New Cat SX - Impressive Parts!

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lifeIsAnalog
Approved Member

New Cat SX - Impressive Parts!

Post by lifeIsAnalog »

I have never owner a Schumacher product, but I ran across a new Cat SX and decided to get it. I must say - I'm blown away by the high quality of the components. I have no idea how it handles, but the parts are premium! Are all Schumacher buggies like that?
IMG_6063r.JPG

If I build it, Ill be sure to post some pics.
Romans 5:8

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: New Cat SX - Impressive Parts!

Post by Lonestar »

yes, they're usually gorgeous pieces of (overengineered) kit that don't work any better than a cheapo plastic B4 or an agricultural B44, but require some setup knowledge to handle well. It takes more than bling to go fast... but still they sure do go as fast as anything else in the right hands :)

Schumacher is discounting the SVR's very heavily in Europe these days... I'm really tempted to buy a kit for long-time keeps as it kinda bombed on the market...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

It's funny you mention the SVR. I too have been tempted by the big price drop, it just does not seem to have been well received. I've hear that it is a good car, but that the SV2 is quicker (not easier to drive though), even in the wet where you would expect the SVR to be better. I might still get one though, the SV2 is a tough car to drive on the edge in the wet and my skill level would probably benefit from an easier car to drive in slick conditions.

Oh, and to the original poster, the modern Schumachers have amazing build quality, yes perhaps a bit over engineered but still very quick.

Paul.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Must admit that i've been very impressed with the quality of the individual components of modern Schumachers.... I understand that they out-source many of the very detailed machined parts overseas (China?) which I guess helps keep costs feasible.

However I know that they have experienced some quality irregularities also - when Schumacher first released the Cougar SV there were problems with the idler gears & also problems with the anodising falling off inside the shock bodies! My mate runs an Mi4 touring car with which it seems he has endless driveshaft issues - the later CX version sought to solve the problem with a new design - but to replace all the parts necessary, it would cost nearly as much as a new car!

Another lad at my local club has just brought one of the new Mi5s - now that does look sweet!

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

I remember the anodizing flaking off the inside of my SX2 and SV shock bodies :lol: When changing shock oils it was like the glitter glue my daughter uses. A quick phone call to Schumacher though, and I had them all replaced with an updated version of the bodies. Free of charge :)

I remember the SV idler issue too, I had a first gen SV but never had the problem myself, although many others did. Did Schumacher not come out with a slightly updated gearbox case to solve the issue?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

CAT3K wrote:I remember the anodizing flaking off the inside of my SX2 and SV shock bodies :lol: When changing shock oils it was like the glitter glue my daughter uses. A quick phone call to Schumacher though, and I had them all replaced with an updated version of the bodies. Free of charge :)
Yes I should have said that Schumacher were only too pleased to replace the defective shock bodies on my racing buddy's SV when the problem showed itself :D

I think cars from all manufacturers have some weak point or teething issues, especially with the early releases - the TeamC TM2 that I am racing has a number of little issues which needed addressing (or keeping an eye on). Most issues with new cars seem to be transmission related - perhaps manufacturers are still getting to grips with the torque available from today's brushless motors?

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Schumacher customer care and service is great. I am confident any issues would be quickly sorted out.
GARBO 1/8

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

My first Schumacher was the SX3 Pro and the fit and finish was quite nice. The shocks where a breeze to bleed and where very smooth. I raced it a whole 3 times... Been sitting collecting dust for almost a year now. I too was impressed with the build quality and the car works well enough, just not many people consistently running 4wd buggy down in San Diego and now I'm in Okinawa which is far worse on the race front.

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

I currently race a K1 and SVR on our dirt track.
Before the K1 I had an SX3.
All 3 cars are very well made, I always get guys at our track wanting to look at the cars.
I'm sure you'll have a great time with the SX, just know up front they do require a little bit more maintenance that 2wd cars.

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

stulec52 wrote:I currently race a K1 and SVR on our dirt track.
Before the K1 I had an SX3.
All 3 cars are very well made, I always get guys at our track wanting to look at the cars.
I'm sure you'll have a great time with the SX, just know up front they do require a little bit more maintenance that 2wd cars.
How do you like going back to the 2 belt setup? The 3 belt is a pain in the butt to maintain sometimes (changing front belts makes me want to stab kittens in the face!). Drivetrain just never seems to be as free as I think it should be.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

madweazl wrote:
stulec52 wrote:The 3 belt is a pain in the butt to maintain sometimes (changing front belts makes me want to stab kittens in the face!). Drivetrain just never seems to be as free as I think it should be.
Did you have to change belts ony after 3 meetings? :shock:

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Lonestar wrote:
madweazl wrote:
stulec52 wrote:The 3 belt is a pain in the butt to maintain sometimes (changing front belts makes me want to stab kittens in the face!). Drivetrain just never seems to be as free as I think it should be.
Did you have to change belts ony after 3 meetings? :shock:
The reinforced belts werent in stock when I ordered the car but came in shortly after so I swapped it out. The mid belt did start to fray after the first couple of races though. Didnt think it would take as much of a beating as the others but I was wrong lol.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

madweazl wrote:The reinforced belts werent in stock when I ordered the car but came in shortly after so I swapped it out. The mid belt did start to fray after the first couple of races though. Didnt think it would take as much of a beating as the others but I was wrong lol.

wow :?

thanks
Paul