thinking of buying this zxr, advice please!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tamiyaterror
Approved Member

thinking of buying this zxr, advice please!

Post by Tamiyaterror »

hi guys, some of you may have seen my earlier post asking for help identifying a lazer, well the one i was looking at wasnt infact a zxr, however i have now been offered one, complete with box, manual, and a heap of n.i.p spares. just wanted your thoughts, its been owned from new by its current owner, its not cheap, but its a zx-r and looks original. thoughts please[URL=http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/nc30chris/media/6F6AFE00-713D-481B-984A-F752E4CBF3CD.jpg.html][img]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r567/nc30chris/6F6AFE00-713D-481B-984A-F752E4CBF3CD.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/nc30chris/media/5FE6D5B5-4945-4A55-BBEF-ECA2D21B9A43.jpg.html][img]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r567/nc30chris/5FE6D5B5-4945-4A55-BBEF-ECA2D21B9A43.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/nc30chris/media/33DE2E89-543B-4247-BFB6-7B8BE19F3230.jpg.html][img]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r567/nc30chris/33DE2E89-543B-4247-BFB6-7B8BE19F3230.jpg[/img][/url]
i did have a few more pictures including the spares, but like a fool managed to delete them!

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: thinking of buying this zxr, advice please!

Post by DennisM »

You should´ve taken the first one You had on hand :mrgreen:

This one could be a fine buggy, but pictures ain´t the best. If seller can´t provide daylight pictures - then just lowball him :wink:
The obvious is the worn anodizing on the shocks - this alone keeps the price down. Unoriginal/painted rims, doesn´t do the value any good either.

Check if the front bulkhead/gearbox is broken, they´re pretty expensive.
Gone fishing

Tamiyaterror
Approved Member

Post by Tamiyaterror »

cheers for the info, ive asked for a few better pics of it, which ill post when i get them, i have got a nos set of wheels / tyres for the zxr. just need some advice on it when i get the other pics across, to make sure its all as it should be. the only thing that put me off the last one was it wasnt a genuine zxr, but it is still on offer, so if this one turns out a non starter then i can always go back to it. this one however needs deep pockets, seller will sell it but for £300 gbp!

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

That's a ZX-R Mk2. You can see the alloy brace above the motor wraps around it, that is the most obvious way to tell. Kyosho moved the batteries back in the chassis for better weight distribution so the Mk2 version has a longer top deck and new motor mount and brace to move the rear top deck mount back in the chassis.

But if he wants £300 for it, walk away. It's worth about a third of that and only a bargain if you have £200 worth of spares with it. Compare it with this recent ebay sale.

Tamiyaterror
Approved Member

Post by Tamiyaterror »

thanks guys, im gutted as ive been after one for a while. but i dont wanna pay well over the odds.
does anyone know of somebody who has one to sell? ive got £300 to spend so im guessing that should get me a good one lol!

Tamiyaterror
Approved Member

Post by Tamiyaterror »

Guys, found this overpriced example in eBay, not thinking of buying it but what's the deal with the shocks? I don't know a great deal about zxr's, I know this is a mk2 but did any have these non gold type shocks? [URL=http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/nc30chris/media/240F6C75-9D23-403A-9415-3342E753018C.png.html][img]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r567/nc30chris/240F6C75-9D23-403A-9415-3342E753018C.png[/img][/url]

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

That's not a ZX-R Mk2, it's a ZX-RR.

The differences are the better Ultimate shocks instead of the gold shocks and the much better Hyper Clutch instead of the ZX-R slipper, apart from that they are identical. The ZX-R Mk2 was a budget version of the ZX-RR with the expensive upgrades removed.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

It´s a nice buggy - but overpriced as You mentioned.
Gone fishing

Tamiyaterror
Approved Member

Post by Tamiyaterror »

Thanks for the advice guys, I was only 11 when I had my one of these so my memory is sketchy to say the least! Out of interest which is the most desirable version to have?

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

The most desirable for You - would be the one that You´re craving for :D
The hardest to find, IMO, would be the ZX-S and the ZX-S Evo - not many of these around.
Gone fishing

Tamiyaterror
Approved Member

Post by Tamiyaterror »

cheers dennis, a good point raised, ideally id like a nice clean one that i can possibly use in a vintage class, im not really fussed if its a mk1 or mk2 or whatever.. but i think ill also keep my eye out for an unused of n.i.b kit to keep as a shelf queen. no doubt ill be back soon to ask some more advice.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Frankly, you should have bought the first one you showed in your other topic, it was a much more interesting car than these. Also, waiting for a completely original Lazer in a good condition (or NIB or new) is likely going to cost you more than picking up several parts cars and building one good Lazer out of them...

Tamiyaterror
Approved Member

Post by Tamiyaterror »

your probably right, especially considering the huge price difference between that one and the other two ive been offered. i appreciate the advice you guys have given me do far, ironically enough the 1st car i mentioned is still for sale, ive saved a few more pennies since then so i may just snap it up, it just looked like a bit of a dog which put me off, was advertised with the spares for £160 but like you say its different. i might see if i can do a deal!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Tamiyaterror wrote:your probably right, especially considering the huge price difference between that one and the other two ive been offered. i appreciate the advice you guys have given me do far, ironically enough the 1st car i mentioned is still for sale, ive saved a few more pennies since then so i may just snap it up, it just looked like a bit of a dog which put me off, was advertised with the spares for £160 but like you say its different. i might see if i can do a deal!
Try to get it down a little bit.

Another thing you can do is to be on the lookout for a Lazer Sport - basically a budget Lazer ZX with plastic chassis, cheap shocks, and no slipper, which makes it less desirable - but the other parts are genuine Lazer ZX parts. Should go for 50-100 bucks. Great for spares.
On the other hand, avoid the Lazer 2000/Alpha (recognizable by the plastic tub chassis and different arms), as the plastics used are cheap as f*ck and most of the parts are slightly different from a ZX.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

The car had the evolution shocks on, they did a gold version of those as well but the ones pictured were the upgrade for this model. Ellis used those shocks to win the Euros with his car. But surprised how expensive these have been going for recently and think they dont realise they arent worth more than £200 with spares unlessit has a tub chassis on, and other mods which it doesnt.

If a zxs and ive got one then your looking for a minimum of £400 and can hit just over a grand (thats the value of mine)
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/