My "very late" RC10 CE

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BWX
Approved Member

My "very late" RC10 CE

Post by BWX »

This is the car from this thread- "25 YEARS OF THE RC10 (updated 9/6/10)"
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13059&start=105#p170577

These are old pics, but I'll get some new ones with better cam up soon.. And I'll use this thread to show any upgrades or restoration I do in the future.

This is the only hobby grade RC car I have ever owned. I bought it around 1998-1999 or so at a local pawn shop, and it was in really good condition except for the body. It had a really nasty old "viper" body that I threw away. I got an RC10 B2 body and modded it to fit and have been using that ever since. I don't run it much anymore, but I get it out and run through the NiMH 3400 mAh Tenergy pack a few times to keep it alive once in a while. Most of the time I run my micro helis for RC fun lately.

I raced it in a small local club for a couple years right after I got it, and did pretty good. I was running against a few gold pans, B2 and B3 buggies and an assortment of other stuff. It wasn't anything official but it was fun and it had a few indoor tracks. One was a dirt oval, one an "off road" track, and in the really cold winter we ran on a small plywood oval.. I ended up moving out of town and ever since have just run the thing for fun.

It has all bearings everywhere including Stealth trans, MIP CVDs, a pretty fast servo with metal gears, titanium turnbuckles, and runs pretty good with it's original Novak Rooster that it came with. I think there's a 15 turn triple in there.. a "Speed Gems" brand I think. Its pretty fast for a brushed motor on NiMh. The front looks different because I was experimenting with a custom made front bumper/ different suspension geometry when I was running it on hard surfaces (10+ years ago) and just left it like that. I always planned on returning it to stock someday but never got around to it. I have some dirt tires on there now on stock one piece wheels that hook up nice on gravel and dirt. I have these (shown) for running on blacktop, etc. It's actually extremely tough and durable with that bumper on there. It's extremely tough plastic that came from some sort of barrel that was cut up for guard rails that were used at the track I used to run at. I just cut it out and used it one day after breaking multiple bumpers that I bought at hobby shops. This thing never breaks, ever. Even in extremely cold weather, and it saves all the front suspension parts from any damage 99% of the time.

It's in pretty good condition for all that it's been through, and runs perfectly still. I may get another viper or proline body and paint it up nice, and maybe get a new gold pan or black pan, and maybe go brushless, but I'll probably just leave the old motor in it. As much as I use it, it works fine for that. I can always just get some new cheap NiMh packs if I want to run it more often and they're cheaper than li-polys.

Old pics..

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Some low res pics of original box (I will take better pics of this soon too).

I'll get more/ better/ more up-to-date pics up sometime soon.. And also pics of any updates and restoration.
RC10 CE "late" with included Rooster ESC (#6014)

BWX
Approved Member

Re: My RC10 CE

Post by BWX »

Latest pics (Dec 2014) Before major upgrades and new body.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Looks like a great runner!, I have not seen that box before :?

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

marlo wrote:Looks like a great runner!, I have not seen that box before :?
Thanks!

In process of fixing original post.. not sure what is going on with pics not showing up at first, but I think I am fixing it slowly.

That box is kind of rare apparently, and I posted it in that "25 years" thread, but then the pics must have quit working a long time ago. At one point I could not log into this forum back then to fit it and eventually I just gave up. It's working now though, so I fixed them.

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

Well I got out my RC10 a couple months ago to try out some FPV gear I bought for my RC airplanes.. she still drives great.

Funny thing is the 5.8ghz FPV gear interfered with my old 72mhz radio/ Rx.. I decided at that time that I would get a cheap 2.4ghz setup, and possibly go brushless at some point in time just to make the RC10 more usable in general, and I also have a bunch of 3S 45-90C lipos that I use in my RC airplanes, so if I go brushless I could use them too. All my Nimh batts are old and tired and/or dead.

I even hooked up a 3S lipo to the Rooster that the car came with just to see what would happen, and it actually worked!!
I didn't push it too hard, and it was about 45F that day.. but I was amazed it ran at all.

So yesterday I finally ordered a bunch of stuff for my old RC10. The first parts I bought for it in maybe 10 years besides a Nimh pack about 5 years ago.

Hopefully this motor will bolt right up.. If not maybe someone could let me know how to hook it up?

Maybe you guys might give me some advice about what pinion/spur to use? I have a recently (in hours run, not time) rebuilt Stealth, MIP CVDs, and full bearings in everything including transmission.

Will 3S power just destroy everything? :?: If so maybe I can still run 3S and just limit throttle? Not sure if that will damage ESC or motor to run it say, 1/2 throttle all the time. :?:

Well here is the stuff I got.. Can't wait to get it all installed, and body painted. I think it'll breath some new life into the old beast. All I need now is a good supply of tires because I don't have that many. Seems 2.0" tires are harder to come by. What I need are some "beater" tires that will hold up to some mild bashing and last a long time, but still have relatively good traction on gravel and dirt. For pavement I will use the road hawgs. Maybe it would be wise to upgrade car to 2.2 wheels? Not sure if I'd need to change spindles or CVDs though butI don't really want to do that.

