YZ What??

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

_timmy_
Approved Member

YZ What??

Post by _timmy_ »

So, after a couple of months delay due to work issues, i was finally able to take delivery of a few new cars to add to the family! This is the first and the one that's causing the most headaches!! The previous owner thought it was a works '91, i'm not sure what it is.
Rear arms possibly CML15 from the Drescher conversion/edition?
Front one way hubs - Team Suzuki?
Front arms - RPM?
Think i'll leave the rest to those more qualified amongst us to enlighten me...... thanks in advance
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: YZ What??

Post by stickboy007 »

Well it's not a '91 anymore, that's for sure ;)

Looks like the upper deck, lower deck, and rear tower are all made from the same weave. The lower deck is not angled like the '91 and '92 but still fits 7 cells. Interesting. Possibly Fibre-Lyte or ComCom (same thing). I have a ComCom '94 upper deck with a similar weave.

The bulkheads are painted black ?!?

Lots of weird stuff going on here, but I think it's pretty cool. Definitely a "hybrid" Works chassis.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Might be the factory black nylon bulkheads. I never heard of them,, till I saw some on feebay,,, got them heading my way.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Black plastic bulkheads exist- I have two styles. The electric yr4 has a cutout for a bumper on the lower part of the front bulkhead. That's the ZR-300S. They also made one without the cutout, which I also have but no part number.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Is there a difference in kick up between the 2 styles of front bulk heads?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Not that I have noticed
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

I like that, nice find buddy!

lee

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

shell is a protech II...nice

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Looks like someone has tried to build their own version of a Drescher.

Kyosho Optima Mid C hubs and steering arms, with RPM front wishbones for Optima Mid.
Fibrelyte chassis, top deck and rear shock mount. Chassis looks like 870C with the battery slots moved forwards.
CML Drescher rear arms.
Fastrax YZ10 body, made by CML.
Bulkheads could be from the YR4, or could just be white ones dyed black.

_timmy_
Approved Member

Post by _timmy_ »

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I've started stripping the car back to give it a bit of a clean and investigate a bit deeper into its dna!

The bulkheads fr and rr are black nylon, the caps look like they've been died though. The front arms and steering knuckles are rpm parts. Which brings me to the front uj driveshafts and hubs....the hubs are secured to the driveshafts by way of a circlip at the end, ohh and they are ballraced and they operate as one way bearings too......(see photos below). Seems a bit of overkill having one way hubs on the car too or does it actualy serve any other purpose?

Gotto say too, the more i look at the body, the more i like it and the feel it gives the car, are they still available or repro'd anywhere?
Attachments
10.jpg
11.jpg

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I like the idea of 1 way hubs. Does it have any kind of front diff? Usually 1 way hubs will be accompanied by either a spool, or another 1 way in the diff.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

_timmy_ wrote: Which brings me to the front uj driveshafts and hubs....the hubs are secured to the driveshafts by way of a circlip at the end, ohh and they are ballraced and they operate as one way bearings too......(see photos below). Seems a bit of overkill having one way hubs on the car too or does it actualy serve any other purpose?
Not that uncommon in the early days, it was standard on early Schumacher buggies with a front differential and one ways built into the driveshafts. It means you have the front differential action under power, but when braking and cornering the one ways disengage. By having the one ways in the hubs it means the front differential doesn't affect the one way action, if a one way on the layshaft is used instead while you would get the front wheels freewheeling the front wheels are still connected together through the differential. Running a tight diff with a layshaft one way will kill your turn in steering, having hub mounted one ways the wheels are free to rotate independently giving more steering.

Gotto say too, the more i look at the body, the more i like it and the feel it gives the car, are they still available or repro'd anywhere?
Nope, CML found a load of them in their warehouse 5 years ago and sold them all on ebay for £7 each. Team Bluegroove make aProtech 4which is similar.

_timmy_
Approved Member

Post by _timmy_ »

Thanks for the explanation Terry.

Obviously the yokes all have the one way on the centre pully already, so would there then be a need to 'lock' these if using the one way hubs too? Or would it not matter?
Also, and forgive me if i'm being simple, if the benefits of the oneway hubs are that great, why were they not more widespread and why did most manufacturers opt for the one way on the layshaft instead? I haven't seen any before on a yoke....

Don't suppose you know who manufactured these either out of interest? They are obviously yokomo specific ( i presume!) and appears they are manufactured to match the team suzuki items

Tim

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

I was going to say how much i hate the boxy Yokomo body shells, but that Fastrax is a winner TBH Timmy, makes the car, a nice little jewel in this cars crown!

lee

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Those hubs look like team suzuki. i have seen other 1 way hubs for yokomo on ebay, but cannot remember manufacturer,, I thought team suzuki. Rw racing made 1 way dogbone axle shafts for top force,, so perhaps rw? As for the benefits: On a high traction track, the more free the drive train can be made the faster the car will go. By incorporating 1 ways in the hubs, and on the layshaft, it would remove ALL the drag from the front drive train while off throttle. So, off throttle, the front diff and belt would not even spin with the wheels. They would just spin on their own and slow down a little, but not add drag to the car at all. Then once again ON throttle, all 4 wheels would get power. Having 1 way hubs would also mostly eliminate the need for front diff. Thats an extremely interesting car! The body is beautifully painted, and I really admire the technical specifications. Looks like it has a slipper clutch too? Looks like an early TRF inspired paint job,, very cool.