my word.
Fluorescent Green Tub RC10T 7011
RC10 Gold Pan Currently in rebuild http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28082
HPI RS4 Pro2
HPI RS4 Pro2 Rally

RC12R5.1 for Sale http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28260

R.A.C.I.N

Post by R.A.C.I.N »

I soaked the chassis and nose plate in acetone for about 3 hrs, looks like the first layer of primer and blue paint fell right off. The last layer still looked stuck so i put it back in the pan to let it soak a little longer. I'll check it again after work. Can't wait to get started on this build! gonna return it to it's original glory!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you might have to work the primer coating off with a paper towel or rag to get it to remove completely. Use it outdoors as the acetone can make you pretty loopy.

R.A.C.I.N

Post by R.A.C.I.N »

I looked at my soaking chassis when i got home and most of my acetone has evaporated! I guess my makeshift lid for my soak pan didn't fit tight enough . I'll take it to work tonight and wipe it down with some more acetone to get rid of the last layer of primer. On my lunch hour of course! When i looked at it this AM i noticed that the words blue were scratched in the last layer of primer on nose plate and chassis like someone was marking it for someone else to paint it blue . I'm pretty sure that it was factory blue paint job, does anyone know when associated first started painting chassis? RACIN

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

never. Either anodized or powdercoated. But your photo it looks like there is gold there, so it's probably a gold tub. It may have a more 'professional' paint finish on it, if so, hopefully they didn't sand it down to make a flat chassis and remove the anodizing.

R.A.C.I.N

Post by R.A.C.I.N »

Thanks for the info, I thought the colored chassis I've seen were painted cause they were really scratched up! So far most of the gold ano appears to be in good shape, If it was sanded they didn't do an even job. There are some scratches but they appear to be consistent with driving on dirt or asphalt. I'm quite familiar with asphalt scratches cause i put lights on my RC10 and would chase cars down the road , late on saturday nights lol. When i was young and foolish of course!! RACIN P.s. don't tell my kids!!!!

raserx08
Approved Member

Post by raserx08 »

You can try goof off its a paint remover I have used it to remove paint with out it affecting the annodizing. Just put some on a rag and wipe it it should rub right out. I'm not sure of soaking overnight though I haven't tried that.

muziyi

Post by muziyi »

Maybe can be used to wet cleaning, it's just an idea