Team Associated Brushless ESC - XP SC700-BL & Reedy 3300kv 540r Motor sc10 rs
This should be fun!

Associated 6162 RC10 Turbo Mirage Body

Associated 6182 High Down Force Wing 5 1/2

Associated 2ch 2.4Ghz Radio System XP2G Transmitter / TRS403SSi- Receiver

Oh, and I took some more recent pics.. I got my HPI super star wheels and road hawg tires back on now.. and it's not all jacked up now either, but this RC10 should be looking much better very soon!

New pics - (post above)
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=344360#p344360

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

From JC Racing (Not J Concepts), you can order 2.2 wheels, that look like the HPI stars, that are a direct bolt on fit for your RC10. Then just slap on what ever modern tire you want :)

http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/products/

There are many examples of them on RC10s throughout the forum. Yes, they are from the UK, but shipping doesnt seem all that bad.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

JK Racing wrote:From JC Racing (Not J Concepts), you can order 2.2 wheels, that look like the HPI stars, that are a direct bolt on fit for your RC10. Then just slap on what ever modern tire you want :)

http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/products/

There are many examples of them on RC10s throughout the forum. Yes, they are from the UK, but shipping doesnt seem all that bad.
Yup I have seen those in several builds, just never found that website.

Well that was the main concern, running out of tires, or having to change axles out just to fit new bigger tires. So that will be good. I am sure I will go through tires faster with 4x the speed and power.

Thanks!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I had this in my runner at one point and its not a bad setup. It's quite smooth and okay power - way more than what you probably have now.

It does bolt right up, no mods needed.

I ran it with a 21t pinion and 81t spur gear and used a lipo on it.

I wanted more power and speed so I eventually switched it out for a Castle 4600 setup which was another level of fast.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

RC104ever wrote:I had this in my runner at one point and its not a bad setup. It's quite smooth and okay power - way more than what you probably have now.

It does bolt right up, no mods needed.

I ran it with a 21t pinion and 81t spur gear and used a lipo on it.

I wanted more power and speed so I eventually switched it out for a Castle 4600 setup which was another level of fast.
Awesome, thanks for info. Did you run that setup on 3S ever? I would think that would be kinda crazy.

On the wheels... I was thinking the wheels form re-re RC10 worlds would fit, but wonder if they are the same setup, and if I could use the same bearings up front, etc.. I'm looking through the "*Parts needed to run modern 2.2 rims/tires on your rc10*" thread. Gets kind of confusing though.
I am not using flanged bearing up front now, but the HPI fronts do have a spacer in there.

I'll still get some jcracing wheels, but just wondering about the rere worlds setup. They look like they would fit front and rear.

-edit- just found rere forum... I'll check it out.

-------------------------
Ok so doing some research.. and looking at manual for my car.. (also just note to self, LOL)

Front wheels were the #6854 front (3 piece w/ ring). I still have those and they still fit too..

bearings for front wheels #6906 3/16" x 3/8" plain bearing.

- rere worlds car front wheels use same bearing.. so.. should fit I guess (if wheels clear)

So I just ordered two sets of jcracing 5 spoke wheels. One white set and one black. Came to less than $40 for two complete sets of wheels, so that is pretty good really. Now I don't ever have to worry about using up my 2.0" tire collection. Good deal!

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

So I guess these are the "before" shots..

I still like these wheels better than the jcracing wheels, but they aren't 2.2in.. Too bad they don't make them in 2.2"

ImageImage

ImageImage

Some more closer shots of chassis... etc.

I remember opening this up and putting metal gears in it about 15 years ago..

Look at that old thing..
ImageImage
Trusty old Rooster...

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

The re-re worlds uses different rear axles and b4 front wheels. The fronts will work but wrong offset. The rears will not fit without an axle change.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

Yup I was just looking at some threads about that on the rere forum.

Oh well, thank god for jcconcepts then.

I mean if I had to I could start changing stuff and make it fit B4 wheels all around or whatever, but then I couldn't just slap on my old wheels whenever I felt like it like I can now. So yeah I am glad those jcracing wheels exist!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Just added the info and pics to the 25 year thread thanks!

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

Sweet! I was just about to get that box back out and take some better pics with a real camera, but then I fell asleep! LOL.

I'll have to do it tomorrow.

BWX
Approved Member

Post by BWX »

Just got some more goodies for my RC10..

Because it was almost no shipping and came with a short antenna.. Re-Re Worlds car toolkit

"TEAM ASSOCIATED NEW VINTAGE RC10 TOOLS ANTENNA SERVO TAPE"

To convert back to stock geometry..
"TEAM ASSOCIATED 6002 1/10 RC10 WORLD'S CAR FRONT CHASSIS TUBES"

"TEAM ASSOCIATED 6002 1/10 RC10 WORLD'S CAR FRONT KICK PLATE"
ImageImage

Also some more "before" pics...

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I guess there's no reason to baby this thing.. it's well used... and new pans are relatively cheap now.

Image Image

I don't think the stock geometry will do as well on pavement as this did though... it worked quite well.
Bullet proof too.
Image Image

I won races with this thing!